Who's is your favorite rocket kit manufacturer?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Che

Reaction score
I have only built Estes and Quest kits so far. I have things that I both like and dislike between the two makers. I have a couple of Semroc kits that I have yet to build, but I don't have an opinion on them just yet.

So, I am wondering if you have any favorite, go to manufacturers, that you typically default to when looking for a new kit?

Centuri Engineering circa 1965-1972

What he said. But then, I've always been a Centuri fan. However, today...

Semroc. Make no mistake about it. Great, high quality kits of the sort I like to build. Customer service second to none. I enjoy doing business with them.

Someone once wrote on another forum; "The answer is almost always Semroc." Pretty much a true statement.

Last edited:
For low power, Fliskits and Dr. Zooch all the way!

Bigger stuff, Wildman and Performance Rocketry.

For low power, my personal favorite is Fliskits. For big stuff (which you almost definitely aren't asking about, but the question is vague enough that I'll answer anyways), it's a tie between Performance Rocketry and Wildman.

EDIT: Hmm, interesting. Me and Nick had pretty much exactly the same response at almost exactly the same time (his wasn't there when I started my reply) :D

For low power, my personal favorite is Fliskits. For big stuff (which you almost definitely aren't asking about, but the question is vague enough that I'll answer anyways), it's a tie between Performance Rocketry and Wildman.

EDIT: Hmm, interesting. Me and Nick had pretty much exactly the same response at almost exactly the same time (his wasn't there when I started my reply) :D

Yeah from the 1st posts it was was low power answers but I knew that high power was just around the corner.

I don't have a favorite kit manufacturer, either LPR, MPR, or HPR. I buy kits based on the rocket design, designs that are pleasing to me. Of course lately I've been building almost exclusively scratch built rockets. You didn't ask, but for components I prefer Balsa Machining for LPR and MPR, and LOC Precision for HPR.

No favorite here. There are too many manufacturers that produce unique kits of high quality to choose from. I purchase kits that appeal to me visually, no matter who the manufacturer is.

Lots of good ones... But if you pressed me, I would have to go with Binder Design for high power, Madcow for mid-power and Squirrel Works for low power. If I had the choice of going with manufacturers that are now out of business I believe it would be Rocket R&D, Scale Kits and Thrustline for HPR, MPR and LPR, respectively.

I've only been doing this really for the last year, and have only built kits from Estes, Quest, Semroc, Madcow, LOC, and Fliskits.

I can't say I have a favorite manufacturer, but I think I do have preferences depending on what I'm looking for at the time.

Estes and Quest have a wide selection to choose from and are generally easy to find in the local hobby shops. So for going to a brick and mortar store and browsing without a specific rocket in mind, especially when my daughter is wanting to pick something up, I like those.

For some reason, though not really planned that way, the higher percentage of my Semroc experience has been boost gliders, and they have been very fun to build and to fly.

My MPR kits are Madcow and LOC. I really enjoyed the builds, the looks, and they are great at a launch. I think there are more Madcow rockets that are on my wish list than LOC, based on my personal taste in the looks department alone.

Whenever I want to build something a little more unique and challenging, I shop for a Fliskits rocket. I mean, does it get much more fun than the ACME Spitfire? In fact, the two in my queue right now are both Fliskits.

I'm fortunate enough to see the designer/manufacturer of New Way (the square rockets) fly his rockets at our club launches and I really like what he's doing with them. But I must clarify that I personally have only built one so far and haven't had a chance to launch it.

Shouldn't this discussion be in a differnt sub-forum?

I have only built Estes and Quest kits so far. I have things that I both like and dislike between the two makers. I have a couple of Semroc kits that I have yet to build, but I don't have an opinion on them just yet.

So, I am wondering if you have any favorite, go to manufacturers, that you typically default to when looking for a new kit?

My favorites for LPR are Fliskits and Semroc
For lower MPR I really like Pemberton Technologies
For higher MPR and low HPR I prefer Madcow
For HPR that I have built, I'm torn between Wildman (for stock designs) and K&S (for one-off upscales)

Manufacturers that I'd like to try sooner or later (in no particular order):

Binder Designs
Polecat Aerospace
Performance Rocketry
Sirius Rocketry

G.D.

My favorite rocket kit manufacturer is Binder Design. We've built 7 HPR kits (4 Binder, 2 LOC, and1 Madcow) and the kits from Binder are just better. Quality components that don't need to be fussed with in order to build the rocket. Not to mention the best build instructions bar non.
-Chuck

No favorite here. There are too many manufacturers that produce unique kits of high quality to choose from. I purchase kits that appeal to me visually, no matter who the manufacturer is.

Oh, I buy from just about all of the manufacturers, but that doesn't prevent me from having a favorite :)

Also, I forgot about Squirrel Works earlier - they're also up there on my list of LPR manufacturers.

Shouldn't this discussion be in a differnt sub-forum?

Yeah, you are probably right, it should probably be in a different sub-forum. However, me being new to the hobby am trying to put my finger on who makes high quality kits and who I might want to purchase from for my next few kits. Also, I like to dream a little, so knowing who makes good mid and high power stuff is very helpful.

Thanks everyone, I didn't realize how many manufacturers I was not aware of,

Che

Che:
All the manufactures listed here produce quality kits and you really can't go wrong with buying from any of them, It basically boils down to what you want to do with the kit and where you'll be flying it.

Good luck -G-

Also Pemberton Technologies. I don't know how I didn't think about them earlier, but they have great LPR and MPR kits with some of the funniest instructions around.

As Gary said, you really can't go wrong with any of the manufacturers listed here.

Anyone have any experience with Mercury Engineering? I am interested in a couple of their kits, but I am hesitant to order from them because I noticed Apogee no longer carries their kits.

The two kits that I am interested in are the Mutant Daddy and the Grave Danger. I guess you can say that I like 'em short and fat. Hehehehe.

I am also interested in the Aerotech, Initiator kit. Any thoughts on these two manufacturers and (3) kits are much appreciated.

Last edited:
Anyone have any experience with Mercury Engineering? I am interested in a couple of their kits, but I am hesitant to order from them because I noticed Apogee no longer carries their kits.

The two kits that I am interested in are the Mutant Daddy and the Grave Danger. I guess you can say that I like 'em short and fat. Hehehehe.
Great stuff at excellent prices. Their kits are very well-regarded. I have the Hijacker, which I really must get started on building.

+1 to what GaryT said. Vendors really have to bring their A game if they hope to do any business with this crowd and nearly all of them rise to the occasion. Buy what really catches your eye, what appeals to you. We each have our own personal ideas of what rockets we like and look "cool" and, trust me, there are vendors for nearly every style of rocket, including designs that don't even look like rockets! If you aren't sure, don't be afraid to experiment! And then share your experiences here. We all learn from each other.

Everybody should like Estes, we probably wouldn't be here without them.

I like LOC kits, I think they are well done kits and good basic designs. I have found several kits I liked from Binder Design, and the old Centuri had some unique designs. I like AT motors but I can't get interested in their rocket kits.

I am also interested in the Aerotech, Initiator kit. Any thoughts on these two manufacturers and (3) kits are much appreciated.

Pick it up while it's on sale at hobbylinc.com this week. Or you can order it from value rockets.com where you can get it for 100 bucks but it comes with the cheetah rocket rather than the initiator. Great way to get setup with MPR, especially if you don't have a local club to attach to.

I am sure other people do not like the AT starter kit but it worked for me.

I am starting to get away from manufactures and flying all scratch built designs.

I do have kits in my collection, mostly Estes, Semroc and some Launch Pad stuff as well....but lately it's scratch built stuff

Unfortunately, I think that I tend to like manufacturers who have a nice website.

Arrrggh!

Last edited:
You asked a really loaded question and it is difficult to answer because, in general, all of the manufacturers are real class acts.

One of the first things that came to my mind was Semroc. My sentimental favorite rocket is a Semroc (the Squire). They have lots of reproductions and are the go to place for parts. Their customer service is second to none. With that said, the other companies do an outstanding job as well; Semroc just sets an extremely high standard.

Fliskits in another outstanding company with a unique product line and Jim's service is superb.

Pemberton Technologies is always great for a laugh and has some really great retro designs.

Dr. Zooch also entertains while offering a wide assortment of budget priced, "ant scaled" scale models and does a magnificent job of customer support.

Quest is one of the big companies, makes some good products and has the best LPR igniter there is.

Squirrel Works has some great unique designs, some modernistic and some very nostalgic.

Art Applewite is the "less is more" king with his oddroc offerings and low cost approach to rocketry.

There are so many more!

There are so many more who do a GREAT job. I feel guilty that I have not mentioned them. I just started listing as the names occured to me, mostly by looking at a stack of notebooks nearby concerning stuff in progress. Those I have mentioned are mostly LPR names. There is a similar group of outstanding MPR and HPR vendors.

Look around and find something that appeals to you. Then ask about a specific model here on the forums and get feedback on that. Chances are that, whoever you choose, you will be treated right to a quality product.

I have been burnt a very few times in rocketry by a dealer/mfr. Those times are few. The persons are no longer in business.

Most are fairly small operations, not scaled anything like Estes are Quest. That does not stop them from offering quality products and taking their customers concerns to heart.

Back