Dual deploy ejection charge holders

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyed

Reaction score
Using the clear bp holders from aerotech HP motors for dual deploy charges. I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this. Always trying to recycle something.:cool:

IMG_20160420_085834_859.jpg

IMG_20160420_090330_504.jpg

IMG_20160420_090402_865.jpg

IMG_20160420_091420_435.jpg

IMG_20160420_090942_607.jpg

IMG_20160420_091435_468.jpg

I do the same thing, only I use a blob of hot melt glue below the match head and pull it down through the hole while its hot. Let the glue cool then Ohm the ematch again to verify it is still good.

Test the resistance before installation and after, and write it on the tube. I do this when I prep several at once, and then, before flight or ground testing, I check the resistance one final time. If it matches (reasonably close given the precision of my meter), I'm confident it hasn't been damaged.

I do it the same, with hot melt glue, and fill the empty space with dog barf or a piece of an expanding foam ear plug.

Label with sharpie charge weight and drogue/main.

If you run out of centrifuge tubes, they're about $3 for 50 from China/Ebay with delivery taking about a week.

Trying to upload a video that shows nmbr1 .how low current starters like ematchs and others should not be continuity checked with most launch controllers. Second how the low current lighters are the best when using for DUAL DEPLOY or Air starting motors. Yes the match would need some type of augmentation like a piece of thermalite when airstarting it's if available or a piece of ..for example blue thunder propellant attached to the head.

I use those, too. I bought like 200 for $10 with shipping. Got some bigger ones from a friend. He bought the bigger ones and we just shared a bagful with each other.
I use poster tack to plug the bottom. Something about using hot glue gun on wires just doesn't feel right to me, though I know many people use it with no ill results.

Here is a solar igniter augmented w some type of fuse I had from years ago. A small piece left so I'll use it to demonstrate continuity check with the Estes e controller then lite it .this augmentation would be sufficient to light an G or H motor. And thank you Brett for the upload. Could you do it once more with the next demonstration?

IMG_20160426_185729_209.jpg

There will be the clip of the burn sufficient for a E or F composite IMO. The comparison burn of pyrodex p the fffg equivalent and ffffg BP burn rate and gas expansion is coming up Sorry. I can't get em now I'm having a bit of trouble with videos right now. I will post if I get problem fixed. My PC won't recognize my phone anymore. Thank you Brett.:)

Last edited:
I've used the centrifuge tubes before, though I didn't mess with drilling and glueing, I just put in the powder and ematch head jammed the cap shut on the wire. Check the resistance again, and maybe put a little making tape on it just to be sure. Now I mostly use the corner of a plastic bag all taped up on small birds and PVC holders epoxied to the bulkhead on bigger ones. The bags propellant grains come in are handy for this.

Back