24mm thin wall MMT and Estes retainer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OC_Rocket_Man

Reaction score
I have a Madcow Mini Squat with a thin wall 24mm MMT. The Estes 24mm retainer system is large for the tubing OD.

Any suggestions how I should build up the MMT so that I can JB Weld the Estes retainer in place?

Thanks!

Wrap the OD od the motor tube with card stock or printer paper until the fit is right or where you want it then soak with CA to harden. Sanding maybe necessary after hardening, verify fit then epoxy as normal. I have done it many times this way.

I would honestly just use masking tape... In 24mm it won't exactly be a high stress part.

Actually, my initial thought was masking tape, paint it with JB, let dry, JB on the Estes retainer.

Really in the long game, I don't want to lose a 24/40 or 24/60 set of hardware.

Hence the reason I asked.

I Like the paper and CA idea better than tape. Masking tape makes good filler for a single flight, but over the long term its glue can sometimes go dry and brittle, sometimes go gooey, and in either case get weak. You wouldn't want the retainer to be epoxied to the tape only to have the tape fall off the MMT.

Another way might be a narrow strip of paper or tape very near the centering ring to keep the retainer centered but leave a gap between most of the retainer and the tube. Then fill the gap with the JBW. That'd be really strong, but I'm probably overthinking it; I have a tendency to do that. :facepalm:

Back