Anybody from the Temple/Belton Texas area?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We're moving out that way come the first of the year.

Looked on line and it looks like AARG is kind of the "local" club, it looks like there might be a few others as well. What is the rocketry scene like in central Texas?

In addition to AARG, you'll need to check out Tripoli Houston. They fly at Hearne, which isn't too far from Temple.

And welcome to Texas!

Looked on line and it looks like AARG is kind of the "local" club

We look forward to seeing you at the AARG launches! We fly on the first Saturday of each month, weather permitting.

We've also got something intriguing brewing for late February, so stay tuned. (Blatant foreshadowing!)

James

I fly at Tripoli Houston in Hearne which is actually very close to you. It's a very active club with great leadership, definitely come check it out when you move down. Currently have some restrictions going on at our launch site due to Hurricane recovery efforts though, but we are still flying! Normally we have a 16k' waiver and can launch up to M impulse. Currently limited to 5-6k and K impulse.

I haven't been the AARG launches but I hear they are really nice as well, and they are different weekends so you will not be bored!

Wow, thanks guys! Looks like I'm jumping into the epicenter of Texas rocketry. It will be a shorter drive to Hearn or Hutto than it is to our low-power launches, and a quarter of the time it takes to get to a high power launch out here.

Thanks for the welcome, Alfa! Coming back to Texas, actually. Used to live up your way years ago (Lewisville and Coppell. Both were still out in the country back then!). Can not wait to get back! Of course we are currently in the middle of moving purgatory, but keeping our eyes on the prize...

Thanks again guys. Can't wait to meet everyone. See you soon!

Mike

HOTROC's has/had a sweet site in Asa, TX just next door to where you will be. Sadly some issues arose last year and to my knowledge are still being ironed out. It was a seasonal site but a joy to fly atbeing plowed farm land. I forget the altitude for waivers but I do recall seeing at least an N2000 fly in a ~12" V2. It was sweet indeed! Pretty sure they had standing 16k with call ins to 25k.

You'll be amazed at what Coppell and Lewisville look like now not to mention cities miles and miles to the north. Beyond the typical growth of a metropolitan area, North Texas is in over drive with several corporate relocations such as Toyota and Liberty Mutual. Anyhow, welcome back!

Wow, thanks guys! Looks like I'm jumping into the epicenter of Texas rocketry. It will be a shorter drive to Hearn or Hutto than it is to our low-power launches, and a quarter of the time it takes to get to a high power launch out here.

Thanks for the welcome, Alfa! Coming back to Texas, actually. Used to live up your way years ago (Lewisville and Coppell. Both were still out in the country back then!). Can not wait to get back! Of course we are currently in the middle of moving purgatory, but keeping our eyes on the prize...

Thanks again guys. Can't wait to meet everyone. See you soon!

Mike
Mike,

An early welcome to Texas. I've lived in Coppell for 20 years and it has changed considerably as has Lewisville. Likely a lot of Coppell looks very different than when you left. Very little country left but it's still a good place to live. My son just bought a house in Temple and he likes the area.

There used to be a great field just east of Waco but sadly it was lost last year. There are several folks looking for a new field in the area so hopefully something will open up. I look forward to meeting you at a launch, maybe at whatever event James is hinting at.

Good luck on the move,

Tony

Back