Estes - Scissor wing Transport Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This was just a challange I wanted to see if there was any way to pull off.
I've always liked the scissor wing BGs. My standard fleet still has an original Scissor Wing from back in the 80s as well as a Crusader Swing-wing both are really fun flying even if they are not the greatest gliders.
When the Scissor Wing as re-released I decided it was time to try to Micronize it knowing full well that sometimes downsizing doesn't work all that well with some things...gliders in particular.
Decided to go with T3 as the outside body to reduce as much as possible the overall mass allowing a T2+ internal ejectable fin pod with a teflon streamer instead of chute recovery. Basswood was chosen over balsa just for a little extra strength in the wing and tail assembly. the pivot and saddle assembly are also mostly basswood with the top retainer nut of 1/16" liteply. Tiny hair bands and elastic thread turn the wing and pop up the elevator whe the pod ejects.
Still keeping the finishing to a minimum the lift off weight is 12.3g with a MMX-II motor. she does glide nicely tho from a pretty short 30-35feet altitute. I'm toying with a couple different Booster ideas to attempt to get a little better deployment altitude including staging but that project is on the back burner with lots of other staged options as I try to move forward with lots of other Scale and Classic creations:)
Still its worth flying as is on calm days... I even tried flying it off a floating head piston without much luck as the motor retainer hook caught the lip of the piston body making the model that much heavier. Still got a tiny glide anyway.

Post copied with permission

MM 299lp01e_MM ScissorWingTrans 4pi flt_10-21-06.jpg

MM 299lp03a_MM Scissor Wing Glider On Pad_06-16-07.JPG

MM 299Lp04a_Try Piston & Scissor Wing Transport_04-25-09.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
was with one of the orignal Scissor wing Transport models. I don't recall the actual seconds but that for the first time in ALL My rocketry life I had a Glider that Worked LOL!!!! I'm AWFUL with Gliders. I keep trying but they are my downfall.

It's kind of funny really: the glider types that are the hardest to make work don't seem to give me nearly the trouble as others. The Scissor Wing and Crusader Swing wing are two of my favorite Fun flying Gliders.

Back