TRF Summer Build Off: Delta Transport

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I think I got it. Picture 5 post 1. Ejection gases vent laterally into a pneumatic chamber. The only movable "plunger" is the forward centering ring just behind the nose cone of the glider. At the back of this chamber just behind the vent holes, a second centering ring is fixed to the body of the rocket, so can't move. Gases go out the vents, pressurize the chamber. Equal pressure in all directions, but only the forward centering ring (attached to glider) can move. The glider slides forward as the gas expands, uncovering the chute compartment. You also won't need wadding or a baffle. I REALLY like this.
The BT 5 down size is a great idea for giving you more room for ur chute. U may want to either smear some epoxy at the rearward (engine end) of your BT 5 to give it more flame resistance. Even better would be a cut section of an aluminum can, roll it up and it will self expand inside the BT5. U will find the duct works great but it will burn through right in front of the engine in a few flights if you don't protect it.
I won't steal ur design for this contest, but I am looking forward to trying it on some of my scratchers in the future. Ur ring fin elevator lock slot is another great idea.

Okay I think I got it. Picture 5 post 1. Ejection gases vent laterally into a pneumatic chamber. The only movable "plunger" is the forward centering ring just behind the nose cone of the glider. At the back of this chamber just behind the vent holes, a second centering ring is fixed to the body of the rocket, so can't move. Gases go out the vents, pressurize the chamber. Equal pressure in all directions, but only the forward centering ring (attached to glider) can move. The glider slides forward as the gas expands, uncovering the chute compartment. You also won't need wadding or a baffle. I REALLY like this.
The BT 5 down size is a great idea for giving you more room for ur chute. U may want to either smear some epoxy at the rearward (engine end) of your BT 5 to give it more flame resistance. Even better would be a cut section of an aluminum can, roll it up and it will self expand inside the BT5. U will find the duct works great but it will burn through right in front of the engine in a few flights if you don't protect it.
I won't steal ur design for this contest, but I am looking forward to trying it on some of my scratchers in the future. Ur ring fin elevator lock slot is another great idea.

BABAR that's exactly how it works, haha I quoted your explanation cause it's better than mine.

I think the 'through the glider' method is often over looked in scratch b/g designs. It should lend itself to straight boosts and potentially higher altitudes even with funkier gliders.
This delta transport rocket is probably the smallest size the through the glider method could work and if it's durable I plan on making more this size or maybe a 24mm.

Excited to see what you come up with.

Decided to make a low profile launch pad from an old hobbybench top my grandma gave me. Finally found a use for it.
image.jpgimage.jpg
I like how it turned out. some shots in travel and storage mode.
image.jpgimage.jpg

The rocket just needs to be painted. Mostly white, than idk what accent color. Red or orange probably.

It works! The video is terrible. Unfortunately the parachute did not open up. The model sat fully prepped in direct sunlight for about a half hour. The heat caused a piece of masking tape wrapped around the shroud lines to unfurl, stick to the chute and hold it closed.
[video=youtube;6s_t3uYzEBQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s_t3uYzEBQ[/video]

Despite the poor quality you can catch glimpses of the glider.
Here's the first time I can find it.
image.jpg

The path it takes at this point is a steep spiral dive, just needs more up elevator.
image.jpg
It's hard to make out after this point.

the booster didn't fare well. But the fin assembly and motor mount (the hard part to make) is unharmed. Just need to find the best way to replace the top half. I can't use an internal coupler because of the motor.
image.jpg
The culprit.
image.jpg
And how the glider looked. Pointed into the wind. It bounced to this position, came in basically nose first
image.jpg
Should have it repaired in a week or so.

and for fun the other rockets we launched so he could practice filming
[video=youtube;Woy87Zg6WVg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Woy87Zg6WVg[/video]
[video=youtube;ZGLGnqIZOpc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGLGnqIZOpc[/video]

Congrats on the flight and getting it to work!

(However sorry to hear about the booster...tough ouchie!)

Sounds like the glider is doing pretty good and should only need a bit of trim. :)

Thanks Ken!

I rewatched the video with a magnifying glass and volume, around 6 seconds you hear the ejection pop, unfortunately it's off camera. once it catches up you can see the blurry dot of a glider lol there's no way I can afford a real camera but I really should try and find something better.
image.jpg
It's in the bottom left.

Still lovin the design on this. Did the chute deploy?
The chute never opened, a stray piece of tape held it shut. Last time I make that mistake!
Either way It should have been launched with a B6-4 instead of the B6-2, and even then I think the glide would have been too fast for an enjoyable watch.

Back