Map of the Midwest USA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
Here is a map of the Midwest. I posted this to help those on the coasts and any foreign visitors who may decide to attend a rocket launch in "the Midwest".

Map%20of%20the%20Midwest.jpg

Weird Map.
All I know about the mid-west is that Kansas is the most depressing place on Earth.
I sometimes have nightmares that I'm back there.:(

Weird Map.
All I know about the mid-west is that Kansas is the most depressing place on Earth.
I sometimes have nightmares that I'm back there.:(

I'm in Kansas right now. It's not so bad. Little too hot for my taste, but I'm from the land of snow...

Ha Ha - I like it... good map, useful even.

-although there does seem to be a typo (ON instead of ONE) in Lower Kansas.

Or is that South Kansas? :)

Why is this part of the country called the Midwest? There's the East, and there's the West, and this region is in between them. So why not just call it the Middle? I don't see why the word West is incorporated into Midwest. It seems like the Midwest should be just West of the Middle East, somewhere in North Africa.

Once upon a time it was the far West. Before about 1850, Des Moines was a Native American village on the frontier. (I grew up there, but in somewhat more recent times). But that is a funny map, kind of like the New Yorker maps showing the country as seen from various cities in very short-sighted perspective.

Because the west part of the states (the original colonies) was the near west, the west coast was of course the far west and in between....

The Southern areas were not included, that of course being your next question, because they were territories claimed by the French and Spanish.

Why is this part of the country called the Midwest? There's the East, and there's the West, and this region is in between them. So why not just call it the Middle? I don't see why the word West is incorporated into Midwest. It seems like the Midwest should be just West of the Middle East, somewhere in North Africa.

I'm with you we really do need to drop this Eastcoastism that labels states like Wisconsin and Indiana as “Mid West”.

As a native of California I look at anything to the right of the Rocky Mts. as east, so by that standard Colorado is the “Mid-West”.

We could call it the "Mid-East," but then that conjures up images of camels and terrorists. :dark:

Back