Just ordered my first two rockets,Whast building supplies to get?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addicted

Reaction score
I just ordered my first two rockets,the ESTES Interceptor-e,and the Launch pad Nike Ajax.Just wondering if you guys could gine me an idera of what supplies i have to order to build these rockets.Not worried about finishing yet just the building supplies.Thanks!

hmmm I would have suggested the Estes Executioner over the interceptor-e...but no matter :). while it isn't a 'building supply' I would strongly reccomend a 24mm rms case and some E reloads for the intercepter-e. also suggest that you pick up some 1/4" launch lugs.
as for supplies; sandpaper 220 -600 grit, epoxy, wood and white glue.
rex

hmmm I would have suggested the Estes Executioner over the interceptor-e...but no matter :). while it isn't a 'building supply' I would strongly reccomend a 24mm rms case and some E reloads for the intercepter-e. also suggest that you pick up some 1/4" launch lugs.
as for supplies; sandpaper 220 -600 grit, epoxy, wood and white glue.
rex

What is a 24mm rms case?..I read about the change of launch lugs.What kink of epoxy is best to use?

Thanks!

Edit" Figured out the reload part.

Last edited:
RMS = Reloadable Motor System(basically they come in Aerotech & CTI flavours, either of them has its pros and cons). generic hobby shop 20 minute epoxy will work fine(you only really need it for glueing the plastic bits and the coupler(Estes says that wood glue will work( and it does quite nicely... particulerly when it grabs while the coupler is in the wrong position :)). hth
rex

I just ordered my first two rockets,the ESTES Interceptor-e,and the Launch pad Nike Ajax.Just wondering if you guys could gine me an idera of what supplies i have to order to build these rockets.Not worried about finishing yet just the building supplies.Thanks!

For one the Launch Pad Nike Ajax doesn't come with decals.

I have them on my web site just go to "THE LAUNCH PAD decals" link at the top of the home page.

BTW on the Launch Pad Nike Ajax, build it light. Don't get carried away overbuilding.

Built light she's a beautiful flyer.

Here's mine. The boost looks good but it wasn't until the next time I went to fly it that I discovered that only two motors lit!

nikeboost.JPG

nikeonpad.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome thanks guys!..I was wondering about the decals for the Ajax!

Edit" Not sure what you mean about building light.

Last edited:
Everyone has different techniques, but to build rockets you will need at a minimum:

Glue Elmer's White glue, or wood glue, like titebond II
Exacto Knife and blades
Sand paper in various grades, I find 220, 320 and 400 useful
Spray paint
While not *required* you will want something to seal the grain of the balsa, such as sanding sealer, Fill n' finish, or you can paper the fins, I am partial to sanding sealer my self.

You might want to build a simple rocket to get started, like an Alpha, a big bertha, or any of the smaller Semroc kits before tackling the bigger guys you mentioned.

You will need engines

Are you going to fly with a club? if not you will need launch equipment.

most of all, HAVE FUN and welcome to the hobby!

Last edited:
A few more tools that can make you're building life easier:

* A self-healing cutting mat to cover and protect your work table.

* A couple of forceps (tweezers) with at least one having a nice pointy tip.

* Razor saw and hobby miter box

* A couple of metal rulers. I like to have both a 12" and 18" on hand.

* A handful of bamboo skewers (great for applying glue inside the body tube, spreading glue into a fillet and lots of other uses as well).

* Lots of tape. They have different uses. You'll want some decent masking tape (don't bother with the cheap stuff - it just leaves a residue behind and doesn't want to come off the roll), cellophane tape (both clear and magic, and if you can find each in both 1/2" and 3/4" all the better), painting tape (better edge and tack than masking tape) and Mylar tape (shiny silver tape - great for attaching shroud lines to chutes and adding a splash of silver to your rockets to make them more visible - I found mine at Blick's).

* Big markers. Forge the wimpy little sharpies (although a black ultra-fine point is nice for writing on your model if need be -things like NAR numbers and such), chisel tips like the old magic markers are good, Magnum markers even better. Get at least red and black - they can add visibility to gliders and helicopters without adding any real weight. Don't bother with highlighted markers - they don't do much. I found the red Magnums at Blick's as well.

There's probably more but that's all the tools I can think of.

One other thing - once you start flying, save some of your spent motor casings. You can do a lot of things with them like cutting off 1/4" slices to make your own motor blocks and use as insertion tools to put those motor blocks in the model. One neat trick I learned was to glue a 1/4" strip of paper around one end of a spent motor of each size - when you use it to insert the motor block it automatically puts the motor block in the right positions the motor sticks out by a quarter inch.

"Building light" means to use techniques that to not add excessive weight to the kit. Such example could include using copious amounts of epoxy when simple glues will do, using heavy fillers to fill balsa grains, or modifying a kit to use a larger diameter motor when the original works fine.

Launch Pad kits (I have two) have a REPUTATION for being designed right on the limit of being stable. Added weight, especially to the aft end of the rocket can make for a very disappointing flight.

The apogee site has recommendations for building supplies for the Interceptor-e.
https://www.apogeerockets.com/interceptor-e.asp

Hope you are good with your hands.

I have both of these rockets...the Interceptor E I haven't built yet; the Nike Ajax is built (except for some detailing) and awaiting paint.

I would not recommend either of these as first rockets. They are great kits....but I strongly encourage you to get some easier kits under your belt...both building and flying...before attempting either of these. Then I'd pick the Interceptor before doing the Nike Ajax...and I'd recommend flying a cluster model or two before that one.

Just my 2c.

Thanks guys!,Now i have a good idea of all the stuff i need to get started.Can't wait!

dcastle,Thanks i will start with the Nike ajax.I feel pretty confident i can put these together without any major problems.My first rocket but I've been Building/tinkering with stuff since i was very young.I wanted a project to keep me busy for a while That's why i picked models that were more difficult.Will find out soon!

Latest posts

Back