My boid, semroc kit #KA-6

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uhgggg.....Ralphy reminds me of most of my apprentices........what a bummer !

Paul T

Apprentice Ralphy type booger pickers... man, now I have that mental picture stuck in my head.

Spaceman Spiff says, "I'll give'm a jolt with my blast-o-matic".

Unknown-2.jpg

Last edited:
The white primer has an egg shell like texture. Very fine sand paper is used to smooth out the white primer surface. The My Boid is now booger free, very smooth and ready for finish paint.

The white primer is the base for the gloss white paint.

Not so long ago, some TRF'r posted their thoughts on Krylon gloss white (that's what I use) in the techniqes section and said they used a whole can trying to cover the dark colored primer they used and still didn't acheive the desired coverage for the final paint. Therefore Krylon was crap!

Duh.... see first sentence.

Light colored paint does not cover dark colored paint well. The white gloss will cover the white primer easily and it won't take anywheres near a whole can of paint to do it.

White gloss on white primer also gives more depth to the paint job.

The white primer is the base for the gloss white paint.

Not so long ago, some TRF'r posted their thoughts on Krylon gloss white (that's what I use) in the techniqes section and said they used a whole can trying to cover the dark colored primer they used and still didn't acheive the desired coverage for the final paint. Therefore Krylon was crap!

Duh.... see first sentence.

Light colored paint does not cover dark colored paint well. The white gloss will cover the white primer easily and it won't take anywheres near a whole can of paint to do it.

White gloss on white primer also gives more depth to the paint job.

The dog agrees.

18.jpg

The end of the body tube was masked with blue painters tape. A few light coats of Krylon's glossy white were used for the finish.

A day after painting, you can see the rocket has a nice white glossy finish. A blue tint showes through on the tape.

The same thing will happen when trying to cover dark primer with a light colored paint.

my boid 068.jpg

my boid 069.jpg

Last edited:
The very white base coat of paint is now ready to accept my choice of colors.

my boid 070.jpg

Base coat.

Masking.

2nd color.

my boid 071.jpg

my boid 072.jpg

Attachments

• my boid 070.jpg
    my boid 070.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 37
o1d dude, if you like it now you may like it more as the painting prccess continues.

Base coat.

Masking.

2nd color.

3rd color.

my boid 074.jpg

Attachments

• my boid 070.jpg
    my boid 070.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 33
  • my boid 071.jpg
    my boid 071.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 32
  • my boid 072.jpg
    my boid 072.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 36
Nice color scheme ,I like it and think I know where you are going with this one.

NICE !!!! :handshake:

Paul T

I use Tamiya tape on my plastic models. I'll give it a try on the rockets. Thanks.

For primary fine line masking, it is indeed the cat meow !

I too model (1/48 plastic aircraft) and it`s from there I made the cross over.

Back to you T

Paul T

Yeah, I reckon I'm stuck on Tamiya tape. Again, I applaud a great looking paint job. Nice Rocket!

I've never tried Tamiya tape. is it worth getting it in the dispenser or just the refill roll? I'm thinking that because the dispenser will leave teeth marks on the ends, the refill might be better.

I've never tried Tamiya tape. is it worth getting it in the dispenser or just the refill roll? I'm thinking that because the dispenser will leave teeth marks on the ends, the refill might be better.

I used the Tamiya 6mm tape on this rocket.

A refill roll of 6mm tape, 6 meters long costs $1.60 at www.hobbylinc.com
The 6mm tape in the dispenser comes with 18 meters of tape for $3.39
That makes it $1.13 per 6 meters (+ free dispenser).

I do not use the dispenser to cut the tape, I use sissors.
I leave the tape in the dispenser to keep the tape clean.
When not in use, the dispenser is kept in a baggie to keep boogers, hair and dust from collecting on the edges of the tape.

I used the Tamiya 6mm tape on this rocket.

A refill roll of 6mm tape, 6 meters long costs $1.60 at www.hobbylinc.com
The 6mm tape in the dispenser comes with 18 meters of tape for $3.39
That makes it $1.13 per 6 meters (+ free dispenser).

I do not use the dispenser to cut the tape, I use sissors.
I leave the tape in the dispenser to keep the tape clean.
When not in use, the dispenser is kept in a baggie to keep boogers, hair and dust from collecting on the edges of the tape.

Thanks much! On my way to Hobbylinc now :)

Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize Hobbylinc carried the Tamiya tape and have been buying it at the LHS at a substantially higher price.

cue Gold Hat voice "Dispenser? What dispenser? Don't gotta use no steenking dispenser!"

cinema3.jpg

(Mexican movie star Alfonso Bedoya in the role of
the bandit "Gold Hat" in 1948's "Treasure of Sierra
Madre" by John Huston)

cue Gold Hat voice "Dispenser? What dispenser? Don't gotta use no steenking dispenser!"

cinema3.jpg

(Mexican movie star Alfonso Bedoya in the role of
the bandit "Gold Hat" in 1948's "Treasure of Sierra
Madre" by John Huston)

Krusty's voice: "I got your dispenser, right here..."

images.jpg

In the last painting session of 'My Boid", I learned not to paint under and in the shade of the Maple trees.

Back