A new stupid rocket idea: Sonotube downscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For some unknown reason this just popped into my head: build an LPR (or even MPR) finished to look like bare Sonotube with an orange traffic cone nose cone.

Bonus points for making it a base-drag model with a "bigfoot" cone instead of fins.
75561d1378420554-taping-trash-bag-end-sonotube-bigfoot.jpg

Sorry, my brain just does this sort of thing sometimes. Gotta let it out or it'll just jangle around in there causing trouble.

For some unknown reason this just popped into my head: build an LPR (or even MPR) finished to look like bare Sonotube with an orange traffic cone nose cone.

Bonus points for making it a base-drag model with a "bigfoot" cone instead of fins.

Sorry, my brain just does this sort of thing sometimes. Gotta let it out or it'll just jangle around in there causing trouble.

Since beauty is in the eye of the beholder if you think sonatube would make a good looking rocket. Go for it.
There have been many odd-rocs designed around Traffic cones and Funnel drag fin applications. Your idea might be interesting especially if you can recreate the HUGE DEEP spiral warp seams.

Since beauty is in the eye of the beholder if you think sonatube would make a good looking rocket. Go for it.

Good looking? Who said anything about that? Such a rocket would bask in the glory of its own homeliness.

Your idea might be interesting especially if you can recreate the HUGE DEEP spiral warp seams.

Ooh, now we're getting interesting. How to create deep grooves and then avoid hiding them under a wrap? Hmm...

Scale traffic cones seem to be readily available; these seem like a good value.

Last edited:
must use base as tailcone!

Back