Painting Tutorial #3 -Colors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffgeraci

Reaction score
[YOUTUBE]ZSxSaSbWHn0[/YOUTUBE]

Choosing the ideal color scheme can be fun, or it can be a chore- your choice. But the work has already been done for you, and all you have to do is decide what you like best. In this video, you'll see that color choice is NOT everything- there's lot's more to consider.

THE NEXT TUTORIAL promises to be more entertaining and it will cover PRIMER selection and application.

After the primer video, I want to just showcase cool tips, CHEATS and tricks that will let you create a finish on your rocket that you didn't really think was possible. Those videos will be more fun to watch, and fun to make!

I like the orange, blue and white and as far as silver. That's a neutral color. Anything goes with silver just like black and white.

Yes! I hate Krylon Primer!
Thanks for making the videos!

A lot of my rockets have been relatively simple 2-tone paint jobs, as in the 10 year old red/white Binder Excel Plus in the photo below. I had finished a Big Daddy build a few months ago and I was looking for something different for it. I went through all of the threads in the gallery and picked out color schemes that I liked. From these I did a lot of CAD color mockups. Then I picked the red/white scheme on the top row, second from the right. I've got about 3 other sport builds I'm working on and I'll do similar mockups for them, in fact the first one is an Executioner that is awaiting paint and I've already done a few mockups for it. I did these in CAD but of course you could do them on paper with colored pencils or markers.

bigdaddy.jpg

BLJA2.JPG

My wife went to Art Center in Pasadena, and was impressed to see me doing a color study on paper for one of my rockets. I figure it's more important to someone like me than it is to her since she already knows what looks good with what and in what proportions. I have to see it first.

Perhaps I'm applying the top coat very thick (and gloss seems to hide a lot), but I haven't had any trouble covering the Rustoleum gray auto primer with light colors, including white.

Alpha.jpg

Big Bertha Dual.jpg

Glad to see the OP starting with selecting colors and the color wheel. Fundamentals are always important.

One critique is word choice, and it's minor. I don't think the orange and blue triangles or the red, yellow and green stripes in different proportions look "completely different." I think, "different visual impact or appeal" is more flexible and accurate.

Calling out crap products, that are widely available, helps the rest of us and maybe gets the product fixed. As long as, you explain why the product is significantly inferior.

The more tutorials the better.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm applying the top coat very thick (and gloss seems to hide a lot), but I haven't had any trouble covering the Rustoleum gray auto primer with light colors, including white.

Covering gray primer with light colors isn't necessarily difficult or bad. It's that the light colors may not "pop" or have the intensity like they would if they were applied over a white primer. If you really want dark colors to have a deeper look, try using black primer.

Totally agree with your comments on primer. As for the 2x Painter's Touch, I have not found it to be widely carried however around here every Home Depot that I have been to has a VERY large selection of that line of primer and paint. It is all I use anymore.

To me, just about anything goes. I tend to get a little crazy. ( Airbrush, Paintings and drawings and tattoos in the past.)rockets old.jpg

Latest posts

Back