Build report: Cloning the Estes Cineroc w/Astron Omega Launch Body.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks samb

The trick to OR is to realize that it doesn't recognize physics. It doesn't forbid having two objects in the same space at the same time. Whenever that happens, it merges them, and that allows me to make a fin become a motor clip, or a camera shroud. The biggest trick is that it also allows parts that can be nothing thick, and nothing long, but has a diameter, and with that you can mount other parts to it, even if those parts aren't actually touching the phantom. This is what allows launch lugs to be put on standoffs (small fins).

Another nice trick is that doesn't recognize when two parts need to be glued together, or are just the same component (with a different color). This is what allows me to get bands of color that approximate the real one's decals. Now if I could figure out how to do that with the fins' decals, I'd be golden... No, wait, I just did figure that out. but it'd be a lot of work. The fins' decals would need to be fins themselves (only slightly thicker than the real fin.

Now, I'm a little curious about your photo. I see one Cineroc/Omega with a purple finned sustainer. I'm curious if that is one of the purple decals that Gord sold, or if Estes actually did ship Omegas with a purple decal. I've heard claims that they did. I've seen a catalog image of the Omega (minus Cineroc) that implied purple, but I've never seen an actual Estes Omega's decal sheet with purple fin decals.

Now, I'm a little curious about your photo. I see one Cineroc/Omega with a purple finned sustainer. I'm curious if that is one of the purple decals that Gord sold, or if Estes actually did ship Omegas with a purple decal. I've heard claims that they did. I've seen a catalog image of the Omega (minus Cineroc) that implied purple, but I've never seen an actual Estes Omega's decal sheet with purple fin decals.

That picture was taken at a DARS club launch in 2010; a tribute to the (then) recently departed Mike Dorffler. I don't know the answer to your question but if I remember correctly, Ted Mahler's Cineroc/Omega was sitting on yellow #2 that day. I was on #3 with a gum cam taped to the payload section. I don't think Ted is an active poster here anymore but if I find out I'll let you know. Pretty color anyway.

{edit} Found another tantalizing tidbit to tickle your decal OCD (2nd row, left): https://www.seateddimevarieties.com/BAR/estes_model_rockets.htm

Last edited:
Back