Goonies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love ALL the goonies,

But my favorite so fay is Blades Sky Goon. Cool looking goonie and if I remember correct it even glides! I'll have to attempt one some day, but it looks to be an involved conversion and I've never built a pop pod glider before.

I just have the one:
ALARM-G-1.jpg

But I have the feeling something might be missing from this photo:
PP97.jpg

Judo, it's your dog isn't it? Your dog is missing from the photo, right?

Cat. He's 99% indoors. He's just not bright enough to fend for himself. I actually let him suck up some sunshine while I was making my fin guide. He turned 15 in November and is beginning to have problems just making it up and onto the sofa. He's on the floor next too me right now getting his pointed head scratched. Usually I'm fighting him for chair space.

Love ALL the goonies,

But my favorite so fay is Blades Sky Goon. Cool looking goonie and if I remember correct it even glides! I'll have to attempt one some day, but it looks to be an involved conversion and I've never built a pop pod glider before.

Thanks, not only does it glide, but it does it well! On a C6-3, it'll turn in a glide time of 30 seconds or better. If you really want to have fun, put it up on a D13 reload. :D

It's actually a fairly easy modification. Most of the shoulder of the nose cone is cut away, it saves weight and allows the pop pod to extend all the way into the nose, giving a better launch CG. Most of the original pop pod gliders had a BT50 body, doesn't give a lot of room to pack a chute. That's not a problem with the Sky Goon. Here's a shot of the glider with the pop pod.

View attachment 597

You can also go one further and make a BT80 upscale with a 24mm engine mount.

View attachment 599

It also flies very nicely.
If anyone would like the plans, let me know. I'd post them here but the PDF is to large of a file.

These are all so cool. As has been mentioned, a place dedicated to all the plans would be great. I'm tellin ya, if someone were to kit these...

Been working on this over the weekend while glue dried on another project...

ArapaGOON_sm.jpg

brianc...that photo makes me wonder something about the true definition of "Goonie." Almost all Goonies I have seen thus far I think have been reproductions of either current or OOP Estes kits. If you do a Goonie of a rocket that isn't of Estes origin is it still a Goonie?

I ask because I want to do a Goonie of a BSD Thor. Call it my "Ghor."

My wife tells me I think too much about silly things. Donno where she gets that from. :rolleyes:

-DAllen

Just remember, you asked for it. :D Here's my latest goonies, bring my goonie fleet to 23 birds. All my goonies to date have been Estes patterns, it was time to change that, enter one of my favorite Centuri models, the Scram Jet.

View attachment 315

In a similar vein, one of the more popular MRN patterns from way back, the Top Secret.

View attachment 316

And just because it's a cool design, the Estes Firecat.

View attachment 317

AK, I'll have the patterns of these for you shortly.

Brilliant. I love all three.:cool:

Mike Howie and Mach7, as well as anyone else interested in the Sky Goon plans, just PM me with your email addresses and I'll get 'em out to you.

Here are a few that I have made. In response to the question about Goonifying rockets other than Estes', one of mine is a LOC/Precision. Two of mine may not be true Goonies for the purists out there -- they were made with Easter egg NC's (I'm a scratch builder at heart). In my opinion, however, they are just as Goony as any other and can easily be made with a Baby Bertha kit.

Guzzler02.jpg

Patriot Goony 01.jpg

Those are great, I especially like the bomarc and the interceptor, remind me of my "eggplane" collection....

Frank

Had to start another one! See if you can guess what it is!

Any one have a clean copy of the decals?

P1290527.JPG

P1290529.JPG

P1290531.JPG

You know, this is a neat thread.

There have been some cool pictures posted, and some neat projects.

But something has been lacking.

Seriously lacking.

It's time to fix that.

zoom.jpg

A few of them, in various states of assembly...

goonies.jpg

No, they're not clones. Those are all stock, original kits.

Here are their boxes...

goonyboxes.jpg

That took me 4 or 5 years to accumulate, and, well, we won't talk about the cost.

In LPR, Goonybirds are my passion. There's nothing that compares to the real thing.

-Kevin

Is it just me, or do those original Estes Goonies freak anyone else out?

I always expect to see them come with trading cards and a stick of bubble gum inside.

Had to start another one! See if you can guess what it is!

Any one have a clean copy of the decals?

mikeyd,

Well, you kinda gave it away in the last picture, if anyone couldn't guess. I assume you heated the nose cone and pressed in the tip? Tell us how you did it!

mikeyd,

Well, you kinda gave it away in the last picture, if anyone couldn't guess. I assume you heated the nose cone and pressed in the tip? Tell us how you did it!

I placed the tip if the nose cone, into a 29mm motor tube, at a slight angle, keeping the "seam" pointing up. This gave me the "Elipse" around the nose, which I then traced with a pencil. I then took an x-acto razor saw, and cut on the pencil line. The Tip I just cut off, I turned upside down, and glued back into the nose, keeping the seam lines in line, to keep it symetrical. Once glued, I trimmed, and sanded the edges, no filler yet, will see how it comes out after primer.

I did find a clean scan of the decals as well.

P1300538.JPG

P1300539.JPG

Last edited:
Here is my GoonyCeptor.
Due to a laptop crash, I can't locate the pics of the Omegoon and the scissorwing goon. I'll find em later and post up

GoonyCeptor.jpg

Ha, I found em. I got the old laptop drive in an external enclosure, so all the stuff is there, just a little hard to navigate.

OMEGoon2.jpg

OMEGoon.jpg

SWGoon.jpg

SWGoon3.jpg

Ha, I found em. I got the old laptop drive in an external enclosure, so all the stuff is there, just a little hard to navigate.

Glad you found the pics. Have you flown the Swing Wing yet? I'm kinda curious as to how it will do. I've been toying with the idea of doing one myself.

No, but it's not intended to glide. The wing pivots and the pod pops, but the wing area is way to small. It will parachute down.

Back