Solar Impulse

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MClark

Reaction score
The solar powered plane in the process of flying around the world landed in the Phoenix area last night. I went with two friends to watch it land. It's lights could be see 30+ miles out. It passed directly over us at about 1000 feet. It is really slow, almost appearing stopped at times, we had noise from cars but seemed totally silent.
I estimate over 100 cars were park watching, good that many people were interested enough to go out of their way to be there.
https://www.solarimpulse.com

Mark

The Solar Impulse had a stay over at Moffett Field, CA.. near Google's base. (The airfield is managed by Planetary Ventures)
I was fortunate enough to get in on a tour inside their inflatable aircraft hangar. I'm not sure what was more impressive, the beautiful composite solar electric aircraft, or the tech-savy multilingual Swedish tour guide girls! They had just come from a long stay over in Hawaii and were surprisingly tan for April. (checking six for wife agro) I wasn't able to get more than a few feet from any structure, but I was very impressed with the fabrication and composite structures that I could see. Here's some shots from inside the inflatable hangar:

FullSizeRender (1).jpgFullSizeRender (2).jpgFullSizeRender (3).jpgFullSizeRender.jpgIMG_2297.jpg

Back