2"NOM Pipe (2.38" OD) why so difficult.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob702Martinez

Zip-Tie Oversight Committee
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm looking for three, 2 foot sections of 2" Nom 2.38 OD pipe....either aluminum or steel. Home depot doesn't have it. Lowe's doesn't and the 3 metal yards I went to only sell it in 20 to 60 foot sections and charge 5 bucks a cut on top of the 85 to 150 bucks for the entire length. I looked for scraps and everything.

I looked at onlinemetals.com and just ordered a bunch of aluminum channel and I find the price alone for three, 2 foot sections, either steel schedule 10 to 40 or aluminum schedule 40 is almost as much as the 20+ foot sections with cuts locally. What happened to the good old days where a 20$ bill or 2 went a long way and people liked to help.

Any ideas or does anyone have access to it? I am in the middle of building probably the most overpriced launch pad and I'm too far in to turn back. :bang:

/rant :horse:

Are you looking for galvanized pipe or plain mild steel? You might check with your local fence supply companies and/or fence contractors. In the Dallas/Fort Worth area, these people https://jamiesonfence.com/ might have what you are looking for, but they are wholesale only. A fence contractor might have some cutoffs that would fill the bill? Good luck.

What you are looking for is 2" Schedule 40 6061T6 pipe. It's not going to be cheap. McMaster.com has it for $118.25 for 6'. That's ~$20 per ft. A local industrial pipe supplier might have is at 1/4 to 1/3 less. It's not hard to cut it yourself, but a local outfit should charge $1 to $2 per cut is reasonable. Lengths would be 24"-0.125"or so.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-(schedule-40)-unthreaded-pipe/=1261ncn

I have no idea what you are making, but 5' long x 1 3/8" steel TV mast is ~$5 to $10 if you look and it's weldable. You can take 6" off one end and weld them into a tetrahedron base with 3 leg at 120 degrees and the 4th vertical. Done right the remain 4.5' pieces will lock in to provide a 5' radius base.

Bob

To the OP, this may be your lucky day.

I just checked my scrap pile of usable junk and discovered that I have 3 pieces of 2 3/8" OD x 23 5/8" long, schedule 40 galvanized steel pipe. These were scraps from a fence project I built 25 years ago. If you can live with pipes that are 3/8" shorter than you were wanting, these might work for you. They weight about 7 lbs each so they would require a sturdy box or crate for shipping. Feel free to PM me here if you are interested or you can contact me at my website listed below.

So I'm looking for three, 2 foot sections of 2" Nom 2.38 OD pipe....either aluminum or steel. Home depot doesn't have it. Lowe's doesn't and the 3 metal yards I went to only sell it in 20 to 60 foot sections and charge 5 bucks a cut on top of the 85 to 150 bucks for the entire length. I looked for scraps and everything.

I looked at onlinemetals.com and just ordered a bunch of aluminum channel and I find the price alone for three, 2 foot sections, either steel schedule 10 to 40 or aluminum schedule 40 is almost as much as the 20+ foot sections with cuts locally. What happened to the good old days where a 20$ bill or 2 went a long way and people liked to help.

Any ideas or does anyone have access to it? I am in the middle of building probably the most overpriced launch pad and I'm too far in to turn back. :bang:

/rant :horse:

How about all three of what I have for $10 plus shipping costs for about 25 pounds? Or, you can buy the aluminum from Online Metals (good company) at three for $17.72...$53.16 plus shipping.

After much searching and calling I found exactly what I wanted for a reasonable price.
3-Three Foot sections of 6061 schedule 40 aluminum pipe, 2.38OD for $7.62 a section and $21 to ship.
Out the door for 44 Bucks!
Thanks for the help guys!

Back