URRG September Family Picnic Launch 9-26-15

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michael if you can't go to a launch at least you have a fantastic reason. ...
You go spend time with the kids and make some memories with them..
You won't get another chance at these years with them...
Cherish these times while they are happening. ...

I still like teasing ya about it though..
We'll miss you for sure..

Teddy

If someone happens to stumble across a white and orange Arreaux somewhere in the carrots, if you could send me a message that would be awesome.

The weather was near perfect!
Not too hot, Not too cold, very slight wisps of wind.
I had 3 flights first of which was a 2 stage with perfect staging ( sorry no pics )
The second was a 7 motor HP cluster; 4 of which lit , one motor casing lost in the filed somewhere :(
The last flight was my 4" Comp 4 to just shy of 7k on a 76 mm x 2 grain L of mine.
I have some pics of the L and a few others just winding down after half unpacked.
I didn't get home till 9:30 tonight.

JD

So how was the flying today? Any pics, videos, stories anything that I can live vicariously through?

Flew my 4" MAC Villain on a 76/4700 which unfortunately came apart at 4300' and 1,107 mph per the Aim Xtra. Recovered the electronics bay and motor case without any harm.

Unsure if the tube failed or a fin was lost. Either way, that thing was cranking when it took the left turn.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1443346808.972136.jpg

Also flew my 3" MAC Arcas on my 54/5G moon burn motor. It burned for a long time and had a surprising amount of kick off the pad. Apogee was at 11,179 at 829 mph. I was walking back to my car to check the GPS coordinates and as I turned around to ask my wife a question I saw the main chute as it hit the field. recovered 1500' away in the field!

PERFECT day! The winds were some of the best I've ever experienced in Potter!

Last edited:
It really was a gorgeous day in Potter..
The weather wouldn't have been any better if you wrote the report yourself...
Lot's turned out,, and a big bunch of Cub Scouts as well that Riley was helping / mentoring...
It's always super cool to see that,, paying forward...
All of you guy's at URRG are just the best,,
you all worked so hard to put this all together..
It was so cool everyone bring out all of the food...
Just a super day,, couldn't have been any better..
Good for you guy's man....

Teddy

Yea, seems like I missed a bunch of fun and good weather. Still had a blast, this Villain flight was one of the most exciting I've had.... I really thought I'd killed it. Nothing like seeing a chute inflate.

It was a beautiful weather weekend and a great launch. I can't remember the last time I was able to fly an M,
oh wait, now I remember. It was at LDRS34 in Potter, NY. Thanks to the URRG Guys!:)

John

It was a fantastic weekend! Sat was beautiful with 99 launches between low and high power! We had a great turnout with the scouts and I really appreciate how well people treated/reacted to the kids. We all know a bunch of kids can be a bit much at a launch, but they had a really good time. Several new families want to join URRG and several new families want to join scouts so it was a win win. The food Sat was amazing, huge thanks to Mike Dutch for putting that together and all who helped and brought food! Teddy came up a day early to help setup with a cheerful smile and a helping hand. You can't ask to be with better people. Huge thanks to our vendors! One Bad Hawk, Performance Hobbies, MAC Performance Rocketry, Upscale CNC. I think that's all of them, sorry if I missed anyone. I'm sure AMW had an awesome time at BALLS, they were missed.

Sunday was freaking windy, but still fun. I didn't have much time but managed to get two DD flights in before I had to go. I finally got my Darkstar mini up in DD mode, somebody slap Tim for making that payload tube only 7" long! :) with a tracker in the nose it was a little tight but I fit an 18" chute, 6x6 nomex, and 15ft of 1/8" kevlar in 4" of 38mm tubing.

Saturday had to be one of the busiest launches this year short of LDRS, at least in terms of number of people onsite. I made six launches, but only photographed a couple. I was a bit anxious to see if my Spray Bomb would fly (which, well, it got into the air before corkscrewing back to earth), so I didn't try to shoot it. But I did make a successful first flight of my PS II Sahara, and flew my 4" Der V-3 on a CTI G125 red lightning, and a couple others that I'm drawing a blank on. But it was a good day - lots of people, lots of launches, good weather, plenty of good food. What more could you want? Sunday was a bit more sparse, partly due (as Dave said) to the wind. I only made 3 flights on account of that. Some pictures:

21599483998_79aa552247_c.jpg

21599308420_dd42d59dfd_c.jpg

21599309950_a8035f852d_c.jpg

21166268263_1572d90f19_c.jpg

21164618394_1c32a31630_c.jpg

21164603174_d150d15e82_c.jpg

21599440958_1f90feb761_c.jpg

21166216753_478a13b758_c.jpg

All pictures are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132724805@N04/albums/72157656893223963/with/21599408058/

Heyyy,,
Really cool pic's Rick,,
You do some beautiful work and got some great pic's too..

Thank you always Riley..
It's always my pleasure to lend a hand whenever I can....

Teddy

Back