Best Hobby Knife Evar!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be putting together a video tutorial of how I make these knives, which includes how to make the sharpening stones and strops. It will be coming to a You-Tube near you shortly.

Since I prove almost daily that I am nothing if not a 52 year old kid I look forward to it. Please announce when ready! :clap:

rockets4kids said:
Well, you see, what I have realized, as have others have reported in this thread, is that one x-acto blade can potentially last a lifetime, or at least many years of heavy modeling. I am on a mission, now, to build the one knife that I will be using for the remainder of my life. I have other plans for all those that I make along the way...

I love it. You are on a quest for the One True Knife. Would make a nice youtube video with lord of the rings music and vid clips.

Still finishing these, but I like where it is going...

Curvy-WIP.jpg

I've always wanted a circle cutter, and now I have one of them too!

DSCN1977.JPG

The blade is epoxy-ed into a 1/4" steel shaft that spins in a piece of brass tubing. The piece of brass you see by the blade is a separate ferrule.

I goofed in the design, not realizing the tip needs to be only slightly behind the center of blade rotation, so I simply ground down the back of the blade until the tip was where I wanted it.

Works fantabulously well!

I know that there must be folks out there that do not have a leathercraft store in their town, or handy to get to, and I know it would be silly for each of them to have to mail-order a whole bunch of stuff just to get a little patch of leather.

I have two shops right down the street from me. (No, I'm not "rubbing it in") This weekend I will be checking out the scrap bins for a good piece of cow, and shortly thereafter will have a bunch of 2x6 pieces. If you need one or two, PM me your mailing info. Cost/payment will be a dollar donation to the NAR. I don't know if they have jeweler's rouge at either place but if they do I will stick in a "starter" chunk to go with the leather. You will still need to find your own square of wood or stone hardback to glue this leather down on.

Merry......Easter, I guess.....

Actually, I don't have any pocket knives at the moment. I was always partial to the Victorinox Swiss Army brand, and had three for many, years. The first to go was one of the tiny ones on my keychain -- confiscated by the TSA. The second to go was one of the larger ones with a locking blade. It went when someone broke into my truck and stole my camping gear. The final one to go, the one I had since high school, went away rather recently with a cute young girl who borrowed it to open a bottle of wine.

I do have a leatherman along with a hunting knife in my current camp kit, but that doesn't really count.

And this reminds me, I really do need to buy a replacement.

Back