Another Mobius Camera Shroud

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsrocketman

Reaction score
After watching all the awesome onboard videos that have been posted, I've decided to join the crowd and get a Mobius camera. I know there are several ways and opinions on how to mount them, and other shrouds available. I felt like I wanted something a little different, so this is the design I came up with. The camera slides in from the bottom and is secured with a small cap and screws. The entire shroud can be mounted with glue, screws, or bolts along the centerline. I'm using short 6/32 bolts with blind nuts on the inside of the body tube. It makes for a quick way to transfer it between rockets.

**Edit** 4/27/2016 - Attached is the Openscad file. You will need to modify it to fit your particular rocket diameter.
View attachment MobiusShroud.zip

If you are interested in one of these, but don't have access to a 3D Printer, send me a PM.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 138
  • FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 136
  • FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 138
  • FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
After watching all the awesome onboard videos that have been posted, I've decided to join the crowd and get a Mobius camera. I know there are several ways and opinions on how to mount them, and other shrouds available. I felt like I wanted something a little different, so this is the design I came up with. The camera slides in from the bottom and is secured with a small cap and screws. The entire shroud can be mounted with glue, screws, or bolts along the centerline. I'm using short 6/32 bolts with blind nuts on the inside of the body tube. It makes for a quick way to transfer it between rockets.

Once you slide it in, how do you get the camera out?
I do not see a way to push it out.
Dave A

Nice! Do you plan to make the STLs available? :D

Once you slide it in, how do you get the camera out?
I do not see a way to push it out.
Dave A

That's a good catch! The first particular iteration wasn't overly tight and the camera would come back out with minor effort. I can see how having a way to push it out would be a benefit. I've since added a small slot along the top to help get it started out of the shroud.

He made the OpenSCAD file available, from which you can generate the STL for a shroud appropriate for your airframe diameter.
I think that may have been added today after I asked, but anyway, cool and thanks. An openSCAD file is far better than just an STL for a specific body tube OD.

BTW, nice code. Descriptive variable names and well commented.

BTW, nice code. Descriptive variable names and well commented.

Ditto, it is very nicely commented. I recently ran across a quote by Hal Abelson, something like, "Programming code is meant to be read by humans, and only occasionally to be executed by computers."

Your comment inspired me to look up quotes about commented code. The one in bold type is the reason I comment my own code as much as I do:

"Commenting your code is like cleaning your bathroom - you never want to do it, but it really does create a more pleasant experience for you and your guests." - Ryan Campbell

“Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand. ” - Martin Fowler

“Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Abelson / Sussman

“Programming can be fun, so can cryptography; however they should not be combined.” - Kreitzberg and Shneiderman

“Any code of your own that you haven't looked at for six or more months might as well have been written by someone else.” - Eagleson's law

"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." - Rick Osborne

"Comments in code are like sex. When they are good -- it's very, very good. But when they are bad, they are better than nothing." - Anonymous

"Don't code today what you can't debug tomorrow." - Anonymous

"The best indication of software quality is consistent indentation." - Anonymous

/* You are not expected to understand this. */ - Comment in Sixth Edition Unix

Love it!

The only thing I will note is that I flew a Mobius in a rocket last year, inside a different 3D printed shroud.
I couldnt get to recover the rocket for over an hour. When i got to it, I had the damnedest problem getting it OUT of the shroud.
Upshot is that the heatsinks had melted the plastic a little and it had welded itself inside.

Yes interested in a couple - pm me

Slots over the heatsink would be a great idea.

Here's an updated picture with the addition of a slot to help in removal of the camera. It should allow you to get a small screw driver behind the camera and start nudging it out.

RemovalSlot.jpg

Back