mDACS to RRC3, com port missing (Windows 7)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coop

Reaction score
TRF:

I've been struggling to download the altimeter data from my Red Glare flights. I'm attempting to use the USB IO device to download to my laptop, which is a Windows 7 machine. I've got a pair of RRC3's here I'm trying to use. I have used the mDACS/USB IO before with these altimeters without issue.

Here's what I figured so far: it is not the USB cable connecting the computer to the USB IO. This is known to be good.

mDACS has been uninstalled and reinstalled, thrice.
Drivers for COM ports have been downloaded. Updated drivers have been searched for, but nothing more current has been found. I've not been able to "roll back" the driver, as it appears I've always had the most current version on this install of Windows.
Com port was missing from Device Manager. I've managed to add one as a "legacy device," but have never successfully gotten it to work. I get (usually) error code 34. If not, I get error code 10. Once, however, I received an error code 12.

Can anyone help? I'm about at wits end...

Thanks!

--Coop

On my Win7 laptop timing is critical. Bring up mDACs. Turn on RRC3. Count to 4. Then hit connect within mDACs.

Also if you get an error when trying to hook up, I've found you need to exit mDACs and start again.

Last edited:
When you say:

it is not the USB cable connecting the computer to the USB IO. This is known to be good.

How do you know this? I have 3 usb cables that work for normal charging duties, but only one works with mdacs/ usb i/o. Also the port on my computer (running win 7) can be picky as well.

On my Win7 laptop timing is critical. Bring up mDACs. Turn on RRC3. Count to 4. Then hit connect within mDACs.

Also if you get an error when trying to hook up, I've found you need to exit mDACs and start again.

I used to be able to do this... now, however, I cannot. I can't select a communications port in the preferences of mDACS--and checking in Windows Device Manager, there is no com port installed...

When trying to connect, mDACS directs me to select a communications port on the preferences page. The drop down menu where one might do this is blank... no selection can be made.

Later!

--Coop

Last edited:
When you say:

How do you know this? I have 3 usb cables that work for normal charging duties, but only one works with mdacs/ usb i/o. Also the port on my computer (running win 7) can be picky as well.

Good point... The cable in question has pulled videos off a camera, as well as performs charging duties, so I'm figuring both the data connections as well as power wires are intact.

Later!

--Coop

I"m away on travel Coop, otherwise you could call and I'd talk you through some. If your PC doesn't recognize the USB dongle as virtual COM port, all other bets are off. Once it's operational from your Device Manager, then the mDACS app Ian do its thing. You will either need to manually update drivers using the latest (or perhaps earlier versions) from FTDI or run the latest "setup executable" from FTDI.

You can find all these from this link :https://www.ftdichip.com/ftdichip/Drivers/VCP.htm

I've had bad USB cable manifest as unrecognizable hardware in the past, so ensure that's truly not your issue. In addition, if you have a Raven or Stratologger that's operational, they both use the same USB stack silicon. Plug them in and query what driver version might be running that hardware.

Until the USB-IO is visible in Device Manager, don't monkey with anything else until that operation is solid.

Thanks, Jim! I'll be following that link shortly.

I did not consider trying the Raven--will do that, too, and see what transpires. Unfortunately, I don't have the Raven with me--it's on a sled at home (yes, I'm monkeying with this between 911 calls). Will fiddle with it some more and update with what I find...

Later!

--Coop

I have found that Drivers for the Mobius and other cams, mess up the downloading of flight and their data drivers.
I' m having trouble also, Win 7 64 bit Ultimate.
Also; try changing the com port number.
Mine jumps up to the 20's due to all my different devices.
Some don't like high COM port numbers for some reason or another...

Is anyone having trouble with memory on their RRC3 ?
I can 't seem to pull up one of my flight from Red Glare.
The Altimeter's first flight but, doesn't appear to have any flights to download??
Altimeter was purchased during Cyber Monday Special event.

JD

My dongle is picky about how the cable is installed. I've tried different cables, with no luck. I keep going back to the USB cable that came with the dongle and being careful.

I have to do things in exactly this order

1. Plug in the dongle with the switch to off
2. Start mdacs
3. Select the port
4. Plug in the rcc3
5. Click connect
6. Switch the dongle on
7. Profit!

I'm changing up my recommended connection procedure for the USB-IO with the RRC3 (using the USB-IO power supply):

- Preconnect everything except one end of the blue comm cable into the RRC3 (or dongle)
- Flip the USB Power switch ON
- Boot the mDACS app and ensure your USB Comm port is selected.
- Click "Host Connect" on the button bar to launch the connection timer
- Finally, plug in the free end of the blue comm cable and the altimeter will boot up and connect

Some RRC3's can actually boot up without power from the USB data lines... using the above procedure ensures it's always looking for the connection characters.

Also on this subject, the RTx board WILL NOT operate using the USB-IO power supply (it draws too much current). It does require an external battery in order to communicate w/mDACS.

Update:

Jim's advice of plugging in the Raven worked to create a USB COM Port in Device Manager. I was then able to select a communications port in mDACS preferences and connect to the altimeters using the updated connection advice, posted above.

Of the two RRC3's I flew, I got good data off of one of them. The other is garbled, and when I went to re-check with the LCD, the log is showing empty. Evidently, we lost data somewhere during the trying-to-connect procedure. The flight was nominal for that rocket--I just wanted to see the descent speed, because the off-brand streamer I used tangled in the shock cord. It will be replaced with one of my own. I'm half-wondering if I should re-bench test this altimeter to see if something is bad on it, or if it was simply lost through plugging/unplugging so many times/different ways.

So: if your COM Port is missing, try plugging in a Raven or Stratologger. Thanks, Jim!

Later!

--Coop

Back