Checklist?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

321_BlastOff

Reaction score
As many of you know I have been working hard to get my first HPR ready for Launch and would like to see some of your guys checklist. What did you use on your first launch? I understand that I will need to make a checklist for my own rocket to make sure I don't miss any steps but I don't want to leave anything out that I might have missed. What are some of the must do's and don'ts? I'm going to attend my first HPR launch this Sat at Snow Ranch so I will definitely be watching.

This is my packing list.

• Tripoli binder with membership card, cert paperwork, safety guidelines, pre-flight checklists and design printouts from OpenRocket for my entire fleet and thrust curves for all the motors I have in stock
  • Screwdrivers (flat/phillips/torx, medium and micro depending on what your rockets have)
  • Allen wrench set
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Jewlers pliers (straight and 90º)
  • Crescent Wrench (The metric one comes in handy more so than SAE)
  • Wire cutters
  • Assorted Nuts/Bolts/Screws
  • Pencil
  • Pen
  • Sharpie (extra fine and fine)
  • Blue tape
  • Scotch tape
  • Electrical tape
  • Blue paper shop towels
  • unscented baby wipes
  • Super Lube
  • 6" metal ruler
  • Tape measure
  • Hot Glue and Gun

Motor/Casing transport container:

• Casings/Closures
  • Reloads
  • Igniters/e-matches
  • ejection charge canisters
  • BP
  • Delay Adjustment Tools
  • Shear Pins
  • Dog Barf
  • Red mechanics shop towels
  • Parachutes
  • Extra shock cord
  • Extra swivels/quick connects
  • Launch controller (in case my son wants to push the button...)

Other supplies I bring:

• Epoxy
  • CA
  • Small paper cups, stirring/spreading sticks, and syringe for epoxy mixing and application
  • One sheet each of 80, 150, 220, 320, 400, and 600 grit sandpapers
  • My own launch pad (in case my son wants to push the button...)

Electronics:

• Inverter for car
  • Laptop
  • Tablet
  • Phone
  • Keychain Camera
  • Pad Camera
  • Chargers for everything
  • GPS
  • Altimeters
  • Battery
  • Battery Charger

Creature comforts:

• Ice chest stocked full of plenty of water, gatorade, etc
  • Snacks
  • Folding chairs
  • EZ•Up
  • Folding table
  • Sunscreen (may be optional where you launch)
  • Hat
  • Jacket/Windbreaker if it's cool

This is my pre-flight checklist for a single stage rocket with a single altimeter.
Pre-Flight ChecklistAt the prep table

• Run Simulation on Openrocket using current weather conditions.
  • Make sure motor mount is secured with no loose parts.
  • Examine shock cord or recovery harness. There should be no dry rot, no frayed or burnt fibers.
  • Check screw eye or plastic loop on nose cone. It should be securely attached.
  • Check eyebolts and/or quick-links if present. They should be securely attached.
  • Tighten down avionics bay nuts if present.
  • Tug on both ends of the shock cord or recovery harness. It should be firmly attached.
  • Select a recovery device that is appropriate for rocket's size and weight.
  • Examine recovery device. Shroud lines should be of equal length, firmly attached and not tangled.
  • Parachute or streamer should be strong with no rips or tears.
  • Parachute or streamer must be firmly attached to recovery harness, nose cone and/or body tube.
  • Nose cone should fit snug, not too loose or too tight.
  • Friction Fit, or shear pin if necessary.
  • Make sure fins are aligned properly.
  • Try to wiggle fins to make sure fillets do not have any cracks and fins are securely attached.
  • Make sure launch lugs/rail guides are properly aligned and securely attached to rocket.
  • Make sure body tube is not kinked or warped.
  • Make sure electronics are wired properly with drogue terminals and main terminals connected to proper device.
  • Test Battery voltage. If not full, find a new battery.
  • Confirm appropriate ejection charge(s) are used based on cavity size.
  • Connect charges to altimeter.
  • Make sure flameproof wadding/nomex blanket is installed
  • Recovery system should be folded loosely.
  • Install recovery system into rocket. It should slide out easily.
  • Make sure shear pins, if used, are installed and properly sized for rocket size and charge size.
  • Attach camera, make sure it is secure.
  • Assemble reloadable motor per reload instructions.
  • Make sure delay grain is appropriate for rocket. Make sure ejection charge is loaded in reload casing, if used.
  • Install and secure motor in rocket. Tape igniter to side of rocket.
  • Present rocket to the Range Safety Officer (RSO) for flight approval. Indicate your rocket’s center of pressure (CP) location to the RSO.

At the pad

• Lower rail.
  • Load rocket onto rail, and raise back to vertical. Ensure the pad has locked.
  • Warn bystanders before arming electronics. Apply Safety Glasses.
  • Arm electronics. Verify electronics has ejection charge(s) continuity. (3 beeps for drogue and main, 2 beeps for main only, 1 for drogue only, and long beeps for no charges connected).
  • Install igniter and make sure it is touches propellant.
  • Make sure igniter holder is installed properly.
  • Make sure launch system is disabled then connect leads to igniter.
  • Turn on Keychain Camera
  • Turn on Pad Camera

Last edited:
I need to get better at a checklist of items to bring, I made one two years ago then promptly lost it, this year I drove 7 hours to XPRS only to realize ~90% of the way there that I left my best camera at home (I had my old camera but it meant I got worse videos & stills as it had much less zoom), and I thought I had also left all of my LiPos at home but it turned out they were in a different case that did come along (that was a relief), then at October Skies I didn't bring any black powder, at least that was something I could bum off another flyer (I'd say thanks again here but I'm pretty sure he's not on this forum). Most of my rocketry stuff remains in boxes that just get loaded in (provided nothing gets out of those boxes without getting put back), but there are some loose items that are a higher risk of getting left behind. I even wound up duplicating several tools so that I could keep a "rocketry tool box" without having to constantly move things around.

As far as a pre-flight checklist goes, I'm much more anal there after a few early flight screw-ups (turning on the Mobius on the rail only to find that the SD card was back at camp, forgetting to arm my AltimeterTwo/Three, even failing to arm the TRS properly the first two times I flew it, thankfully it wasn't doing deployment only logging), I have a Word document where I keep my personal "flight cards", for my own record as well as helping to fill out the club-specific ones. I print a bunch of blanks, fill them out at or before the launch, and when I get home I type in the fields in new pages of that Word document. The last two pages are a blank flight sheet as well as a checklist, so I print multiple copies of this duplexed to fill out by hand, afterwards I print the typed-version and hole-punch it and add it to my Tripoli binder (the blanks live in here as well). I'm attaching the 2-sided PDF and an example of one I filled-out (my most recent flight). I can upload the blank Word "source" if anybody wants it.

In fact I'm really glad you brought up this topic, there are some things I should update on my checklist before Saturday! :)

View attachment Rocket Flight Sheet-Example.pdf

View attachment Rocket Flight Sheet-Blank-20151202.pdf

I think a check list is good, but most importantly bring your brain!!! :lol::lol::lol: If you have no brain then well....it only gets worse. You want to keep your brain engaged. Don't bring it in a velvet box

I'd say your first checklist really depends on what you're planning on flying for your first foray into HPR. Are you doing DD or using any electronics?

For me, the most common ones (which means most often likely to forget/miss) aside from the normal supplies and usual checks are:

Basic/prep area:

-Bring a pen in your pocket for forms, etc.
-Bring money for spending at the on-site vendors
-Make sure to assemble reloads correctly. I prefer to do it at home the night before so I don't get distracted at the field.
-Prepare & test electronics, make sure batts are charged
-Close all quick links! I've forgotten once and was lucky it didn't separate.
-Add dog barf/include nomex/etc. I've heard enough cases of someone forgetting to do this and almost forgot once.
-Check that rocket separates well. Weather and temperature can suddenly make the rocket bind and that can mean a lawn dart. One of the most meticulous rocketeers I know had a lawn dart recently when he thought his much flown rocket was a bit stiff separating, but flew anyway.
-Make sure to add in ejection powder if that is a separate step. I've heard of cases where this was forgotten
-Any special rocket notes to remember? (Such as some odd-rocs need to be only 12-16" down from the rod.) Try writing them on the back of the flight card and check it before you go.

Specific/ready to launch:
-Bring along your igniter! Tape it to the side of the rocket and bring one or two extra in a small case in your pocket. I've forgotten a few times and have also given an igniter out of my pocket to someone else who forgot at the pad. Taping to the side of the rocket is good since if you forget the little plastic thingy to hold the igniter in place, you can use the tape rather than running back to your prep area looking for said small plastic thingy.
-Bring your flight card (filled out)
-Bring your camera to catch the first time...better yet, ask your partner/friend to record. Video is highly recommended since it can help with rocket location if it lands far away. Always pose next to the rocket before launching since it may be the last time you see it.
-(Despite my last comment...) Think positive and have fun! :grin:

Last edited:
I always walk to the pad with six things in my pockets:

1. A level - used for checking the alignment of the rail
  2. An A clip - used to stop the rocket high on the rail so I can get the igniter in
  3. Masking tape - just in case the igniter won't stay in, or if I need to tape the igniter wires to the alligator clips
  4. The igniter - already skinned; also, I insert it into the motor beforehand and mark with a Sharpie a line where the max insertion point is
  5. A screwdriver - for turning on the altimeter
  6. The flight card - duh!

Depending on the complexity of the rocket, what I bring to the pad changes. For a single stage HPR with a single motor, I bring:

Masking tape (i just throw it on my arm. Other people always end up needing some.)
Pad Cam (now a Go-Pro)
The Rocket
a screwdriver (for poking)
A c-clamp (for standoff)
A pad buddy for bigger rockets (generally my mentor due to TMP rules)
Walkie talkie in case i forget something at the table
Extra igniter

If you're bringing epoxy, it's a good idea to also bring some rubber gloves. Epoxy sensitization is a nasty thing.

btw - Don't forget the rocket! :wink:

You know, you have to wonder if anyone has ever actually forgotten their rocket. Knowing people in the world today, I'm betting someone, somewhere, has forgotten theirs.

A helpful item I forgot to mention are work gloves. Great for dirty rails as well as using for extra grip and power on over-tightened rail/rod parts. Pliers are also good for the latter, but I find carrying gloves easier and they're also good for disassembling used rms cases.

I did away with my check list after about a year. Now I just take everything.

I can not take the least little bit of disorganization. I like things neat and tidy so I like to organize my stuff where it fits inside a small Action Packer. I have a two totes and a small slight box along with my tracker and some wet wipes. If I can't get it in my Action Packer, I don't take it. I also look over my stuff each launch and if I come across something I have not used in a while or wonder why it's there, I take it out.

I use the same philosophy when I camp. I fall into the less is more camp.

I have a big tool box with most of my rocket stuff. On the tool box I have a wide piece of masking tape where I have a list written with Sharpie of all the other stuff I want that doesn't fit in the tool box. At the top of the list is a 5 gallon bucket.... much of the list below that bucket gets put in the bucket. The larger stuff on the list (portable table ,chairs, awning, etc go directly in the car as I read down the list).

I test flew my L1 rocket with a mid-power motor the week before. What I did was to write down what I brought to that test launch. It's always a good idea anyway to 'work your way up' with motor impulse to test your rocket, so that's a good time to compile your own checklist.

Probably doesn't need to be said, but bring your smart phone if you have one. You can use it to hold your checklist, look up motors for your rockets, check your rocket log, take pictures and take video as well. :) (Now if they would make a Rocksim app!)

At my last launch, the club I was visiting (first visit) asked for expected altitude. I wasn't sure about the rocket, so I quickly looked it up on the Aerotech Catalog and found the expected altitude for the motor I was using. Really handy.

Back