IQSY Tomahawk history and pictures

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
When I look for IQSY Tomahawk information all I ever find is kits and other hobby rockets, and sometimes blueprints.

Anyone have a real history or color photograph of the genuine article? Digging deeper I found a paragraph about how it never made flights in time for IQSY events and was used primarily as a sustainer on top of Nike boosters, but that is about it. No color photographs, either.

Wow, I am definitely surprised at the lack of information. Maybe I should try to collect all the tidbits I find here.

I have a PDF copy of Model Rocket News from 1971 with the D-region but no joy so far on the IQSY Tomahawk.

Ah, those help a lot. Thanks!

I will still try to aggregate what else I find here. That text from timbucktoo and JAL3 sounds exactly like what I had read before -
The Tomahawk, based on the Thiokol TE-416 Motor, was designed by the Sandia Corp. as a small sounding rockets in the International Quiet Sun Year (IQSY) in 1963. Initial tests from Tonopah, Nevada and Point Mugu, California failed. The fourth launch from Wallops Island was a success, but it was not used in the IQSY experiments. NASA used another Version, the D-Region Tomahawk in 1968, but little further use of it was made.

Although it lacked success as a single stage sounding rocket, it was highly successful as the second stage on Nike, Terrier, Taurus (Honest John), Ute, Paiute and Sandhawk boosters. Several hundred of these configurations were launched.

Back