Saturn V for Apollo Aniversary?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
Is anyone planning to build a Saturn V for next year’s 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing? I bought an OOP Estes kit a couple years ago, realized I’d probably never build it, and then sold it. Now I kind of wish I still had it. Scale models and very fiddly, detailed builds are not exactly my thing, but I do feel like having some kind of tribute.

I think I heard Randy say that Semroc is doing one.

I pre-ordered the Always Saturn V from BMS plus I have a couple of Dr Zooch Saturn V variants on the build pile. If (when!) Estes releases their Saturn V I’ll probably buy and build one of those too. Along with my Estes Little Joe II too!

I have an Estes and a Sheri's. Not sure which I'll try to get done in time. The Sheri's is set up for 1x 54mm and 4x 29mm

Scale models and very fiddly, detailed builds are not exactly my thing...
I just finished an Estes Saturn V and it was truly a PITA. Looking at the instructions, the Alway model looks like a simpler, more accessible option.

I pre-ordered the Always Saturn V from BMS plus I have a couple of Dr Zooch Saturn V variants on the build pile. If (when!) Estes releases their Saturn V I’ll probably buy and build one of those too. Along with my Estes Little Joe II too!

I just finished an Estes Saturn V and it was truly a PITA. Looking at the instructions, the Alway model looks like a simpler, more accessible option.

I wasn’t aware of the Alway model. Interesting!

I have a "nekkid" Estes Saturn V that should be properly adorned by next year. Also a semi-scale Estes Saturn V clone and a Dr. Zooch. Also pre-ordered the Always kit. Will try to fly all of them on or around the anniversary date.

Scale models and very fiddly, detailed builds are not exactly my thing...

Then I guess you won't be building the Altaira N-1, huh? I followed aerostadt's build thread, it made me cringe. I have one in my build pile. Would be neat to historically recreate the attempt by the Soviets to do an end run around the US and set foot first on the moon. But then I'd have to put a cherry bomb in the rocket, and it would be an expensive recreation. :wink:Laters.

IMG_20180609_105853.jpg

I'm still slaving away on Sheri's. Told folks at the coffee shop that I 'plan' on flying it for the 50th now for some time. The manager of the shop (this is her idea) told me to give her 3 months lead time to round up replacement employees while she would both advertise and give the employees of her store the day off to watch.

I have an older Estes Sat V that has been retired after several dismal flights, and a new #2001 Sat V NIB.
I also have the Dr. Zooch Sat V that I could fly.
What I'm hoping for is to get the Apogee Sat V sitting in my build pile operational in time.:flyingpig:
<edit> I too pre-orderd an Alway Sat V as well.

I have an older Estes Sat V that has been retired after several dismal flights, and a new #2001 Sat V NIB.
I also have the Dr. Zooch Sat V that I could fly.
What I'm hoping for is to get the Apogee Sat V sitting in my build pile operational in time.:flyingpig:
<edit> I too pre-orderd an Alway Sat V as well.

That apogee kit looks really nice, but it&#8217;s very expensive, and I&#8217;d be terrified of crashing it.

Ironically the only Saturn-V model rocket kit I completed was the 1/244 semi-scale model in 1970. And the one I made looked really crappy, as I had not been building model rockets for very long. Plus that 1/244 kit, well, sorta sucked. https://www.rocketreviews.com/semi-scale-saturn-v---estes-1239-k-39-1969-1979.html

Though I did convert at least one if not two Monogram 1/144 plastic model kits to fly.

I would be very surprised if Estes did not re-release the 1/100 Saturn-V for the 50th anniversary.

As for me, I have already built my 50th anniversary model. I built it a year ago:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?137174-FLYING-R-C-Lunar-Module-Quadcopter-project

2jRUWoC.gif

I have a dream (not expectation) to attend some sort of 50th anniversary event and fly the Lunar Quadule there. But even if it is just in the front yard, I plan to be flying it on July 20th, 2019, and land at 3:18 PM CDT. :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am trying to locate every possible Saturn rocket (low-, mid- or high-power) for possible purchase. I am thinking of doing one or both of the following:
  • Entering a model at NARCON 2019
  • Participating in the NAR Saturn Photo Contest
So here is my question, please: What Saturn rockets are available for purchase? Here are the only things that I can find:
  • Apogee Components sells a Saturn 1B (1:70 scale) and a Saturn V (1:70 scale)
  • Sirius Rocketry sells a Saturn V (1:64 scale)
Perhaps I will purchase one of these. But I would like to see more options, including something quite a bit smaller.

More options must be available, right? But I cannot locate them.

I would appreciate anyone's assistance.

Thank you.

Stanley

Estes is coming out with an improved 1/100 Saturn V reissue as well as a plastic 1/200 kit, possibly E2X. The Sirius kit has not been available for quite some time, so the Apogee kit would be the only kit bigger than the Estes one that is commercially available right now. Once in a while you might find a Sheri's Sat V on eBay but that is a long shot. Erockets sells the smaller Dr. Zooch Sat V but is currently out of stock. The original Dr. Zooch version might occasionally pop up on eBay as well. Or you could clone the Estes semi scale Sat V , plans are at JimmyZ's:https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1239.htm

I thank you for your replies.

I considered the LEGO, but I want something that could fly, even if I chose not to fly it. Perhaps I will wait for the small Estes models (I didn't know about those). I will examine the information about cloning the other item.

All of this has been very helpful.

Stanley

I believe a total list of Saturn V over the ages would include
Quest
Dr. Zooch
Alway
Estes
Centuri
Sirius
Apogee
Sheri
Polecat

Did I miss any?

I'm not going to try to list the numerous non-flying models like Lego, Revell, etc.

I believe at this moment, everyone except for Apogee is Out of Production
Although Estes has indicated they will have the 2 new ones (at least one of them hopefully this year)

Although Estes has indicated they will have the 2 new ones (at least one of them hopefully this year)
I believe erockets is still producing the Dr. Zooch kit under license, they're just out of stock right now.

Quest
Dr. Zooch
Alway
Estes
Centuri
Sirius
Apogee
Sheri
Polecat

Did I miss any?

I'm not going to try to list the numerous non-flying models like Lego, Revell, etc.

Cox.

Quest
Dr. Zooch
Alway
Estes
Centuri
Sirius
Apogee
Sheri
Polecat

Did I miss any?

Actually, Apogee is in stock and Sirius is not.

I have a "nekkid" Estes Saturn V that should be properly adorned by next year. Also a semi-scale Estes Saturn V clone and a Dr. Zooch. Also pre-ordered the Always kit. Will try to fly all of them on or around the anniversary date.

Then I guess you won't be building the Altaira N-1, huh? I followed aerostadt's build thread, it made me cringe. I have one in my build pile. Would be neat to historically recreate the attempt by the Soviets to do an end run around the US and set foot first on the moon. But then I'd have to put a cherry bomb in the rocket, and it would be an expensive recreation. :wink:Laters.

View attachment 346061

This is carrying realism a bit too far.

I am thinking of building a Saturn V to go along with the N-1, but I need a 1/122 scale Saturn V. I might go with with the 1/100 scale, if I necessary.

Having built a 1969 Centuri Saturn V ( The basis of the Estes 2157 model) I can say it's a long and sometimes frustrating process, but it doesn't really require Olympic class modeling skills.

However, following the instructions pretty much to the letter makes a big difference -- especially the painting / masking/ finishing instructions.

It's a long story I've recounted many times before -- my grandmother bought me the Centuri Sat V for Christmas 1969, and my then 10-year-old self opened the box, spread out the parts, read the instructions, and concluded quite accurately my modeling chops at the time would have totally botched the whole thing.

So I packed it back in the box, slid it up on a storage shelf in my bedroom, then waited 25 years until I had been out of the house 15 years and my dad said, "hey, are you ever going to move that rocket stuff out of your bedroom?"

So, in 1994, I went back and built the damn thing, and it turned out pretty good (in fact it has been used as a museum piece in a real live museum).

And once it was built, I drove up to my grandmother's house, where she was still living at 98.

I asked, "Nana, do you remember what this is?", and she said she absolutely did, she had to search through a dozen stores to find it, because I had been utterly insistent at age 10 that I wanted the CENTURI Saturn V, not Estes, because the Centuri was a better and more detailed kit, and I was hell bent I only wanted the Centuri model.

So yes indeed she remembered buying me the rocket in 1969. But she assumed I had flown and forgotten about it about 23 years earlier.

So I told her I had finally gone ahead and built it, and i wanted her to see it fly. I set it up on the pad, she pushed the button, and up it went. It was the first and I believe only model rocket flight she ever saw in person.

It went up and came down perfectly. Nana raved and said, can you fly it again, so I packed up the chutes, put in new engines, and off it went again.

Nana was like Elsie in "October Sky." She said it was "fantastic" and said, "if I knew this was what your rockets were like, I would have built my own back in 1969" (when she was a youthful 74).

So anyway, I flew it four or five more times-- a couple in 1994 and twice in 1999 for the 30th anniversary of Apollo 11. But since then I've kept it on the shelf, not wanting to chance a CATO or parachute failure. It's "Nana's Saturn."

I've got an unbuilt Estes 2157 in the garage, I think I'm gonna build that as my "flying model" and launch it next July 16.

The Alway model is somewhat (considerably) simpler, but it is not a one day build.

Last edited:
I guess it's too late to build a Saturn V for the 50th of Apollo 8...next month.
That flight was a ballsy move by NASA.
First manned flight of the Saturn V ........and they go to the moon.

LOL.

Really nice documentary:

Last edited:
Not too late, but you'd better get to work fast.

As I recall, for the Centuri/Estes model, it took about a week solid of 3-5 hour building sessions every night to get it done. Including a couple of 24-hour intervals to allow glue/cement or paint to dry.

The Peter Alway model, I think, could probably be done in 2-3 3-hour sessions. But again you'd have to allow time for paint drying.

Now OOP, the FlisKits MMX Mighty Saturn V. (And the plastic RTF Quest version)

I missed the Fliskit, but Quest was the first one on my list...

It does seem a shame that from 11 manufacturer's, AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME, there is only 1 actually in production and available.
Can't wait for Estes to bring that to 2.....

As for me, I have already built my 50th anniversary model. I built it a year ago:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?137174-FLYING-R-C-Lunar-Module-Quadcopter-project

2jRUWoC.gif

I have a dream (not expectation) to attend some sort of 50th anniversary event and fly the Lunar Quadule there. But even if it is just in the front yard, I plan to be flying it on July 20th, 2019, and land at 3:18 PM CDT. :)

Aside from your upscale Astron Space Plane I saw at NARAM 50...one of the coolest RC projects I've ever seen.

With all the projects I have going on, might be able to squeeze in one of the upcoming 1/200 scale models from estes, Looking forward to that one, as I'll be able to fly it a lot more often at the local park then a 1/100th or Apogee kits.

Estes is coming out with an improved 1/100 Saturn V reissue as well as a plastic 1/200 kit, possibly E2X. The Sirius kit has not been available for quite some time, so the Apogee kit would be the only kit bigger than the Estes one that is commercially available right now. Once in a while you might find a Sheri's Sat V on eBay but that is a long shot. Erockets sells the smaller Dr. Zooch Sat V but is currently out of stock. The original Dr. Zooch version might occasionally pop up on eBay as well. Or you could clone the Estes semi scale Sat V , plans are at JimmyZ's:https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1239.htm

Do you have any more info about the Estes 1/200 scale model? I’ve never heard of that one.

Back