Featherweight Magnetic Switches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozwald

Reaction score
Anyone on the forum have any comments on the Featherweight Magnetic Switches? What is the preferred method for attaching the In/Out wiring? Any tips or need to know items? Thanks

Love them, no problems at all. I soldered JST connectors onto the tiny holes, and I mount it witha single screw through one hole.

Last edited:
I just bought one, but haven't used it yet. Looks like you can just wire wrap the mounting screws.

I just installed one in my 2.6" Archer, I soldered mine and used Teflon screws to secure it to posts on the sled.

IMG_2162.JPG

It just clears the inside of the coupler and the extra strength magnet I got with it works great. I'll have it at the Sod Farm this month (Sunday the 20th) and will report back on how well it works.

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks Dave. That is just the info I was looking for. Are you using the stock (free) magnet and are you finding that the range to activate is more than the stated 1"?

The range of the free magnet is right about 1", maybe a touch more, but not much.

Wow. Thanks Dave. That is just the info I was looking for. Are you using the stock (free) magnet and are you finding that the range to activate is more than the stated 1"?

Oz, works right about within the 1" range using the stock one, but I got the stronger one too, works from about 1 1/2 -2.

The furthest distance I have used the bigger magnet is about 2" though double walled FW/FG. It may work further but that is the furthest I have mine mounted. I have used them up to Mach 1.87 without any issues, however I soldered my terminals on to give me a bit more comfort. One note of caution, make sure you remove your wallet/credit cards from your pocket in the field when using the magnet...I have wiped 3 cards so far :facepalm:

The furthest distance I have used the bigger magnet is about 2" though double walled FW/FG. It may work further but that is the furthest I have mine mounted. I have used them up to Mach 1.87 without any issues, however I soldered my terminals on to give me a bit more comfort. One note of caution, make sure you remove your wallet/credit cards from your pocket in the field when using the magnet...I have wiped 3 cards so far :facepalm:

Thanks for your feedback. I hadn't though of the magnet vs cards thing. Very good to know

If you are concerned about the mounting distance, it doesn't hurt to get a bigger magnet just in case. On one of my rockets I knew I was near the limit - it would arm, but would not reliably disarm. With a somewhat larger magnet the issue went away.

If you are concerned about the mounting distance, it doesn't hurt to get a bigger magnet just in case. On one of my rockets I knew I was near the limit - it would arm, but would not reliably disarm. With a somewhat larger magnet the issue went away.

Thanks Bill. I'll see how it goes. Have a great weekend. Oz

I want a blue tooth or wifi direct switch that tells my android it is armed

Back