North Texas High Power Launches-NAR/Tripoli

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not Airfest, but maybe the OK launch. Son going back to school, Labor Day weekend, etc., probably won't be in the cards for me for a while.

I won't be at High Frontiers this year, but can heartily recommend going. If possible, try not to land in the field to the east of the airport. Recovery from there can be less than pleasant.

Anyone else from DFW going to High Frontier in Oklahoma??? If you missed Airfest this is another great launch, 2 weeks away!

https://www.tulsarocketry.org/high-frontier-13/
Headed to BALLS that weekend with several other TNT flyers and lots of other Texas folks. A bit longer drive than High Frontier but a great experience. Going small this year - 38mm and 54mm MD, including a flight on the new Loki 38mm K627. Plus a couple of flights on my 54mm Mongoose that should get near 25K'. One of them will be my second flight of the CTI L265 - a 10 second long burn motor that is really great to fly. Another member is flying a P motor rocket that is a work of art. And of course Jim Jarvis' flights are always exiting as he goes for those extreme altitudes with his 2 and 3 stage rockets.

But I would like to fly at Pawhuska one of these days. Always good to get out and see a new field.

Tony

Headed to BALLS that weekend with several other TNT flyers and lots of other Texas folks. A bit longer drive than High Frontier but a great experience. Going small this year - 38mm and 54mm MD, including a flight on the new Loki 38mm K627. Plus a couple of flights on my 54mm Mongoose that should get near 25K'. One of them will be my second flight of the CTI L265 - a 10 second long burn motor that is really great to fly. Another member is flying a P motor rocket that is a work of art. And of course Jim Jarvis' flights are always exiting as he goes for those extreme altitudes with his 2 and 3 stage rockets.

But I would like to fly at Pawhuska one of these days. Always good to get out and see a new field.

Tony

Have a good trip out to BALLS again this year Tony, I'll make it sooner or later. I'd like to see that Loki 38mm K627 in action one of these days in my 38 MD, one awesome motor. I saw Ken and Paul at Airfest and I know Ken is going, he was talking about another MD P flight he has planned...you guys are crazy! (in a good way) I hope you get em all back and take lots of pic.

Have a good trip out to BALLS again this year Tony, I'll make it sooner or later. I'd like to see that Loki 38mm K627 in action one of these days in my 38 MD, one awesome motor. I saw Ken and Paul at Airfest and I know Ken is going, he was talking about another MD P flight he has planned...you guys are crazy! (in a good way) I hope you get em all back and take lots of pic.

Yes, lots of pictures please!

DARS is hosting a HP launch this Saturday in Prairie Hill.

In order for us to have the appropriate pads set up, please notify a DARS officer of any planned high power flights. Since this is our first HP launch at this site, if you don’t provide prior notification, you may not be allowed to fly.

Launch Details:
Date: Saturday, 9-17-2016
Time: 9 am setup, 10am – 5 pm Launch hours
Location: Prairie Hill High Power Field – Follow this link for directions
Altitude Limit: 10,000 ft AGL
Pads Available: Model Rocket, Mid Power, and High Power (Please let us know in advance if you plan on flying high power)
Certification: NAR or Tripoli - All high power flyers must show a current NAR or TRA membership card to prove certification level - no exceptions.
Flight Prep: All high power rockets and flight plans will be reviewed by the RSO before pad assignment to ensure compliance. If you are planning a flight that will be close to our waiver, be prepared to answer many questions or provide a simulation.
Registration/Range Fees: FREE Under 18 modroc/sport
$5 Adult modroc/sport
$20 High-Power (non DARS member)
$10 High-Power DARS member
Bathroom Facilities: There is a bathroom on site.
Food/Beverages: I don’t have details on this yet. It is best to bring your own.
Flight Cards: to speed up range operations please bring your flight cards already filled out to the field.

Last edited:
Are Skids, Sparkies and Metalstorms OK? I have one loaded up from the spring I didn't get a chance to fly. It's an H170M and I'd like to fly it in a 4" rocket to about 1,600ft. Cool?

Are Skids, Sparkies and Metalstorms OK? I have one loaded up from the spring I didn't get a chance to fly. It's an H170M and I'd like to fly it in a 4" rocket to about 1,600ft. Cool?
Grouch, we are going "no sparkies" for the first launch on this new field, we don't want to make a bad first impression by starting even a little fire or having them think we are launching fireworks or whatever:p Once we seal the deal with the property manager and he is comfortable with us being on the property, I don't see any reason that we can't launch them in the future, I have a few myself I need to put up...can you hold onto that H170M until October?

As an alternate, Asa is a great place for sparkies. That field should be open in October.

Last edited:
Yea, I can hold off on it. The poor thing has been loaded all summer long. I knew better that asking, I'm just chomping at the bits to fly. It's been a very long time!

Well the High Frontier launch in Pawhuska is a wash, rain in the forecast all weekend so I am going to pass. Looking forward to Asa now more than ever.

Just a quick announcement -

DARS will be hosting a HP launch at the Prairie Hill site on October 29. Range hours - 10-4, 10k ceiling, M impulse limit - please notify an officer of any flights K and larger.

Formal announcement will follow after vendor and trailer arrangements are finalized.

October Sky Launch
Saturday, October 15th​
9:00 AM-5:30 PM​
This is a Tripoli sanctioned launch. All Tripoli​
rules apply. Please bring Tripoli-NAR membership​
cards and present your card at registration.​
No one under 18 years old near High Power pads​
unsupervised by Level 2 Flyer.​
Waiver to 11,000 ft. with Call-ins to 18,000 ft.​
Launch Fees, 1 Day $15.00​
Port-O-Jon will be provided (donations accepted)​
Remember: This is a working farm, large trucks &​
equipment use the road, road must be kept clear​
All children must be supervised at all times​
Please keep all pets on leash​
It would be much appreciated if everyone would pick​
up any trash or anything that doesn't belong on field​
Marlin Philyaw​
TRA# 2329 - L 3​
Prefect​
Triopli Waco #012​

Cool. After a significant dry spell, there will be two high power launches within very easy driving distance of DFW.........in the same month.

Back