iPhone Apps

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Okay, I've just moved into the 21st century I got an iPhone. So I don't want to get into a debate about which smart phone is better - the deal is done.

But, what apps do you find most useful for the iPhone?

The iphone has some useful built-in apps- I use maps, camera, photos and weather a lot.

As for downloaded apps, I use ebay, craigslist a little bit. My most used downloaded app is photobucket.

one of my favorite apps is the starmap. basically a map of the night sky (specific to your area, as determined by the GPS of your phone), from there you can touch any star in the sky and it'll give you info about it, it'll give you info about the constellations, it'll let you zoom, and it'll let you time compress, so you can see what the sky will look like in 1000 years. it's a very cool app.

i also like x-plane. it's a pretty decent flight sim for the iphone. it absolutely murders battery life though.

ForumRunner is a great app for visiting TRF. I no longer bother with my PC any longer and have acess to TRF where ever I go.

I like monkeys.

Check out Spyglass. Turns the iPhone's camera into a targetting reticle with bearing & elevation (and has a small range scale too). Useful for getting an accurate bead on where you last saw that rocket...

Theodolite is similar.

Aeroweather - handy for getting METAR forecasts from nearby airports.

Last edited:
Shazam is one of my favorite apps. It identifies songs you don't know the name of, and it works incredibly well.

You just hold up your phone for about 10 seconds during a song, and it instantly pulls up the song with all information information including artwork. It hears really well, the song can be playing from anywhere. I have used it successfully in a store, from a tv commercial, my car radio, in a club.

Best of all the app is FREE, there is a paid version as well that shows your lyrics too but you don't need that. Lyrics is actually how I used to find songs before this app. I would try to remember the catchiest part of a song and then when I got home do a Google search for that line with the word lyrics after it and I had about 80% success.

In no particular order other than what comes up in my iPhone. These are the apps I use every day (or nearly so):

The weather channel or accuweather (although I tend to web browse over to weather.gov since that is where everyone gets their data anyway)

eBay
NPR news
Mint.com
Yelp
Who shop
All of the google apps
This American life
Ski tracks
Around me

Good luck!

You know, there's an App nobody will tell you about. You push 7 or 10 numbers in the right sequence, and put the thing near your earhole, and you might be able to hear a real person talking. I mean...it's like magic. I wonder if they can hear you, too?

Back