What happened to Blastcap Rocketry?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How high can this be used? Looking to do 30k and planned on this method. Any advise on this method other than tight packing and ground testing?

100K' or higher? I don't think anyone has hit the upper limit yet, AFAIK. Fold the tubing over and use two zip ties on each end as tight as you can get them.

If you are after a very similar to what Gary offered, similar in materials used and design. Then look at MAC performance rocketry's aluminum deployment canisters https://shop.macperformancerocketry.com/collections/aluminum-deployment-charge-canisters

Those looked good - ordered two pair for the two rockets I'm currently working on. :)

I've used Gary's Blast Caps for years and loved them, so it will be nice to have something similar until he (hopefully) gets back in business.

EDIT: I placed the order at MAC performance and a few hours later I got a shipping notice. Very impressed - things I like to see from a company, especially after placing my first order. That was one of the things I liked about Gary, he always shipped the blast caps immediately. I'm a pretty prolific rocket builder, and most of my rockets run dual alts, so I used four blast caps per rocket. I would order eight pairs at a time, I still have a pair left that I'll be using soon.

Last edited:
I have used these aluminum keychain pill holders from Rite Aid at $4 each. Worked well in ground testing. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471631978.872219.jpg

I have used these aluminum keychain pill holders from Rite Aid at $4 each. Worked well in ground testing. View attachment 299327

Well, just went "all in" here and ordered 40 pcs from a US eBay seller. I went with him/her because the overall size was smaller than the typical sizing you find offered and the product still had a flat surface on the bottom (most offerings on eBay have round bottoms). Price was fabulous, but really don't want to share source yet until I get them in and test them. If they work out, by my calculations, this option will be cheaper and lighter than my normal use of copper pipe.

Last edited:
I have used these aluminum keychain pill holders from Rite Aid at $4 each. Worked well in ground testing. View attachment 299327

Brilliant solution.

Well, just went "all in" here and ordered 40 pcs from a US eBay seller. I went with him/her because the overall size was smaller than the typical sizing you find offered and the product still had a flat surface on the bottom (most offerings on eBay have round bottoms). Price was fabulous, but really don't want to share source yet until I get them in and test them. If they work out, by my calculations, this option will be cheaper and lighter than my normal use of copper pipe.

If they work out, I hope you'll share the particulars.

They worked fine in ground testing. Since they are directed charges, they should continue to hold up fine. Hope things work out well for you. I have access to a friend's lathe and have turned some aluminum and also some Deleon charge canisters, but with the price of these, it isn't really worth the time for me to make any. Hope they work well for you.

CWBullet, That's even a better price! Crossfire, the ones I have would likely hold up to 5-6 without a problem. I used 2.8 and 3.5 and packed some dog barf on top to keep them slightly compressed. Worked well.

Trey

I had the blast cap wells on all my duel deploy rockets. They were easy to clean, easy to install and easy to load with BP. Yes they were nice and a great product. I'm sorry to see Gary gave up the blast cap business and I do understand why he did. Would Gary reconsider opening up the business again?

Back