Securing a trailer.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your rims have holes in them, the largest chain that can pass through the holes and be padlocked to something solid would be a big help, too. For example chain both wheels together so they cannot rotate and then from there to the frame as well for added deterrent. Unless there is an affordable version of the Denver boot?

Adrian
By the way, an unloaded (or lightly loaded) tandem axle trailer will go down the road just fine missing one wheel, which is why I suggest to chain both. A determined thief would maybe take off one wheel, but both??

Storing the trailer out-of-sight, such as in a garage, is probably the best deterrent. In a fenced-in area would be good, too, as would chaining it to something. After that, wheel locks are probably second best, but are troublesome to install and remove. A coupler lock is much more convenient, but probably isn't going to stop a committed thief. It would, however, prevent a casual or opportunistic theft.

I would say that if you're going to park it out in the open, regularly, use a wheel lock. If it is just occasionally parked outdide, use a coupler lock.

-- Roger

Preventing the opportunistic thefts should go a long way to ensuring that your trailer stays where you parked it. Keeping it out of sight, if possible, should be step 1. Step 2 would be to apply the security measure of your choice, I like the idea of using a heavy chain as a wheel lock to the frame. Step 3, if you have a tandem axel trailer, lock the second axel to the frame with a second lock. For me, step 4 would be a hitch lock. Apply the measures as you see fit for your circumstances. The idea here is to use simple and inexpensive measures to force thieves to take time, something that they do not want to do.

I know of a contractor who has a modified tongue on his trailer where the hitch is removable, it simply slides into a receiver. He locks the hitch in a Site Safe which is in his locked trailer. It takes just a minute or two to install/remove. He claims that it has proven its effectiveness more than once. I can't speak to the legality of this but it may be an option if you are building a trailer.

Security video cameras with recording are a great deterrent as well. They don't cost much, isn't too hard to install and can also prove useful in other ways. Since I've installed mine, I've caught two accidents where other vehicles hit my vehicle while it was parked in the driveway. Also almost no cases of dog walkers leaving bad mojo in front of my house. I grew up with a klepto in the family, so I've got somewhat of an intimate knowledge of how a thief may think and want to risk. Video cameras are generally things to avoid unless you're really committed/desperate/sneaky. If all else fails, you can use the footage for police and insurance investigation. Check local laws regarding video recording just in case.

Thanks. I may store it in an area on my property with a chain link fence. On the field, I may buy a wheel lock.

I know of a contractor who has a modified tongue on his trailer where the hitch is removable, it simply slides into a receiver. He locks the hitch in a Site Safe which is in his locked trailer. It takes just a minute or two to install/remove. He claims that it has proven its effectiveness more than once. I can't speak to the legality of this but it may be an option if you are building a trailer.

This is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

It is sad that people have to go to extremes to prevent theft.

One Word.....Rottweiler.

Scary-Look-Of-Rottweiler.jpeg

It is sad that people have to go to extremes to prevent theft.

It's sad I grew up in an apartment with bars on the windows and plywood shutters on the inside...to keep out criminals. That's sometimes the world we live in. There are good people and bad people. The way to stay ahead is to at least be aware and try to be prepared (to a reasonable degree).

Hey, how about a gps location unit (like "Lo-jack")? One trick I did with my first new car many years ago was I got Lo-Jack pamphlets, cut out their logo and glued them to the inside of the windows. I didn't have Lo Jack at that time; however a thief wouldn't know and usually won't risk. Nowadays they leave stolen cars in a cool off zone in case there is tracking, but if you have it you can possibly locate it.

Hey, how about a gps location unit (like "Lo-jack")? One trick I did with my first new car many years ago was I got Lo-Jack pamphlets, cut out their logo and glued them to the inside of the windows. I didn't have Lo Jack at that time; however a thief wouldn't know and usually won't risk. Nowadays they leave stolen cars in a cool off zone in case there is tracking, but if you have it you can possibly locate it.

A good use for Giant Leap Rocketry's Trackimo, if you can get a bigger battery for it.

If theives want it, they will take it. Sad, but, true. The best you can do, is make it as hard as possible to steal, and, easy to identify. The longer it takes to steal, and harder it is to cover identifiable markings, the less attractive it will be to a theif. We have a 5x8 enclosed trailer, and, a pop up camper. I have them parked angled toward each other tongue to tongue, tongue locks, and, chained together.I also have a spare vehicle (old Bronco II), that I am able to park over the tongue of both (I swap directions every now and then so no one ever knows if we are home or not). If someone tries to push them backwards, there are trenches directly behind the wheels, that they must fill, or, have enough muscle to push out of. I live in a very rural area, and, many around us have had trailers of all types stolen. We've never had a problem other than a propane bottle being stolen off the camper (which we never store there now).

I used a big chain through all 4 tires and up and over the axels locked with 2 locks. Mind you a had 30k worth of rc equipment in there when I used to travel cross country to the races. At one point i had those orange boots locked on the wheels.

Maybe I could put a big LED light that flashed the message "THIEF" on the roof without being disarmed. At least it will make is east for the police to find.

+1 My latest car in bright blue with white stripes and customized funny plate may raise brows at rocket launches; however I told my wife a thief would be an idiot to steal something that noticeable. LOL

There is a serious point to that. Our trailer says "JonRocket.com" on the side and features bright blue reflective stripes. It has (mostly) rocketry-oriented stickers on the back. If it were stolen, it would be easy to identify. And, the graphics tell potential thieves that the trailer is full of worthless rocket stuff instead of easy-to-pawn lawn equipment or tools.

-- Roger

A SEAL Team.

Infrared targeted automatic shotgun

Electrify the whole trailer

Seriously, dual locks are good. Do you have a mechanism to lock the axle?

I heard of guys installing those GPS real time trackers on the trailer to locate it as they have their own power supply that lasts for 30 days or so and just change out the battery once a month.

I am on an inflatable boat forum based out of the UK. Apparently there is a lot of theft over there and people swear by the GPS tracking units.

LOL put a bunch of poison, corrosive, explosive, oxidizer, flammable, radioactive signs or stickers on it.

And be prepared for the ticket from DOT, because when they pull you over and A)Don't have any hazmat in the trailer and its marked as having it that is a fine-able offense or B) You do have some and its mis-marked or you don't have proper hazmat shipping papers and the proper license endorsement that's a really big fine. The fines for incorrect markings are per incident so if you had all 6 placards on the trailer or they were the wrong size that would be 6 violations, and it gets expensive fast, might even make a stolen trailer look cheap. Where I live at if the trailer is showing radioactive materials several things would happen first Dept of Energy would get a call or Hanford Patrol, then both would show up at your house along with a team of Health Physics Technician aka Rad Techs, and probably a few NCO's aka Nuclear Chemical Operators, and Teamsters to take possesion of the transport trailer, all that would be really funny :roll:(at least for me).

smile.png
I do understand the reasoning and the jest you are putting into this statement.

See above..... bad idea don't listen to me. :) just buy a GPS tracker and some chains. Although you could drive around Vegas with that and not be a problem until Deputy-Do-Right pulls you over and pulls his gun on you as of lately. Can't say I blame them as of late though, just sucks to be on the receiving end.

Back