DO NOT IGNORE THIS: Anyone ever put a 3/8" eye bolt in a Pinnacle nose cone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
I want to add a little extra weight in the forward end of my Radial Flyer, so I bought a 3/8" x 4" eye bolt. Of course, it didn't dawn on me that Pinnacle NCs are sized for a 1/4" shaft.

Anyone ever try putting something bigger in there? If so, any tips?

I had to add weight to my Zodiac so I ended up cutting off base and added lead shot following John Cokers method and then added a better bulkhead inside NC.

zodiac NC.jpg

[video]https://youtu.be/WDjgq0hfsgw[/video]

Yeah, I might do that, but hoping to not have to. Stability looks to be about 1.85, but since it is going over Mach, I want to get it up to 2.0.

I had similar situation with a 3in Bullpup.

I used a heavy 1/2 eyebolt to add needed weight. Drilled out the 1/4 hole to fit new eyebolt.

Cut a small square "hatch" in side of shoulder, to allow access and place a washer and nut on the inside. Using a box cutter I only cut 3sides of hatch, leaving a flap. Prying open with screw driver to access, do work, then close.

On occasion, needed to add a large quick link to eyebolt to add weight for bigger motor, but remove for smaller ones.

That's what I have done on all my Pinnacle NCs ... with a 1/4" shaft. But the base seems to be about the same size as the 3/8" bolt shaft.

pinnacle.jpg

I do it the way Jim said, but remove the 'hatch' completely.

Cut a small square "hatch" in side of shoulder, to allow access and place a washer and nut on the inside. Using a box cutter I only cut 3sides of hatch, leaving a flap. Prying open with screw driver to access, do work, then close.

+1. Although I just use a 3/4" circle cutter bit versus a square hatch. Takes only a minute or two for the whole process.

So, cut off the whole "hatch" (is that the thing you screw into? with or without the quick-link flanges?), drill a 3/8" hole, and bolt right the bulkhead? Is the bulkhead stable enough?

002_0A.jpg

I put a washer and nut on the inside...thus the need for a hatch. Also a portal for later nose weight if the cone is reused and its required.

Cut the nipple off, I used box cutter, some do it with Dremel.....flush with bottom of cone, then enlarge hole to needed size.
Put a large enough washer inside to provide the needed support.

BSG's Hatch

Richard-Hatch.jpg

Now if I could only figure a way of making a joke by using

Boxey
200px-Boxey.jpg

Then again... that could be a Never Ending Story:

64d86ea7800213a98554dca865a3ace1.jpg

I guess I should just go out to hang out at

tumblr_mqrrhgsL4x1sdsi4io1_500.jpg

Last edited:
Internet Explorer? You should be ashamed of yourself. Here:

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chro...gn=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk&utm_medium=ha

Help yourself, it's called Chrome. Get used to it.

FireFox works just fine for me, thank you very much. Chrome didn't do anything for me that Firefox couldn't already do.
To each his own. Maybe some people actually like IE :confused2:
However, neither Chrome nor IE, and/or Firefox will mount a 3/8" eyebolt in a nosecone...

Adrian

FireFox works just fine for me, thank you very much. Chrome didn't do anything for me that Firefox couldn't already do.
To each his own. Maybe some people actually like IE :confused2:
However, neither Chrome nor IE, and/or Firefox will mount a 3/8" eyebolt in a nosecone...

Adrian

All three of them however will allow you to learn how to do it. :)

Back