North Texas High Power Launches-NAR/Tripoli

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just arrived back from a few days in Orlando. Can't make it on Saturday but looks to be a good time. To those that have ordered anything from me, I'm on it. If we haven't already scheduled an 'exchange' then just ping me.

Stoked for tomorrow! Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the motor vendor out at the site will be selling e-matches for DD? like some Q2G2's or something? I just noticed I was running low when I started packing everything up.

Stoked for tomorrow! Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the motor vendor out at the site will be selling e-matches for DD? like some Q2G2's or something? I just noticed I was running low when I started packing everything up.
I know pyrobob won't be there tomorrow. I have a bunch of e-matches if you need a few.

Ypu are welcome to some of my ematches as well. Also, remind me I have those parachutes I promised you months ago.

Wow thanks guys! Well it's sad but a short notice issue came up and it turns out I'm not going to be able to make the launch... A little sad I can't make it... Thanks guys for offering up your stuff for me anyways!

Weather's looking good guys and I totally wish I could make it. Count me in for the Corsicana DARS launch in a few weeks. Happy flying and get some video if you can!

Can't wait for the launch packing the car rn. The weather looks good but should be windy definitely using DD or chute realese on all my launches. I'm taking my GoPro and my cannon I also have a few keychain cameras I've been wanting to try out should def get a lot of great pics.

Wish I could go, I live in Central Texas, and I'd have to drive for a few hours to get there, and it's just not worth it because I have no rockets to launch. Wish the best of luck to all the flyers, make sure to bring back plenty of pictures!

It went great got a lot of pics I'll get them posted late tonight prob. Winds started picking up at like 1 I walked 9 miles retrieving rockets!!!! I got a 100 on my TMP test then launched a few J motors from Buyrocketmotors.

The up parts were all awesome. Some of the down parts ended with a bit more kinetic energy imparted to the ground than desired. One rocket was recovered by shovel...Eggfinders are amazing, last packet took me right to the burial site...Rest in (many) pieces Eggfinder.

Last edited:
Not the Arapaho!

No, the 38 MD rocket, Aram. The Arapahoe had it's own (not fatal) problem...The freakin (not the word I used at the time) altimeter never detected liftoff, despite having plenty of vent holes (this is still most likely my fault, I'll explain later). Mercifully I decided to leave the motor backup in (which I almost never do), I oversized the drogue, and it landed on top of a fresh furrow. Perfect set of circumstances to come out with no more than normal paint damage from a flight.

Anyhow, happier posts to follow once the GoPro gets downloaded.

No, the 38 MD rocket, Aram. The Arapahoe had it's own (not fatal) problem...The freakin (not the word I used at the time) altimeter never detected liftoff, despite having plenty of vent holes (this is still most likely my fault, I'll explain later). Mercifully I decided to leave the motor backup in (which I almost never do), I oversized the drogue, and it landed on top of a fresh furrow. Perfect set of circumstances to come out with no more than normal paint damage from a flight.

Anyhow, happier posts to follow once the GoPro gets downloaded.

homer-doh.jpg

I tried to delete this one because the video would only show as a link and not embed, but it won't let me delete. Oh well...

Last edited:
Yep, I had my problems with the down part today, but the up parts were exquisite.

A great all around launch...plenty of flights (but not too busy), good variety of motors (MMX-M), friendly people, a great field, and Kolachies in West on the way...Marlin just puts on a first rate enjoyable launch, no doubt.

[video]https://youtu.be/gFtn3qOTUVs[/video]

Dang I wish I could have made it! Sad my schedule made a sudden (and kinda boring) change making me not make it. Sorry Chris if I left you hanging... I really would have liked to make it.

Dang I wish I could have made it! Sad my schedule made a sudden (and kinda boring) change making me not make it. Sorry Chris if I left you hanging... I really would have liked to make it.

No, not at all, sorry you couldn't make it. I was going either way though. Also, I still have those chutes. They will live in my range box, so remind me when you see me next.

The Arapahoe had it's own (not fatal) problem...The freakin (not the word I used at the time) altimeter never detected liftoff, despite having plenty of vent holes (this is still most likely my fault, I'll explain later).

Saw your other video post. That was a nice looking Arapahoe! What happened?

Saw your other video post. That was a nice looking Arapahoe! What happened?

The altimeter never detected liftoff, when I got to it it was still beeping out continuity on all channels. That altimeter had a hard landing on its last flight, about 50 fps under drogue. Everything beeped out ok, and I "think" I pressure tested it, but I'm honestly not possitive. This flight would tend to be evidence that I didn't. Mercifully I left the motor charge in, and that got the drogue out.

What altitude did you get out of the Arapaho J and K550W? That was a pretty big grunt it gave at liftoff.

I was only supposed to go and hand Marlin some forms and over stayed that by a little but I still didn't take a single picture so if any of you will send me some of yours I will put them up for Marlin and credit you. Thanks to those who helped out. This is for Jacob,--- When Marlin was your age the Waco paper did a full page story on his interest in rocketry and he was also the number one suspect in the theft of aluminum lawn furniture that wound up cut into short lengths of thin wall tubing. A smart sheriff would have made the connection, it was a different era.

What altitude did you get out of the Arapaho J and K550W? That was a pretty big grunt it gave at liftoff.

At first I though 7777' based on the altimeter beeps, but then I realized it didn't detect liftoff and was just beeping continuity. In other words I have no idea. Simmed to about 6500, but the motor charge went a few seconds before apogee, so lets call it 6k.

I do love those 54mm whites. The noise is just great, just "sounds" like a rocket.

Whoa, that looks cooler than I though. Towers for me have been unobtanium so far. One day, one day.

I am looking pretty good for making it to Corsicana on the 27th.

As soon as I get through this crunch at work, I can finish the repairs to my venerable old "Aquila" that zippered on the early ejection form the I140 down at ASA. When it ejected at 1-2 seconds after burnout, it opened so hard that it ripped off the foam and rubber anti zipper device that was on the shock cord anchor and zippered most of the fin can tube. The original fin can tube is cut down and ready for splicing on the new 4" airframe tubing that just arrived.

Lol Marlin was a smart kid now I just need to find some lawn furniture. I can't get the pics posted on rocketryforum but I posted them on the HOTROCS Facebook page I can also email it to anybody so contact me if you want the pics emailed. Hopefully we can get one more launch in at ASA before the crops get planted. Next time I need to shoot less rockets and more pics I'm exhausted from yesterday too much walking. It looks good for the DARS launch in Corsicana the 27th hope it doesn't rain.

Back