Estes Hyper Bat - BATMAN build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The paint is amazing!
Great contrast and really sets of the lines of the fins.

I like yours much better than just the plain black on the Estes face card!

Wow, that is such a cool looking rocket! And I think I learned a few things about masking and painting from reading about your build.

Wow! Great paint plan.
That'll look amazing. I'll be following the mask.

On the Batrok I did Batman colors, but based it on the costume colors from the old Adam West TV series.
This is no where near what you've got planned.

Funny, I decided to do something similar with my Batrok. My scheme was based on the Batman the Brave and the Bold" cartoon my son watches:

image-completed-batrok-600-400-111611212006779.jpg

I've been thinking about getting a hyper bat and doing something like it again. :)

Last edited:
I'm almost done here. Just a few things left to do.

To give the rocket a final touch I'm going to make a decal for the upper yellow section. I found an image online of a logo from the old batman show and used a bitmap editor to make sure the white areas are all white. Most printers won't print white, so when you're printing a decal that part becomes transparent unless you've got white backed decal paper.

The logo I'm printing has the word BATMAN in white, so the yellow from the upper section will show through and the letters will be yellow. If I had left the logo like I found it, the white areas might have some off-white printed in the letters and that would keep the yellow from showing through as much and it would probably look bad.

I printed a few sizes on regular paper first and picked a good size for the decal. Then I copied the logo so 4 would print, just in case one messed up. Here is the decal sheet just out of the printer:
45 Decals.jpg.jpg

According to the decal sheet instruction I let the ink dry for a while and then sprayed it with stuff to coat the ink side. Apparently this will let the ink stay on when soaking the decal for application. I'll try and apply tomorrow and see what happens.

Having given the decal a full day to set up (I have no idea how long it actually needed and hope that a day is enough) I took a look at the decals to pick one to use. I'm glad I printed multiple copies because I noticed one had a huge piece of fuzz that had stuck to the middle of one of them. Another one had something else, but two were good so I just picked one of those.

46 Cut out Decal.jpg.jpg

I cut it fairly close to the printed image, leaving about a 1/16" all around. The instructions say to soak it in water for only 5 seconds and then let it sit on a paper towel. It's a little different than a regular decal because the printer ink could run if left in the water too long.

It only took about 4 minutes before the decal could slide off the paper backing. I used my finger to put some water on the rocket tube where the decal would go and started sliding. It wrinkled a little but using the backing I was able to flatten it and squeegee out the water behind it.

47 Decal on rocket.jpg

It looked just like I wanted it to!!! Woo-HOO!!!!

So I set the rocket up on the desk with my growing collection of rockets to give the decal a couple of days to dry. A few coats of clear enamel this weekend and it'll be finished.

Attachments

• 48 Decal drying.jpg
    48 Decal drying.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 237
All that work....

Today I took my son out to fly some rockets and we started with the R2-D2. It flew well and worked great. The next was the Batman Hyper-Bat rocket.

I decided not to fly it as a 2 stage rocket today since we were in a school field and I knew we'd need more room to recover something that went too high. I was even worried that the single stage would go too high, but there was very little wind and the R2-D2 nearly came straight down so I wasn't worried. My son put the rocket in place and I took a picture of it on the pad.

01 Batman Hyper-Bat on launch pad.jpg

After I connected the wires to the controller he did the count down and I managed to get a picture of the launch too. So far so good. Notice the really tall trees in the background?

02 Batman Hyper-Bat take off.jpg

It shot straight up and did a fine pitch over and the chute ejection happened barely in sight. If it had gone any higher I don't think I would have been able to see it. I took this picture by just aiming the camera up and snapping a pic, and when I got home and zoomed in I was happy to see that it's a picture shortly after the chute popped out.

03 Batman Hyper-Bat good chute.jpg

As it floated down it started creeping towards the edge of the field and I ran over, thinking it might go over the fence and I'd have trouble getting it back. But it was worse than that, the rocket landed at the very top of a very tall pine tree. Can you see it in this picture? It's right in the middle.

04 Batman Hyper-Bat in tree top.jpg

I zoomed in and moved over slightly to get a better picture.

05 Batman Hyper-Bat in tree close.jpg

So the rocket is gone. Dang it. I suppose I'll order another kit someday and build a replacement. Fortunately I kept the hardest part of this at home, the Batman colored wings on the first stage. So when I rebuild it I'll have a lot less to do.

(heavy sigh)

Well, it looks like it's dangling from the very end of a tree branch, so I'd definitely swing by there every couple of days or so.

Sometimes the rocket gods taketh and sometimes they giveth back.

:eyeroll:

So going on the assumption that not ALL 2-Stage rockets are lost, I decided to keep this one as a 2-Stage and build it per the instructions.

Someone just pointed out this line from my opening post in this thread to me.

Oh the irony. :cry:

I'm getting another kit though, and I'll definitely rebuild the main section to use with my bat wings from the lost rocket.

I'm getting another kit though, and I'll definitely rebuild the main section to use with my bat wings from the lost rocket.

Sorry you lost your rocket- I just built one with a much more modest paintjob, but I'm confused about launching it as a single stage.

What holds the engine in place? Seems to me as soon as it stops producing forward thrust, it's gonna either drop out the bottom of the upper stage and/or shoot out once the secondary blast fires. Seems to me it might not even be able to blow off the nose cone.

I must be missing something here...

-Drew

Sorry you lost your rocket- I just built one with a much more modest paintjob, but I'm confused about launching it as a single stage.

What holds the engine in place? Seems to me as soon as it stops producing forward thrust, it's gonna either drop out the bottom of the upper stage and/or shoot out once the secondary blast fires. Seems to me it might not even be able to blow off the nose cone.

I must be missing something here...

-Drew

The upper stage is a friction fit. If you fly it as a one stage you might want to wrap a piece or two of tape around the engine to make sure it doesn't slide easily, and you'll be okay.

more irony from post #8

"The result is tubes that are a lot stronger on the edges. This is especially good for the motor tubes that will have a LOT of inserting and removing of motors (that is unless the thing ends up in a tree after the first launch)"

Wow. You put a ton of work into that. Looks great. Here is what I did for my Batman...
desktop.jpg

Keep visiting back to the field. There's a chance it will come down on it's own....or low enough that a wind gust might free it.... (well, you can hope...)

It's been almost two years since the tree got it. ;)

I've been back several times since for various school functions and it's long gone. But that's okay, a few months after it was lost I built the replacement.

Back