Aerotech discontinuing 24mm hardware ??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyOB

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Please disregard this thread. I asked the same question in the Aerotech Open Thread. The reply from Aerotech was that they were exceedingly behind in the case production, and the other items I pointed out were merely oversights. 24mm is alive and well.
If the forum masters could delete this thread it would be appreciated. My apologies for any angst I may have caused my fellow members.

High gang,
I am a BAR after 40 years away, and have been focusing in the 18/24/29 mm. I have been flying Estes/Quest in 18 and 24, and have an AT 29/40-120.. I prefer these size because of launch site availability, it is either local park or travel an hour one way to get to each of the three clubs near me.

Anyway my question is: What are my choices for 24mm RMS hardware? So far, I have been only able to find CTI/Cesaroni, and possibly US Rockets if/when they get their NAR certification. Wonder how one of their 36" diameter motor costs? :roll:

Any other choices for manufacturers? Any dealers to recommend? I scoped out a couple, but all in Canada and will not ship to USA.

I support Apogee Components a lot, but they are on the rich side for reloads for CTI. While I agree with the argument 'support the dealer who shows up at your launch'; they have been lukewarm about the smaller CTI stuff or CTI in general.

Thanks in advance, and please please please no us versus them arguments. Every Manufacturer/Dealer/etc. has their strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:
Check out some of the venders that post here in TRF. You should have no problem finding AT 24/40 hardware.

18/20 and 24/40 are the primary motors I fly.

Aerotech has made no mention of discontinuing the 24mm hardware, to be exact they are telling us that they are working on some additional loads for the 24/60 which till now has only had one load. Aerotech is somewhat frequently on the forums mostly in the Aerotech Open thread. Your local vendors may not have them but Bob aka pyrobob at https://www.buyrocketmotors.com/ most likely does, he and Balsa Machining are the two online dealers with no hassle, Red Arrow Hobbies has them cheaper if you are willing to wait (up to several months sometimes).

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?125657-AeroTech-Open-Thread

High gang,
I am a BAR after 40 years away, and have been focusing in the 18/24/29 mm. I have been flying Estes/Quest in 18 and 24, and have an AT 29/40-120.. I prefer these size because of launch site availability, it is either local park or travel an hour one way to get to each of the three clubs near me.

Hi,
Where did you hear that AT was discontinuing 24mm?

Aside from others questioning the validity of the original subject line...

I want to note that an alternative is the Econo-max motors AT sells...works well and is reasonably priced (in fact, priced so well that sometimes I wonder if I'm saving much considering the time I take making the reloads). I've gotten it as cheap as $8 an F44 motor (~$16 a two-pack), which is close to the price of the same reload and it has worked splendidly for me the 5 times or so I've used them so far.

Tower (if you're a member, you can get shipped free with $99 order and they have a $15 off $50 deal right now - this link is for the 3 double packs, works out to $10 each after all discounts):
https://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000032577&I=L5EBCM03&P=K
https://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=L5EBCL03&P=ML

Hobbylinc (Currently $19 for two, but you have to pay shipping - they only carry F44-8W right now):
https://www.hobbylinc.com/aerotech-...motor-2-f-composite-model-rocket-engine-64408

Just my 2cents (or some would say "non-cents") - good luck! :)

Aerotech has made no mention of discontinuing the 24mm hardware, to be exact they are telling us that they are working on some additional loads for the 24/60 which till now has only had one load. Aerotech is somewhat frequently on the forums mostly in the Aerotech Open thread. Your local vendors may not have them but Bob aka pyrobob at https://www.buyrocketmotors.com/ most likely does, he and Balsa Machining are the two online dealers with no hassle, Red Arrow Hobbies has them cheaper if you are willing to wait (up to several months sometimes).

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?125657-AeroTech-Open-Thread

Just for the record, I just received an order from RAH in less than a week. No hardware, but a bunch of 18 and 24 mm reloads! If you confirm in advance that everything you want is in stock, you should not have any delay.

Cheers,
Michael

All,
I received a couple of order cancellations from vendors as 'discontinued'. I checked Aerotech's site, and their store only lists closures for this motor, no case.

Also RCS Rocket Motor Componets, Aerotech's parent company no longer lists any 24mm fuel grains, but still lists 18mm grains. Not sure how related this is but I'll bet they are making all of the fuel grains for AT.

I have had open orders at Hobbylinc and Red Arrow for several weeks, listed as either 'back ordered' or 'past due' at Hobbylinc.

I guess my question really is if the hardware is discontinued how long should I be able to get reloads? Do I invest in the hardware if I am not going to be able to get reloads in a year, or reloads at Ferrari prices.

Oh Christ, all we need. Rednecks with flaming trucks! Although I know of a couple of morons that could use their grills melted. (Just kidding). These items will probably be off the market within a year.

Ok, I threw this question into the Aerotech open forum. Let's see if there is a response: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?125657-AeroTech-Open-Thread&p=1486875#post1486875

Thanks for everybody's input.

Last edited:
Oh Christ, all we need. Rednecks with flaming trucks! Although I know of a couple of morons that could use their grills melted. (Just kidding). These items will probably be off the market within a year.

That particular issue is over and done with the Jet Hitch is gone for now. Read on further and the discussion moves away from Jet Hitch and into motors and hobby related stuff.

All,
I received a couple of order cancellations from vendors as 'discontinued'. I checked Aerotech's site, and their store only lists closures for this motor, no case.

Also RCS Rocket Motor Componets, Aerotech's parent company no longer lists any 24mm fuel grains, but still lists 18mm grains. Not sure how related this is but I'll bet they are making all of the fuel grains for AT.

I have had open orders at Hobbylinc and Red Arrow for several weeks, listed as either 'back ordered' or 'past due' at Hobbylinc.

I guess my question really is if the hardware is discontinued how long should I be able to get reloads? Do I invest in the hardware if I am not going to be able to get reloads in a year, or reloads at Ferrari prices.

Let me try to put it this way. There is no indication that either the 24/40 or 24/60 is planned for obsolescence. I encourage you to post your question on the Aerotech Open Thread. ATGM has been willing to openly answer our questions. There has been an issue with hardware availability in general recently, but it is being resolved. That is my understanding, anyway!

Personally, I have no concern at all with reload availability. I recently posted in the Yard Sale section looking for Hobbyline hardware and had worked out a deal within hours. You might want to consider that route also.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I threw this question into the Aerotech open forum. Let's see if there is a response...

Try also posting on this Thread: "AT style hardware" - ATGM wanted to know what AT hardware folks were looking for,

I posted a few weeks ago (#6) that "24/40 rms cases were in short supply and 18mm RMS cases are fairly rare"; however I never got a response from ATGM (also could've sworn someone responded that I was wrong, but I no longer see that post). Another person bringing this up on that thread would perhaps help draw a response or bring attention to it. I've been looking for another 24/40 RMS case since I have one and wanted another.

Crazy, Remember to check the For sale and wanted ads. Last month I picked up 1/18mm and 3/24mm cases. Price was right and the seller had them to me real fast. Long live the F39! Tim Thomas L3

Until we hear something official, can we change the title of this thread? Hardware is scarce enough without triggering a panic/hoarding cycle on a rumor.

I got all my hobby line hardware from Tim at Wildman. No issues with availability there. In fact, I was thinking of picking up a couple more 24/40 cases to try clustering.

I would love to have an 18mm case, but I have not been successful in searching the couple times I tried.

Steve

From looking at the responses on the AT open question thread, it seems they were low on hardware for awhile, but all is right with the world again. Nothing more to see here...move along...move along...and thank GOD...I use my 24/40 case more than any other case I own.

Back