Open Rocket: Fin Frustration... Decals.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, this is getting annoying... For all my skills in OR, I still can't get decals (on the fins) to work right for me, I invert them, have them pointed to the right, and still they never come out looking the way I want.

Here's a really rough draft of what I'm trying to achieve...

Here's that concept in a quick and dirty fin fake out (the same kind of thing I did for the Omega, and many of the other fin "decals")...

Then taking that information, I was able to create this "decal"...

which when "applied" yields this...

So, any ideas on how to get the effect I'm looking for? A tutorial would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Jim

View attachment Fin Frustration.ork

I'll take a whack at this if no one else chimes in first with a solution. I've found that I can *usually* beat the decals into submission, but sometimes it requires some non-intuitive hacking.

I did this using the method described in my tutorial, with a slight extension due to the two-piece fins. I'll describe when I get a chance, in the meantime here is the updated file.

View attachment 280347
View attachment 280345

THANKS!!!!

While I wasn't able to exactly match what I've wanted (the image above was a concept), this has allowed me to take my work a bit further.

Please do share the extension, as I'd love to see what I can really do with this.

All The Best!
Jim

Should I add it to the tutorial thread? That seems like the best place to keep it for posterity. I'll use your file and design as the example if that's OK.

Should I add it to the tutorial thread? That seems like the best place to keep it for posterity. I'll use your file and design as the example if that's OK.

Please do, and toss a link to it from here.

BTW, The origin of the Fin Frustration was the Binder Design Excelerator. However, since I hadn't received permission to share it from Mike (Binder Design) I didn't want to betray his trust and disclose what I was working on. I altered the scale of the rocket, and made other changes to hide its origin. Now that I've received permission, I can show you all what I've ended up with.

I've posted the .ork file in my .ork file thread.

Last edited:
Back