DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just added some Centuri 13mm Bs to my order. I Predict a lot of lost (one way or another) rockets at the proposed launch, but it would be serious good times.

Some sacrifices will simply have to be made......not to mention some very low emotional investment rockets out of junk box parts...:)

Yeah, I've got a box of half built and or broken rockets primed for this venture :):):).

Oh Lord NARAM needs to get here soon. 1) because I want my weird motors, and 2) because I keep buying more weird motors. I don't know what I will do with a 10 pack of German long burn 15 mm motors, but I'm gonna find out. Those will need to be a Tripoli launch since I can't find any mention of a North American group ever certifying them.

After all the wind and rain we've had lately, the weather today has me wanting to fly something bad. It's too pretty outside not too.

Yeah, fantastic weather today. Had a business outing today and happened to meet a sales dude from Bosnia who made his way to Texas in the 90's. I asked if his transplant to Texas was the best decision he ever made and if the weather was to his liking and the answer was - Yes.

Any news for April 30th??

A launch is still penciled in, but the forecast is not promising.

In other news - Frisco is done as a flying field. If you have ANY potential leads for a field in the DFW area, please let one of the DARS officers know. Mid power capable would be great, but something that could handle low power would work just fine.

Just noticed the Facebook post. They've installed the orange erosion control silt fence . I bet there won't be much vegetation out there this time next week :(.

Oh man. Frisco field will be missed indeed. Both of the boy's first launches were on that field. :sigh::sad:

What is the rocketry equivalent of pouring one out?

Always sad lose a field to progress. I think you have a nice supply of digital memories for them. I don't suppose the old bp casings and the odd lost rocket will bother the graders too much. On a similar note, I just flew by my first field. I think it could still handle an Alpha on an A; not sure what the local constabulary would have to say about it now.

ackey' field norristown.jpg

It was known as Ackey's Field back in the day and the only structure was a baseball backstop and dirt infield (upper right corner). 3 blocks from my Mom's house.

Last edited:
Always sad lose a field to progress. I think you have a nice supply of digital memories for them. I don't suppose the old bp casings and the odd lost rocket will bother the graders too much. On a similar note, I just flew by my first field. I think it could still handle an Alpha on an A; not sure what the local constabulary would have to say about it now.

View attachment 289285

It was known as Ackey's Field back in the day and the only structure was a baseball backstop and dirt infield (upper right corner). 3 blocks from my Mom's house.

Made me reflect on my first field outside of Cove Gap, PA. Dad's house was the one in the middle, somehow I remember the field being much bigger (also that field across the street was also forest at the time). When I say I am from the middle of nowhere, I mean it.

My first field is now covered by houses. Yes, there was lots of water to deal with, but when you're 10, that's part of the fun.

first field.JPG

Made me reflect on my first field outside of Cove Gap, PA. Dad's house was the one in the middle, somehow I remember the field being much bigger (also that field across the street was also forest at the time). When I say I am from the middle of nowhere, I mean it.

Whoa! I think you're a few miles past the middle of nowhere. :wink:

Is bummers a word? From Jack:

"Well, the Frisco ModRoc site was closed this last weekend. We flew a short TARC practice session there Sun.Apr.23 and the construction fenced surrounded the field by the time we were done. So that is the last time we will use Frisco for our club's ModRoc activities. We knew the end was approaching for over a year, as the four-lane road cut through and the new home developments got started. It was a great field and we got to use it for eight years. Now we need to find another place to call home-field.

AND, DARS members had just successfully found, and negotiated use of, a great looking high-power site about 20 miles east of Waco. But Bad News Again; that site is now on HOLD, as our chain of permission to use it has been broken. The person leasing the land to run his drag-strip has had a terminal run-in with the land's owner. The drag-strip is out!
As are we, until we negotiate a new permission-to-use directly with the owner.

SO, we will see if we can re-activate the ModRoc part of Gunter and keep on looking."

Actually, it's a good time to catch up with repairs. Let's see...first is the steering box on the tractor, then regrading the driveway followed by the septic drain field and next......ah to hell with it. :facepalm:

So there is no real hope of flying anything anytime soon?

Not officially. Depending on how wet it is, we may be able to get into the Gunter site for low-mid power rockets. There is a possibility of H-I flights there, but the actual spot to launch from is a bit problematic to get to.

Another possibility is a group trip to Hearne on the 14th to fly with Tripoli Houston.

Ok... so I'm gunna say something I've been thinking for a while:

I'm new to DARS but not new to rocketry. I started 17-18 years ago with my cousins. We would launch LPR on some cattle pastures that we own in our family as part of our ranch. I've been toying with asking my mother and her brothers if maybe DARS could do a launch out there on one of the pastures. I figure the worst that could happen is they say no. Both pastures that I'm thinking of are about 90 to 100 acres of pure grazing grass (hay) and the only trees are around the border. That's what made them ideal for rockets when we were kids and that's what would also make them ideal now as well. Both fields are still actively used for grazing, hunting and land management stuff so if they don't mind a launch then I can say now that it will be a no sparkies field and most definitely no dog barf field. The nearest bathroom would be a 15min drive away. The biggest hurdle with this idea and DARS that I can think of is the distance. The land is located in the Walker/Grimes county area between Bedias and Crabs Prairie, Texas... making it no closer to Dallas than Hearne. It takes about 3.5 hours to get there from the Dallas area. Anyways, with DARS no longer having any concrete options, I might present this idea to my mother later this week and see what she thinks. She would be our biggest ally in this effort. I doubt a monthly gig would be obtainable but maybe a 3 or 4 time/year thing.

Ok... so I'm gunna say something I've been thinking for a while:

I'm new to DARS but not new to rocketry. I started 17-18 years ago with my cousins. We would launch LPR on some cattle pastures that we own in our family as part of our ranch. I've been toying with asking my mother and her brothers if maybe DARS could do a launch out there on one of the pastures. I figure the worst that could happen is they say no. Both pastures that I'm thinking of are about 90 to 100 acres of pure grazing grass (hay) and the only trees are around the border. That's what made them ideal for rockets when we were kids and that's what would also make them ideal now as well. Both fields are still actively used for grazing, hunting and land management stuff so if they don't mind a launch then I can say now that it will be a no sparkies field and most definitely no dog barf field. The nearest bathroom would be a 15min drive away. The biggest hurdle with this idea and DARS that I can think of is the distance. The land is located in the Walker/Grimes county area between Bedias and Crabs Prairie, Texas... making it no closer to Dallas than Hearne. It takes about 3.5 hours to get there from the Dallas area. Anyways, with DARS no longer having any concrete options, I might present this idea to my mother later this week and see what she thinks. She would be our biggest ally in this effort. I doubt a monthly gig would be obtainable but maybe a 3 or 4 time/year thing.

Yes! A special occasion field.

Back