Should the watering hole be eliminated?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should The Watering Hole be eliminated?

• No, I love hearing about the most offensive things possibly on a rocketry forum

• Of course, Kill it now

• print the files out and burn them

• There is no need for this trash, nuke it all please

Results are only viewable after voting.
TRC is a forum without an Off Topic section, and it get what 2? 3? posts a day on a busy day? Really... here's a soundbyte.

I'm saying that, and I'm a moderator over there.

Erm, TRC is a ghost yard because it's fairly new and not much drives people there.

TRF has what, over 15 years of posts getting tripped by search engines? Everything funnels here despite anything... Having a watering hole has -nothing- to do with that lol. I could just as much claim TRC is a failure because I'm not there, and TRF a success because I'm here.

We all have the right to IGNORE any user on the forum. The watering hole should stay. If it dries up, and I see TRF drying up too with it.

TRC is a forum without an Off Topic section, and it get what 2? 3? posts a day on a busy day? Really... here's a soundbyte.

[video=youtube;Yd0fBXwDBmo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd0fBXwDBmo[/video]

I'm saying that, and I'm a moderator over there.

EXACTLY!
That Forum wanted to be nothing but rocketry related, and avoid a watering hole, and it was like the "Soup Nazi" Episode of Seinfeld.
Eventually nobody gains anything there that is not already known, as sharing is shunned, and opinions will get you banned.
This Forum is successful because of it's format, for better or worse, and we all just have to put in a little more effort, myself included, to make it a nicer place to hang out.

The other forums about rockets miss the point entirely, and they obviously fail in an Epic fashion, or else we'd be hanging out there.
Silly other Rocket forums with nothing to talk about and few members.:lol::no:

What do you think?

My vote is to kill it. It's just wholly pointless to have an OT forum, and especially to give it the top position on the forum.

Hahahhhhaaaaaa! Delete the most read forum?

If you don't like it, don't read it.

Your poll isn't worth a vote.

Mike

Hahahhhhaaaaaa! Delete the most read forum?

If you don't like it, don't read it.

Your poll isn't worth a vote.

Mike

You equate quantity with quality? I'd rather eat a pound of steak over 5 pounds of defication.

Simple

When you go to a launch,, do you discuss anything besides rockets?

No....have you met the people I launch with? I don't wanna know what those freaks do in their free time...

More to the point, there is a distinct difference between being at a launch with people, and being on a forum. When Rocket conversation runs out at a launch, you're still physically at a launch doing something and physically stuck there. While on a forum, when rocketry talk runs out... you can go somewhere else on the internet.

I do have to say I'm impressed with the number of people offended by my poll who are stopping by to tell me to ignore things that offend me.

Thank you all.

You equate quantity with quality? I'd rather eat a pound of steak over 5 pounds of defication.

Sounds like you enjoy both. As in you must read The Watering hole on a regular basis....To try and get everyone to form your opinion.

Mike

Sounds like you enjoy both. As in you must read The Watering hole on a regular basis....To try and get everyone to form your opinion.

It's easier when other people form my opinion. Saves me from having to do it.

Just re-name it to "pi$$ and Moan"

The folks that have the biggest problem with OT threads also whom appear to be the ones who are completely unable to just pass by the damn thing by, always loudly "pi$$ and Moan" the most.

You guys would miss it so much.

How did you even see this thread then? ;)

You're no troll Dave, don't worry. I have only used the ignore button twice. One guy has since left and the other, well, I don't know as I can't read his posts...:lol:

There's a difference between an occasional rant and outright as-a-nine behavior.

Cthulhu says no. He feeds on the emotions frothing about in the Watering Hole

Cthulhu is a fictional construct and as such has no say😀

This discussion has been going on since the inception of forums etc.

Personally, I have at points seen it both ways. Generally, I think it is ok if people can behave- that is asking for a lot though. If I were the admin it would likely not be at the top of the heap.

Cthulhu is a fictional construct and as such has no say

This discussion has been going on since the inception of forums etc.

Personally, I have at points seen it both ways. Generally, I think it is ok if people can behave- that is asking for a lot though. If I were the admin it would likely not be at the top of the heap.

It's good to have a trash dump... Invariably a forum will become a good percent of main user's only social contact, or a bulk of it. So if you don't have a dump station, they'll pollute other areas of the forum.

Also, I do recognize the value of forming a community. It gets people closer, and that's good both for people, and for the forum as it keeps the post count and hits going.

My two main points I guess are it shouldn't have top sitting, and if you're going to have an OT section, moderating it is a bit odd. Or perhaps we all just fail as humans and the OT sections bring it out more than the rest of the forum. But even the rest of the forum has broken down into any type of dissent leads not to conversation, but flat out attacks. Unless everyone agrees, it's just WWIII.

Perhaps we should legalize weed and everyone just sit back and think about things for a bit....

Well you could always move to Canada for that, but then you would have to leave your guns behind :wink:

I do like my guns... and it's so ironic with you having all that awesome hunting and hiking land. I'd have to learn French again...but I should do that anyways.

You created such highly biased poll option “descriptions” that I REFUSE to vote in it.

I would vote NO in the poll, but the rest of the words you associated to those who vote no are ridiculous.

• No, I love hearing about the most offensive things possibly on a rocketry forum

The problem is not the Watering hole. It is the non-water holes who post the offensive material. Much of which are not allowed by TRF rules, but for reasons I will never understand, very often allowed by the moderators until sometimes things “get out out of hand” (sort of like being “a little bit Pregnant”, it either is or is not, no "little bit").

Indeed, due to a certain event a few months ago, including being insulted by a mod, I have not posted a word anywhere else but in the Watering Hole. At some point I’ll end the double-secret (well, not secret now) probation that TRF has been on since then, and post rocket content, in other subforums, but not anytime soon.

Anyway, I have seen offensive crap posted in other areas of TRF before. Getting rid of the Watering Hole would not solve that. Getting rid of the ones who KEEP POSTING OFFENSIVE CRAP is the more appropriate solution.

Last edited:
The problem is not the Watering hole. It is the non-water holes who post the offensive material. Much of which are not allowed by TRF rules, but for reasons I will never understand, very often allowed by the moderators until sometimes things “get out out of hand” (sort of like being “a little bit Pregnant”, it either is or is not, no "little bit").

;) I think you're starting to see my point.

Yes, we should nuke the Watering Hole. And delete any thread that is for non-rocketry stuff. And any thread in which anyone is offended by anything someone else said. And I want a Safe Space acknowledgement when people log in.

You fellas wanna hear a story? Of course you do!

Once upon a time there was this little old maid who lived all alone on the 8th floor of a high rise apartment in a major city. She had no living relatives and had little to do with her time except play solitaire, listen to talk radio and stare out the window all day. One day as she gazed outside she was shocked to see a man in the apartment house across the alley standing in front of his window totally nude. She could not believe her eyes but continued to stare. After a long while she decided to call the police and report the disgusting behavior of her neighbor.

Soon an officer arrived and asked her what the problem was. She explained the situation and told the officer to come into her living room so he could see for himself. The policeman walked over to the window, opened the blinds and looked outside. He then turned to the old woman and said, "I'm sorry ma'am but I don't see a thing."

The old woman replied, "I'm sorry. Let me get you my step ladder and binoculars...he's down on the third floor." :rofl:

Last edited:
Once upon a time there was this little old maid who lived all alone on the 8th floor of a high rise apartment in a major city. She had no living relatives and had little to do with her time except play solitaire, listen to talk radio and stare out the window all day.

I really thought this was heading into a "so she got a computer and joined a random forum and trolled it all day long" story....

It's a Rocketry forum...... deeeerp. I hate to say it, but unless we're sitting around a campfire at a launch, I don't really care about anyone here's personal life. That may sound harsh, but unless it comes up as a funny tangent on a thread, who cares if you like fishing? I don't.

This to me is exactly why it should stay.
Some of us are interested in the people here and getting to know more about them. This to me has been one of the friendliest hobbies I have been involved in.
I don't see any problem with moving it to the bottom, but to remove it completely I would be against.
I love the ability for people to show us their other hobbies and things they get inspiration from.
I choose not to get involved in political and/or religious threads and wish people would keep those views out of here.
I think as a mature group we should be able to keep the watering hole clear of antagonist threads.

All I really found out in the Watering Hole is just how different all you turds are from me. Sometimes a peek under the skirt is not a good thing. I would kill it and keep the site about rocketry. Keep it a resource and not a community. Too much bickering and bullspit. Play rockets here and do other things on other sites. No if you'll excuse me, I suddenly feel the need to research circumcision.

If nobody replies to an offensive or politically pointed post, it would simply die a slow agonizing death and fall to the bottom of the recent posts list. Face it, for any so called offensive post, anyone who replies is as incendiary as the OP. So we need the watering whole to flush all of you out into plain sight. When I open TRF I go straight to 'New Posts' so the order in which the forums appear on the home page is not that relevant to me. I simply look at all posts regardless of topic, in order of most recent post, look at the subject and decide if it is of interest and read it. For those TWH posts it has to be some topic of interest for me to read it.

In other words if the subject was 'Hillary is a Crook' or 'Donald is a Racist' and it is in TWH, I would probably not bother with it. Nothing I have to say on that topic would add value to the original subject so why bother? It's the internet, don't have such a thin skin that you can't control your own actions. There are some TWH posts that are of interest that may not fit in LPR, MPR, HPR, etc. Leave things as they are and trust the people and the process. Do we have to make everything so milk toast digestible for the masses? Or is it time to put on your big person pants and be accountable on your own?

Last edited:
I say leave it. It's one of my favorite threads. If I see a thread I don't like, I skip over it and read something else, like a good build thread or two. :)

I think we should keep it. Of course it's filthy and disgusting. No one should hang out there all the time. But now and then it's fun to pop in and see if anything exciting is happening. In that spirit, I think it should be renamed the Glory Hole.

I light of a recent thread I've been participating in... I'm contemplating a build in the vein of qquake's Awareness build.

Bigger... Longer... U(know the rest).

And I know just the rocket...

002431_main.png

Last edited:
Back