How long does it take to prep a reload?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with most all comments here. I only fly CTI on occasion, but Loki and AT only take a few minutes. Saying that I always (ALWAYS) use and follow the instructions for each reload. Yes, could be done without it, but in my mind using the instructions is a safety measure just like a checklist for a major flight.

I'd generally agree with 5-10 minutes for an AT reload and 2 minutes or so for CTI. For CTI there are many fewer steps (but I recommend adjusting the delay *first* so you never forget). With AT you may need to get out of the wind, and you have to check carefully against the non-trivial chance that they did not package your reload with the correct O-rings and fiber disks. C-slot longburns take longer because you need to verify that the ignitor will thread all the way up to the head end. Add a few minutes if you need to adjust the ejection charge. And definitely don't rush.

Last edited:
CTI up to 54mm, using motor ejection: 4 mins. 3.2mins to get the frigging staples out of the tube and remove the package, 0.3 mins to tear the plastic and pop out delay grain, 0.2 mins to cut grain, 0.3min to reassemble and put in case.

Later!

--Coop

CTI up to 54mm, using motor ejection: 4 mins. 3.2mins to get the frigging staples out of the tube and remove the package, 0.3 mins to tear the plastic and pop out delay grain, 0.2 mins to cut grain, 0.3min to reassemble and put in case.

Later!

--Coop

You're pretty quick with the staples and tubes....I think I'm usually closer to 5 min. with those. :facepalm:

Later!

--Coop

Haha so true - along with a little blood sacrificed.

A pair of needle nose pliers does the trick very well. I keep a pair in my range box for this exact reason.

I unstaple my CTI tubes when I get them home and them seal them with blue painters tape. Much easier to open them on the field that way. Less blood spilled, too.

I unstaple my CTI tubes when I get them home and them seal them with blue painters tape. Much easier to open them on the field that way. Less blood spilled, too.

I am totally stealing this idea!!...been using the needlenose for a long time with little damage to fingers, but batch converting them to tape seal will be a big win.

Besides the staples, the other issue with CTI (at least for 38mm) is that the liner can sometimes hang up and you can't get the nozzle in far enough to screw it in. The trick is to take a spacer and push the liner in before you seat the nozzle. Wish I'd known that before I cross-threaded an I255... still have it, not gonna hit CTI up for another nozzle for awhile.

Back