Estes prowler fin instructions question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solid_fuel

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A little while back I bought the Estes bundle 7 with the three rockets, launch pad and launcher.
I just now got around to putting any of the kits together. I’ve never put a pro series E2X kit together before. The directions look seem to indicate the fins do not get glued in. Is this correct? It would seem to me like they should be glued in place.

Ok good. That’s what I did. When I epoxied the motor mount in I epoxied the fins in too. Then I went back and looked at the instructions and they didn’t show glue being used. I thought it was odd and just wanted to be sure.

I have the same bundle My instructions for Prowler & Mammoth both show using CA.
Plastic used will NOT stick to epoxy. However it WILL melt/bond with CA.
Fins shells are put together using CA, CR's to cardboard, shock cord mount to cardboard etc. use epoxy.
They don't say it...but look at pictures closely. Bottles are different for each glue used.

Put a drop on fin root you haven't built yet, then try to wipe it off. You'll see what I mean.

You ARE supposed to dry fit CR's and fins, then remove fins, glue CR's. Insert into airframe, THEN glue fins into position.

Both CA & epoxy are show at top along with tools needed to build. Each step shows either a bottle of CA or shaded dark , a bottle of epoxy where they are to be used.
Simply put...CA where plastic meets plastic & Epoxy where plastic meets card board

no glue shown in the picture where fins are inserted, bottom of page step 2. I thought it odd that the fins wouldn't be affixed to the rocket without some kind of adhesive

IMG_3950.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3950.jpg
    IMG_3950.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 89
I got my instructions out before I posted. In #3 [fins] it says ...Repeat for remaining fins "Let dry" That's your clue, something must dry [glue] ...Lol

Granted it should have been a bit clearer, but who ever is doing Estes instructions, have dropped the ball many times lately. Guess I've built so many rockets over the years, it comes natural.

You did the right thing by asking, & yes, you have a very valid point. Instructions should be easy to comprehend, and perfectly clear. Unfortunately...sometimes...they are not.

Enjoy your rocket, I've had fun with mine. I put a F-24-7 in it with a tracker and sent it to the moon! Won't do that again...Lol

thanks for all the assistance. everywhere else they shows the glue and what type to use. I thought I messed up by epoxying the fins in. I hope to launch this weekend at what will be my first group launch. I'm not used to having others around to see my mistakes.

1. The note about mid-page states: Either epoxy or CA may be used going forward.
2. The picture of the fin in the bottom panel appears to show a bead of glue on the fin tab.

Steve Shannon

Chiming in late here...

I have had great results using epoxy on the fins of the Estes Pro Series rockets. I think the key is to apply glue to the front edge of the installed portion of the fin tab, not just the sides of the fin tab as the instructions would seem to suggest.

Thanks for all the responses. Had put the glue all over. Along the sides, root edges, front and rear of the tabs. Basically everywhere that the fin contacted another surface got the epoxy.

Back