Estes Astron II Launch Controller Key Problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estescrayonrocket

Reaction score
So I lost the launch key to my Astron II launch controller. Estes is sending me a new one, but it will take 2-3 weeks. Anyone have any suggestions of what I can use as a temporary launch key?

I've not seen an Astron II, but, if it's like the others, a simple nail would work. Or a piece of cloths hanger wire. Just make sure they are bare metal, with no coatings on them.

If you have to keep pressure on it while launching, just the nail or wire into a wooden bead, ball of tape, or, anything that will protect your thumb.

David

Last edited:
There is nothing magic about the "key". It just presses a leaf to complete the circuit in the controller. A paper clip can do the same thing for you. Just bend one leg out so that it long enough to complete the circuit. A wrap or two of masking tape may make it a little easier to handle. You can verify that it is doing the job that you need by clipping the leads together and running the continuity check.

There is nothing magic about the "key". It just presses a leaf to complete the circuit in the controller. A paper clip can do the same thing for you. Just bend one leg out so that it long enough to complete the circuit. A wrap or two of masking tape may make it a little easier to handle. You can verify that it is doing the job that you need by clipping the leads together and running the continuity check.

This is close but incorrect in one key detail - the key does actually physically complete the circuit - not just "press a leaf". Instead it goes between two leaves and bridges the gap. All the rest of the above is good stuff with the proviso that whatever you use needs to be conductive and large enough in diameter to engage both leaves inside the controller. Most paper clips would be too small. The key is 1/16 inch (or just about 2mm) in diameter. You'll need a piece of wire or brass tubing or some such about that size.

Bernard is 100% correct in his statement. A small finishing nail should work or a piece of music wire cut to length that will fit in the hole in the controller would work just as well. Estes makes the keys self extracting by using a piece of rubber that forces you to press down the safety key to make the electrical connection. The regular black, yellow and soon to be a different color Electron beam has similar contacts that the safety key has to contact to let the power flow through the wires.

John Boren

Next time, try keeping the launch key on a keychain or something similar that you're likely to have on you. Mine has been with me on various keychains since 1974.

My_Keychain[1].jpg

Back