My rocket is too dangerous. Where can I launch?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off welcome to the forum. And congratulations for making a BIG splash with your first post ! :) My take is that you have a rather complex project here. Can I assume that you have a Tripoli or NAR Level 2 certification ? You'd need that to fly a J motor. Are you a member of the club ? How much lead time did you give the club launch crew about this puppy ? Or did you just show up on launch day with a rocket and smile. :) A little heads up during design and construction may have mitigated some of the concern. Some documentation of the build is a good thing to bring when you have a project of this nature. Like most other posters here I say the screws are the least of my concerns as we've all flown rockets that used them. Love to see some pictures if you care to post any.

I assure you I didn't just arrive naively with a crazy "death rocket". I've been showing up to the club for about 2 years now. Building on this project slowly. I started with a small 24 mm motor with and modified a kit to represent nearly the same size and shape of the final rocket. That rocket is very light weight. Then I moved to 38 mm motors and was successful again. Parts of that rocket were 3D printed and weighted about 3 pounds with the motor and ballast. By then I had already gotten my NAR level 2 at the club with a kit rocket using the same 38 mm motors. And finally I moved to 54 mm motors and an 8 pound rocket with varying levels of success. With the same size and shape, that rocket has flown twice, is stable and achieved the expected altitude. The first flight had a failed deployment and the second flight experienced damage (zippering) during deployment. So I was trying to get past those deficiencies in the next version which is where I'm currently stuck. I have always showed up with rocket simulation results using the motors I want to fly with so I can remove the experimental aspects as much as possible. The good news is that the simulations match the altimeter very closely which I am happy to report. So it seems the rocket has a good path forward, but perhaps, not with this club.

I'm staying out of this discussion, but just wanted to pop in and say that I laughed pretty hard at "crazy death rocket".

Wow, blatant disregard for the landowner's request for no metal.

They "worked around it"? It's a shame you condone the behavior of circumvention by deception of the landowner's request. And here I thought the OP's club sucked. So many have shamed me for expressing regard and concern for law/rules and defending "...application of the letter of the law...".

Your reference to the behavior of this particular club is a clear example of precisely why the rules must be enforced. I truly hope this eye-opening example of the general, disrespectful and intentionally disobedient club sentiment is not reflective of the TRF and nation-wide club community as a whole. However, judging by the numerous, spiteful responses of those who have shunned my defense of rules and laws within this thread I fear this is not the case.

Is the mentioned land owner aware of the club's violation of his request? What club is this? Please link to the thread that mentions this incident.

I think Bob explains it adequately in the post linked below. Knowing Bob and how he can be "direct" at times I feel there is no deception here and they are following the land owners' requests.

Here you go:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?133610-Question-on-Argonia-rule&p=1575499#post1575499

Don't we all have a 'crazy death rocket' buried deep in our fleet / pile?

OK, it may not be built, or painted, but it's there.. with all the pokey bits, the quadrabazillion kilo joules of oomph, the spacey 'plaid' speed factor, the cool unobtanium cockpit shroud.. And held high in our hand as we jog around the basement / garage / tool shed / man cave making all the cool 'woosh-wooosh - pew-pew-pew' sounds and swooping it to & fro...

Having only been launching high power for 2 years, I've already seen plenty of non-regulation crap going up. I mean, didn't someone throw cell phones off their rocket to demonstrate the strength of the case? I can just imagine showing up at the club with that rocket and try to explain what I was trying to do. Exactly how do approach that?

imo, that theres a good concern and I hope its not something like the old building inspector in a lil town I lived in quite some time ago where if you were a good friend, bought a 12 pack, or padded his pocket anything got passed.

I think the OP needs to re-examine his communication techniques, both at the RSO table and on this forum. It looks to me as if the issue is the club does not want exposed (non painted) metal parts on rockets due to the Landowner's requests, however silly they may seem.

That is a long way from: " My rocket is too dangerous. Where can I launch?" "The club RSO said I cannot launch my rocket. It uses 3 metal screws to hold in the electronics bay. A clear violation of the NAR guidelines?!? Anyway, is there anywhere in the US I can launch?" Especially given it was his first post ever which made him look like a grumpy old troll. If you need to bitch there are better, more accurate ways to do it on TRF.

Very surprising given the OP is Certified Level Two and has been flying with the club for two years. At that level you should know the club's rules or learn and respect them real quick, especially if there has been a site conflict with exposed metal parts and nervousness abides in the club. In the end the grumpy RSO's ruling is final, no appeals, tough luck.

These are not the easiest things to do but some old Toltec wisdom may help: “The Four Agreements:
1. Be impeccable with your word.
2. Don’t take anything personally.
3. Don’t make assumptions.
4. Always do your best. ”

Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom

So forget about it, move on, improve and keep up the good work.:)

I had an instrument mounting coupler that contained metal, a lot of metal. That component might get called an airframe element. I asked if we could swap that out with a section of blue tube, would it be sufficient.

This seems an important part of the issue that probably should have made the original message.

At that point, I thought the RSO might say yes, after another review of the rocket. But I think maybe, he just plain didn't want to deal with me anymore. I'm not really sure.

That happens, and it stinks. If you want to fly, though, you do what you can to comply with the rules and show that you comply.

Seriously, rocket people are weird. It cracks me up the crap we'll argue over. The no metal workaround issue....duh, motor cases are metal. Splitting split hairs seems to be a high form of entertainment around here.

Proof man, I need proof! If you say we are weird, at least give me an ICD10 code for the specific diagnosis. Some suggestions:

• V97.33XD: Sucked into jet engine, subsequent encounter.
  • Y93.D: Activities involved arts and handcrafts.
  • Y93.D: V91.07XD: Burn due to water-skis on fire, subsequent encounter​.
  • W22.02XD: V95.43XS: Spacecraft collision injuring occupant
  • R46.1: Bizarre personal appearance

I'm leaning toward ICD10 F06.8

3k+ views in about 1 day is good even for a decent youtube vid!

You need a 'Roughnecks' tattoo to show off the next time you take that field ...

Rico's Roughnecks !

Kenny
MIdfa3.gifDFAorig+.gif

many people have referenced an unnamed club that requires paint on metal.

Its kloudbusters, and they exempt screws..... so thats not the club in question here.
https://www.kloudbusters.org

without photos or a better description from the OP, its all guessing.

Last edited:
I have always taken the approach to be safe with this project. I certainly wouldn't have taken 2 years to try to attempt to do what I'm working on. And my communication with the club regarding this project may not have been stellar, but it wasn't lacking when I got to this point. I respect the RSOs decision. He has a lot more riding on this than anyone else. If there is an issue, safety or not, the club could lose their launch site which would be a whole lot of NO FUN for a lot of people. Regardless, I agree, flying this rocket at a normal club is just too dangerous. It doesn't matter that other people are obviously violating the guidelines. Another reason to post here is simply because I know this board has a lot of experienced flyers. I am surprised by the number of posts and the lack of agreement on some of the issues.

I don't think there is any request from the land owner regarding metal parts. The RSO went straight to the NAR high power guidelines when considering this issue.

Telling us how safe you are is, unfortunately meaningless.... You asked if there was place you could launch.

Show us the rocket and we'll tell you.

Wow, blatant disregard for the landowner's request for no metal.

They "worked around it"? It's a shame you condone the behavior of circumvention by deception of the landowner's request. And here I thought the OP's club sucked. So many have shamed me for expressing regard and concern for law/rules and defending "...application of the letter of the law...".

Your reference to the behavior of this particular club is a clear example of precisely why the rules must be enforced. I truly hope this eye-opening example of the general, disrespectful and intentionally disobedient club sentiment is not reflective of the TRF and nation-wide club community as a whole. However, judging by the numerous, spiteful responses of those who have shunned my defense of rules and laws within this thread I fear this is not the case.

Is the mentioned land owner aware of the club's violation of his request? What club is this? Please link to the thread that mentions this incident.

Here you go: https://tinyurl.com/2fcpre6

Proof man, I need proof! If you say we are weird, at least give me an ICD10 code for the specific diagnosis. Some suggestions:

• V97.33XD: Sucked into jet engine, subsequent encounter.
  • Y93.D: Activities involved arts and handcrafts.
  • Y93.D: V91.07XD: Burn due to water-skis on fire, subsequent encounter​.
  • W22.02XD: V95.43XS: Spacecraft collision injuring occupant
  • R46.1: Bizarre personal appearance
You left out Y35.5 which is rather surprising given your list.

just sayin'

It's pointless now. I found another place to launch where I can be super dangerous. Hopefully that works out for me.

Out of curiosity- where are you flying at? or at least, which state/area of the US if you're not willing to give more details?

I have always taken the approach to be safe with this project. I certainly wouldn't have taken 2 years to try to attempt to do what I'm working on. And my communication with the club regarding this project may not have been stellar, but it wasn't lacking when I got to this point. I respect the RSOs decision. He has a lot more riding on this than anyone else. If there is an issue, safety or not, the club could lose their launch site which would be a whole lot of NO FUN for a lot of people. Regardless, I agree, flying this rocket at a normal club is just too dangerous. It doesn't matter that other people are obviously violating the guidelines. Another reason to post here is simply because I know this board has a lot of experienced flyers. I am surprised by the number of posts and the lack of agreement on some of the issues.

I don't think there is any request from the land owner regarding metal parts. The RSO went straight to the NAR high power guidelines when considering this issue.

Hello Wardini, and welcome to the forum!!! :) :) :)

Lots of interesting posts and replies here - sometimes this place can be kinda' wacky. Don't worry or be discouraged - you really are in exactly the right place - for rocketry discussion and sharing of knowledge... and opinions. :surprised:

One thing is for certain. We are all glad you are here. I sure am enjoying this lively discussion! I would love to hear more about you and your rockets!!!

Oh Yeah... I almost forgot... PICTURES!!! We love PICTURES.

Here's a picture of the rocket I'm going to launch this weekend at "BONG" with my NAR club #558 "Woosh". This is my Wildman Demon 54.

... yes the tip of the nose cone is aluminium.

DSCN0646.jpg

Don't we all have a 'crazy death rocket' buried deep in our fleet / pile?

OK, it may not be built, or painted, but it's there.. with all the pokey bits, the quadrabazillion kilo joules of oomph, the spacey 'plaid' speed factor the cool unobtanium cockpit shroud.. And held high in our hand as we jog around the basement / garage / tool shed / man cave making all the cool 'woosh-wooosh - pew-pew-pew' sounds and swooping it to & fro...

That's the most "ludicrous" post yet. LOL. I love that movie.

Back