L1 and mach questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yow

Reaction score
I launched a pretty heavy 38mm Hurricane with F motor (giant eyebolts) last year without electronics. Chutes deployed and recovered, yay Rocksim. Think it's too big of a jump from F to I/H? I simmed a ~163 Ns impulse H motor on Rocksim, which gave me 2000ft.

Dumb L1 question; does a mentor give me an I/H motor or do I buy the H/I motor?

Also, looking at Alex's "body tubes are for sissies" post from last year, do clubs let you attach a nosecone and fins to a giant motor and fly it? I'm interested in mach 2.

You buy the H/I motor. Most clubs have vendors that will be glad to take your money.
As far as launching a motor with fins and a NC, really depends on the club but it's been done before!

I launched a pretty heavy 38mm Hurricane with F motor (giant eyebolts) last year without electronics. Chutes deployed and recovered, yay Rocksim. Think it's too big of a jump from F to I/H? I simmed a ~163 Ns impulse H motor on Rocksim, which gave me 2000ft.

Dumb L1 question; does a mentor give me an I/H motor or do I buy the H/I motor?

Also, looking at Alex's "body tubes are for sissies" post from last year, do clubs let you attach a nosecone and fins to a giant motor and fly it? I'm interested in mach 2.

https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/level-1-hpr-certification/
https://www.tripoli.org/Certification

If the hurricane is setup well,I say go for it. Some of the larger motors likely won't have long enough delays....but small things like H133's H123W's H238's etc should be fine.

It's a long way to get to the point you can strap a nosecone and fincan to a motor. But if you can do it right and safely, yea...clubs let that kinda stuff fly. hint: it's fairly hard to do right, even though it appears simpler because there are less parts and such.

Is that the RW Hurricane? It is a Dual Deploy rocket. Depending on field size, 2,000 ft may need the dual deploy, maybe not.

Good Luck... Photos and movies required.....

It is RW. I've been troubleshooting an Eggtimer. Hopefully get it working by June for some launches with VAST, else I might get some more altimeters with an accelerometer. Any (cheap) suggestions?

If you really want to certify, concentrate on your cert flight only. Don't let it become overly complex by adding anything that you is unfamiliar to you.
Contact your L1 mentor to see what he or she suggests about obtaining motors. Most small clubs do not have vendors onsite. You can order a motor for certification. Frequently there are special offers for people who wish to certify. Taking advantage of that could also get you some low cost motor hardware.

do clubs let you attach a nosecone and fins to a giant motor and fly it?
That's all I do in rocketry anymore. The motors just get bigger.

If you have a recovery system and good build techniques, then sure, I dont see why not.

Alex

Back