Estes - (Astron) Shrike (K-46 or #1246) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketguy101

Reaction score
I always loved the lines of this rocket, and the "blended" fins of the booster and sustainer were so sleek looking vs. the staggered fin arrangement of other staged kits.

Mine was originally built in the 70s, and survived a rather spectacular CATO of the booster (although the bottom of the sustainer is a bit toasty;) ).

DSC_2798MR.jpg

shrike.jpg

ShrikeCATO.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not my paint job, but one I got as an Ebay rescue a long ways back. I have flown it several times, and even tracked down a payload section so it looks like it's supposed to.

Astron Shrike.jpg

One of my favorites, cloned a few years ago. A beautiful rocket off the pad.

Drew

IMG_5061.jpg

IMG_5065.jpg

Welcome to the Estes Shrike (K-46 or #1246) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Shrike (K-46 or #1246) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Shrike: K-46 or #1246

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Shrike (K-46 or #1246) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Shrike Also known as:

NUMBER: K-46 or #1246

Introduced: 1970
Final Year: 1979
Designer:

Type: 2 Stage, Payload
Motor Mount: 1x18mm/1x18mm
Recovery: Tumble/Parachute
Stages: 2
Length: 29.5"
Diameter: 0.976"
Span:
Weight: 2.25 oz

Mfg. Description: New, easy-staging method is just one feature of this sleek, high performance bird. No taping: just insert engines and plug stages together. Two interchangeable parachutes are included, as are two multi-colored decal sheets, pre-cut fins, pre-cut and embossed nozzle parts and body wrap-on, and transparent payload section with foam end pads. The Shrike is easy to build and is a bird you'll be proud to own. Engines not included. (Estes 1970 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-shrike%20k46-1970%20cat.jpg
1970 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-shrike%20k46-face%201.jpg
estes-shrike%20k46-face%202.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-shrike%20k46-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Back