Easy Mega Staging Setup - Balls 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kip_Daugirdas

Reaction score
Back from Black Rock and reviewing flight data.
I built a two stage rocket to fly to 130k feet but the sustainer did not light despite meeting all criteria on both Altus Metrums.
Both computers had continuity and full voltage available to the motor pyro channels (channel A) throughout the flight and I tested the battery e-match configuration multiple times. I was also using separate pyro batteries for the flight. This leads me to believe it was a programming issue and not hardware. This was also my first time flying the Easy. All other channels fired and the rocket was recovered.

Below is a screen grab of my ignition criteria. Please take a look and help me out for my next flight!
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1443542368.764597.jpg

My thought is that the "flight state before" and "after" might be the culprit. Should have I not selected those!?

My thought is that the "flight state before" and "after" might be the culprit. Should have I not selected those!?

Yup. You should have just used 'After Motor Number' and selected '1'. Selecting 'flight state before Fast' means that the motor ignition was inhibited because you were in state 'fast' or 'coast' after burnout.

We spent a while brainstorming at Airfest over Labor day and I think the best idea we came up with was to add a menu of 'normal' configurations that would pre-set the usual options for various uses of the extra pyro channels. That and a bit of memory for the 'tilt angle' setting so that a rapidly rotating airframe wouldn't accidentally hit the right tilt angle just as the test was made. Right now, the tilt angle is checked during the 'delay after other conditions' phase, but if you set that to zero, then it doesn't check the angle more than once.

A 'normal' sustainer ignition setting for a two stage flight should be 'after motor number 1', 'tilt angle less than 20' and 'delay after other conditions 2' -- that'll light the motor two seconds after the booster burns out. You could use a longer coast if you want to go higher, but of course that might mean tilting over too far.

This question came up looking at Jim's configuration. If you have an altitude check and also a "delay after other conditions" check selected - Does it wait to start the delay after the rocket exceeds the altitude value?

If so, is there a way to make it wait for the delay number of seconds after burn out and then check the altitude to verify that the rocket is high enough (e.g. it did not weathercock/lay over during the delay) before lighting the next stage?

Wow am I _______ angry at myself then... Those settings didn't make any sense to me and I should've deselected them. T-minus 363 days.... Thanks for the help guys

This question came up looking at Jim's configuration. If you have an altitude check and also a "delay after other conditions" check selected - Does it wait to start the delay after the rocket exceeds the altitude value?

If so, is there a way to make it wait for the delay number of seconds after burn out and then check the altitude to verify that the rocket is high enough (e.g. it did not weathercock/lay over during the delay) before lighting the next stage?

Yes, once all of the conditions are satisfied, then the timer starts. While the timer runs, it's constantly re-checking the conditions, and if one goes false, then it aborts the firing. If the timer expires without any condition going false, then the channel fires.

Yup. You should have just used 'After Motor Number' and selected '1'. Selecting 'flight state before Fast' means that the motor ignition was inhibited because you were in state 'fast' or 'coast' after burnout.

We spent a while brainstorming at Airfest over Labor day and I think the best idea we came up with was to add a menu of 'normal' configurations that would pre-set the usual options for various uses of the extra pyro channels. That and a bit of memory for the 'tilt angle' setting so that a rapidly rotating airframe wouldn't accidentally hit the right tilt angle just as the test was made. Right now, the tilt angle is checked during the 'delay after other conditions' phase, but if you set that to zero, then it doesn't check the angle more than once.

A 'normal' sustainer ignition setting for a two stage flight should be 'after motor number 1', 'tilt angle less than 20' and 'delay after other conditions 2' -- that'll light the motor two seconds after the booster burns out. You could use a longer coast if you want to go higher, but of course that might mean tilting over too far.

I don't think a normal menu is super necessary. Instead some explicit examples in the documentation would help for common flight scenarios.

I don't think a normal menu is super necessary. Instead some explicit examples in the documentation would help for common flight scenarios.

The menu would be mostly like built-in documentation, but, yes, having the documentation include explicit examples would also be needed.

Back