Lacquer as a sealer?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy H.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a good reason not to use brushing lacquer to seal balsa fins and nosecones prior to additional finishing?

I've used sanding sealer and polyurethane in the past, but I wondered if lacquer would also be an option. Not really sure about paint compatibility and thought that might be a concern.

Just wondering.

Sandy.

You can lay just about anything over laquer if it's curred, but remember-everytime you wet it with something it shrinks a tick. Actually laquer continues to shrink for quite a while anyway.

It might not be as thick as some other options. Hence, you might need to spray or brush a lot of it on in order to work well. Also, it dries sort of hard so it might be more difficult to sand without cutting into the balsa.

There is a lacquer sanding sealer that fills balsa well and can be sanded after about half an hour to an hour depending on how thick you put it on and temperature/humidity. I let it dry at least 24 hours (48 is better) before putting anything over it. I've used Krylon, Duplicolor and Plastikote lacquers(auto store), Rustoleum, and Testor's enamel paints over it with no problems. You can pick it up in spray cans of for brushing at a woodworking store like Woodcraft.

Thanks for the information. Part of what I was thinking was the fast drying time. I'm doing another woodworking project and noticed that it dries almost too fast!

I think I'll give it a shot. I'll also look for the sanding sealer. I remember that as a kid, but don't have any on hand that acts the same.

Thanks again!

Sandy.

Check out the Dreft spray sanding sealer. I get it at Lowes. I hav'nt looked but it might be laquer based. It drys like --RIGHT NOW-- Try it

Back