Question about plastic primer...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketManDan

Reaction score
I bought some Rustoleum Plastic primer. See below link.

https://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=119

I will be using this on the fins and the nose cone on my Aerotech Kit. What I want to know is what are my options when applying this. Should I just use it on the plastic fins and nose cone and then come back over with a high build primer before laying down my top coat? Also does it have any reaction to card board tubes? Should I just spray the fin can area with it and not worry about it getting it on the airframe??

I have not used the Rustoleum brand.

But I do use the Valspar. I have gone both ways, sprayed the entire rocket with the plastic primer, or just the plastic pieces. Seems to work either way. Since the Valspar plastic primer is clear, I usually lay a coat of the regular primer on top of the plastic primer so everything has the same base. Don't know if its necessary, just the way I like to do it.

I agree with TREX, but also:

The primer you described sounds like it may contain an adhesive promoter, but it might not contain enough of it. You'll know soon enough I guess. Otherwise, you could buy an adhesive promoter and primer over it.

I agree with TREX, but also:

The primer you described sounds like it may contain an adhesive promoter, but it might not contain enough of it. You'll know soon enough I guess. Otherwise, you could buy an adhesive promoter and primer over it.

Thanks Guys ...Jeff you are probably right, but I think I will try just to use the plastic primer and then prime over it with some high build. Not going mask anything off by the fins if it doesn't hurt the airframe. If I get over spray on it no big deal... I need to hire a painter LOL Just so many projects on my bench right now. Jeff saw your videos. Going to grab a good respirator before I do any painting...might go with 3M. I never knew that one was necessary when spraying out doors, but I guess you can never be too safe.

Thanks Guys ...Jeff you are probably right, but I think I will try just to use the plastic primer and then prime over it with some high build. Not going mask anything off by the fins if it doesn't hurt the airframe. If I get over spray on it no big deal... I need to hire a painter LOL Just so many projects on my bench right now. Jeff saw your videos. Going to grab a good respirator before I do any painting...might go with 3M. I never knew that one was necessary when spraying out doors, but I guess you can never be too safe.

I'm not one to be anal retentive about safety; I can't stand that cr@p. But when it comes to lungs and vital organs (kidneys), I listen. Very smart move for you to buy a respirator, you'll be glad you did- one less thing to worry about.

I'm not one to be anal retentive about safety; I can't stand that cr@p. But when it comes to lungs and vital organs (kidneys), I listen. Very smart move for you to buy a respirator, you'll be glad you did- one less thing to worry about.

Which one did you get? I saw the video, was it made by 3M?? I also have dust masks for sanding...

It kind of funny, not haha but you know when we were younger, we thought nothing painting stuff around the house with spray cans and just never gave it much thought? We were kids/teenagers ... and back then is when the paint was really bad for you. When I get setup with my compressor and spray gun I am going to want a good respirator.

Last edited:
I've tried the Rustoleum plastic primer and plastic paint on several rockets now. So far the primer sticks to the glassine coating on bodytubes fairly well with minimal/no prescuffing. It also sticks to wood very well with the usual soaking in. It doesn't seem to soak in quite as bad as lacquer or oil based paint/primer. Also the primer sticks to Gorilla glue not badly either.

Between the plastic primer and plastic paint the results aren't bad at all.

Pics to follow when the basecoat white on my High-Q is dry.

Would be wise to do a test spray on something to see if the Rustoleum and the high build are chemically compatible.

There has been a lot of grief expressed on the large scale train forums about incompatible spray paint brands and finding that out the hard way.

I've never seen the Rustoleum "Plastic Primer Spray" linked to above.

What I use is the automotive version, Rustoleum "Plastic Primer" (notice the difference in the name) that I buy at the local Autozone stores. I follow the instructions on the can to laying down the initial primer coat on nose cones. After it's achieved maximum bond (7 days), I shoot my normal Rustoleum primer as needed. Haven't had any problems at all.

Here's my link: Rustoleum Plastic Primer

Lately my primer of of choice has become the Rustoleum Ultra 2X Primer in white as I shoot mostly fluorescent pink and it pops better over white primer than gray. The Ultra 2X also seems to spray "faster".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back