Bent Loc Precision 2.14" BT

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrfytr310

Reaction score
So I purchased a 2.14" Loc Precision BT for my H76 Vulcanite XL project (just making the original a DD) and I think the BT is damaged but I am on the fence if it is too damaged. Pics below:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1437698370.897027.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1437698381.314322.jpg

Kind of hard to see in the pics but it appears the tube was ever so slightly bent at some point in transit from the stockroom to my house. You can see where some compression occurred along the spiral. What do you think? Safe to fly or not risk it? Anyone from Loc Precision out there have an opinion?

How screaming fast is your planned project and I presume you need the whole tube length? Send the seller a photo and you could explain you are concerned about the structural integrity. Especially if you just got the tube from them out of the box today. Might send you a new one without making you return the damaged one. Although, if the box has been sitting around for awhile and you "just" opened it, they might balk.

You could wrap it with a .5oz fiberglass patch and laminating epoxy. Could use .75oz as it's a little bit more robust.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiberglass...964?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b03b3d0bc

I don't think that would be very heavy or noticeable. Kurt

Yeah it came in yesterday, opened it today. I might go ahead and reach out to Loc.

Yeah, you going to go stupid fast? If not, you could do an external patch or if you can access the area internally, brush a layer of epoxy on the inside to internally stiffen the tube. Nothing seen on the outside then.
I couldn't tell how far from the end of the tube the "scruntch" is. Best of luck. Kurt

I need to run the sims for realistic motor selection but I do want to try to get some speed out of this.

I would change it if your going for a
Punchy motor - it's already lost some of the compression strength. Might as well do it now - it will be on your mind the whole time

If it was damaged in shipping, send an email via Loc's websites Contact page and Barry (thats who its been in the past for me) will respond. Make sure you include the tracking info and everything (including photos), they have great customer service.

You could do this, and you could do that, and it depends on the motor, and maybe it's OK... Screw it! The product is defective and LOC should replace it. Period, end of story. In my oinion.

I reached out to Loc last week and hadn't heard anything but I got a notice of a pending shipment from them this morning. I assume they have just decided to send me a new BT but it is kind of strange they didn't correspond directly. Whatever. If a new tube shows up this week, I am a happy camper.

To do an RMA and ship it back is a real PITA for all parties involved. Being able to send a picture so easily these days simplifies things. I believe folks in rocketry are honest when it comes to
stuff like this and LOC is responding in kind. Better just to send a replacement and keep everyone happy. Kurt

Back