Sneak Peak: Jolly Logic's Easy Dual Deployment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just posted a question that would be a determining factor on how useful it would be for me. I love my JL2!

Dear Santa,

I've been a good boy in 2015.

Can I pleases get a Jolly Logic Chute Release for Christmas?

Your friend,
Bunny

With the winds we had today at Bong many of us could have used this device today. Will be a great seller for all types of rockets.

Here's some questions... For the high altitude balloon crowd (I might want to attempt one of these someday).

How long is the battery life/charge life of the unit. Helium balloons can take some time getting up there.

How well will it handle temperature extremes? Again, it may be up in some thin air for some time.

Unrelated question... How long does it take to recharge the unit?

Thanks!

I begin to think that John could pull an Apple. Tell someone to post something somewhere that he will have a new product. Folks will line up and talk it up whether or not anything exists. We will be on line CC in hand to buy it, whether or not we need it.

Well done Steve....errrr....John

Here's some questions... For the high altitude balloon crowd (I might want to attempt one of these someday).

How long is the battery life/charge life of the unit. Helium balloons can take some time getting up there.

How well will it handle temperature extremes? Again, it may be up in some thin air for some time.

Thanks!

I haven't done run-down power testing yet, so I only have the spec-sheet-based battery life figures to go by. That means that I have calculated how long it is *supposed* to be able to run between charges, but not what it *actually* does. The difference being a number of parasitic current drains that are caused by the circuit that I designed. Right now the calculations say that it can sit running for 20 days. So I would think (even after this number changes in testing) that it would be long enough for a balloon flight.

In terms of temperature, the performance of the battery is rated for -20°C-60°C (-4°F-140°F). If you have access to a freezer or weather colder than this, you can test. The atmosphere is coldest at at about 40K feet (it's colder there than at 100K, and you'd expect -70°F. If it were me, I'd wrap it in insulation, or maybe even rig up a chemical or electrical "hand warmer" around it.

It takes about an hour to recharge it.

I haven't done run-down power testing yet, so I only have the spec-sheet-based battery life figures to go by. That means that I have calculated how long it is *supposed* to be able to run between charges, but not what it *actually* does. The difference being a number of parasitic current drains that are caused by the circuit that I designed. Right now the calculations say that it can sit running for 20 days. So I would think (even after this number changes in testing) that it would be long enough for a balloon flight.

In terms of temperature, the performance of the battery is rated for -20°C-60°C (-4°F-140°F). If you have access to a freezer or weather colder than this, you can test. The atmosphere is coldest at at about 40K feet (it's colder there than at 100K, and you'd expect -70°F. If it were me, I'd wrap it in insulation, or maybe even rig up a chemical or electrical "hand warmer" around it.

It takes about an hour to recharge it.

Thanks for the info! BTW, I bet that if you put some info out the ballooning crowd, you'll pick up some sales from them too.

Thanks!
Helium weather balloon flights are very simple and typically last less than 3 hours. The balloons reach apogee sometime around 90 minutes and the balloon bursts and release their payload which is suspended from the balloon by their parachute. No electronics is required for deployment.

Bob

Helium weather balloon flights are very simple and typically last less than 3 hours. The balloons reach apogee sometime around 90 minutes and the balloon bursts and release their payload which is suspended from the balloon by their parachute. No electronics is required for deployment.

Bob

Still I'd want the package to fall under drogue and then deploy a main at a reasonable altitude if I don't want to chase the thing over to Montana, or down to Mexico, or up to Canada, should it hit the jet stream.

Back