Cheap Cameras

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielsadjadi

Reaction score
I'm taking my Leviathan up next month and I'm just wondering what cheap cameras around the 20 dollar range you guys have. I'm not looking for resolution or anything, just basic recording and a small size.

He also stands behind his product and it's guaranteed to work out of the box. Ones you get on eBay are a crapshoot.

That one does not have a card. I have one like the one you show, but it did not work well with a cheap card. I got a SanDisk Ultra 8GB and it works fine.

He also stands behind his product and it's guaranteed to work out of the box. Ones you get on eBay are a crapshoot.

Apparently this guy got it from the same seller who is based in the U.S, and it seems to be legit. Anyways, I will probably buy the one on Ebay and let you know how it went. Not trying to ruin his business, just pointing out for others who don't have the luxury of 20 bucks for something made for 10 cents in China.

[video=youtube;pWU3ec4-p4c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWU3ec4-p4c&nohtml5=False[/video]

We have all cameras in-stock tested and ready to ship with 8GB micro SD card installed. $19.99 for the regular 808 and $69.99 for the HD #16 camera.

ORDER TODAY AND IT SHIPS TOMORROW!
via priority mail!

https://bayouratrocketry.com

Apparently this guy got it from the same seller who is based in the U.S, and it seems to be legit. Anyways, I will probably buy the one on Ebay and let you know how it went. Not trying to ruin his business, just pointing out for others who don't have the luxury of 20 bucks for something made for 10 cents in China.

That's not a US seller. It's a Hong Kong vendor and it will take 4 to 6 weeks for delivery.

I want to warn people about 808 keychain camera knock offs. Externally they look nearly identical and they will capture video fine but there are some differences. First they have a non replaceable battery which will quickly become a problem. Also they cannot interface with the configuration software so you can't use some of the features you might expect from an 808. I have not found a true 808 camera for under $40. If all you need is a cheap camera that captures good video the knock offs should work fine, but just be aware of the differences. I have not purchased from bayou rat rocket so I am not sure if they are the real deal or not.

That's not a US seller. It's a Hong Kong vendor and it will take 4 to 6 weeks for delivery.
That is, IF it arrives at all. I ordered one of the $5 on Ebay. The first one didn't arrive at all. The replacement (after raising a complaint with Ebay) arrived after about 5 weeks. Did not come with a card and the quality is minimal. Got what I paid for I suppose.

Ebay China sellers seem to be getting worse. I recently ordered a phone case that arrived 22 days late!

I'd order from here. Only this seller.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/eletoponline365
Take this advice,
this seller is one of the few that have been listed as resellers for the 808 and mobius camera and while they may cost a little more you should at least get a decent camera.
Bayou rocketry has also always received praise for his cameras and it has a lot higher chance of working straight out of the box.
Any other sellers/resellers etc are hit and miss as to if you will get a decent product and if they will offer any help after your purchase.

I'd order from here. Only this seller.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/eletoponline365

I really liked how my L1 video turned out. Even if the we lost that first layer of tape.

That is the seller I originally got my genuine 808 cameras from. I believe they are the manufacturer.

I have started to use:
https://www.buymobius.com/

They sell genuine product from the states. They ship next day, I usually receive my order in 4 days. They also sell replacement parts and have good customer service.

Be aware the prices on their eBay store are 3x higher than the website for some spare parts. I haven't checked their Amazon store.

That is the seller I originally got my genuine 808 cameras from. I believe they are the manufacturer.

I have started to use:
https://www.buymobius.com/

They sell genuine product from the states. They ship next day, I usually receive my order in 4 days. They also sell replacement parts and have good customer service.

Be aware the prices on their eBay store are 3x higher than the website for some spare parts. I haven't checked their Amazon store.

I noticed the 808 camera's were sold with a difference in lenses (A, B, D) but I didn't see where it described what the differences were. Any idea?

I noticed the 808 camera's were sold with a difference in lenses (A, B, D) but I didn't see where it described what the differences were. Any idea?

My impression with 808 cameras is that they are now made by a zillion different people in a zillion different option sets. I think the name has been reduced to mean nothing but the size and shape.

I had several from a major auction web site, and they were all garbage. In fact that is exactly what led me to Mobius, which I greatly prefer and get excellent results from. However after losing a Mobius and being low on time to a launch, recently I stopped in at a local electronics retailer and got an 808 camera for 40 bucks. It works great too, nothing like the ones I had before. The picture quality cannot compete with more expensive cameras but it is reliable and functional.

Since Radio Shack is non-existent, who is the "local electronics retailer"? I'm not an electronics guy, forgive me :blush:.

Knowing that watermelonman is in CA, my guess would be Fry's Electronics (though I never noticed that they sell any 808-style cameras there). I know they have some stores in TX, not sure if there are any in AL.

A few months ago, I started researching inexpensive cameras. I looked at some on e-bay and Amazon, but finally decided on the one offered by www.flightcommandersystems.com. It's not an 808, (to be honest, I don't know what it is...), but I e-mailed the owner of the site, and got an almost immediate response. He checks out each unit before shipping, and will stand behind it if there is a problem. So, I ordered one, along with the mounts for a 2.5" body tube. I received it less than a week later, and tested it out, worked just fine.
The only problem was, it came with mounts for a 5.5" tube, not the 2.5" And, I was leaving for LDRS a day and a half later. So, I contacted him, and he immediately sent out the correct mounts, but they didn't arrive in time (he did send express mail). I mounted it on another project, and was very happy with the results.
I can only say find someone who backs the product like this one. I don't know personally about Bayou Rocketry, but I've read good things here on the forum. I think I would avoid all the really expensive ones, I've read too many stories about poor quality.

Phil L.

Since Radio Shack is non-existent, who is the "local electronics retailer"? I'm not an electronics guy, forgive me :blush:.

Radio Shack is still around. Online and bricks and mortar stores. At least in my neck of the woods.

Back