AeroPack Adapters with DMS Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff2space

Reaction score
Can AeroPack adapters be used with Aerotech DMS motors? Specifically interested in the 5475 and 7598 adapters.

Jeff
I have used a AeroPack 3854 adapter it worked out perfect. So I would think the others sizes would work out fine.

See you at the Bong

I have used the 75-54 adaptor, worked fine. Only small issue is that the AeroPack tailcone retainer (4" airframe to 75mm motor) bottoms against the thrust ring of the motor before fully seating against the airframe, leaving a small (1-2mm) gap between the airframe and the tailcone. I don't think this would be noticeable with a ring-style retainer.

What specifically is the concern? The centering ring clamps onto the motor casing the same way for DMS and reload casings. It's job is to center the motor, not to transfer thrust loads, so you don't need to clamp it down to the point where you might damage the casing, if that were even possible. Just snug it up so it won't move and it's good. The rear section of the adaptor has two functions - center the motor, and transfer the thrust load to the 75mm closure.

I had a similar concern but after installing the forward clamp on an M1350 and realizing how little force it took to snug it up, my fears have been alleviated.

Full disclosure, I haven't flown this arrangement yet but I have no concerns.

Thank you, I was looking for assurance from someone who has used the 5475 on a DMS.

I did this- I used an L1000 (54mm DMS motor) in a 75mm motor mount (4" punisher). It went very nicely :)

Back