AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Charlie
I don't want to step on any toes here, but any propellant shipped UPS or FED EX goes Hazmat

Hi Tim,
No worries, I was specifically addressing orders that can be filled and shipped through USPS. Anything UPS or FedEx comes with the good 'ol $28.50 surcharge, regardless of propellant weights, etc. I should have been more clear, thanks for pointing that out.

ATGM,

Thanks for taking the time to answer the many questions. It makes me feel even better about my recent acquisition of 38 and 54 RMS motor systems.

Greg

Of course it is Jet Hitch. :) (and also some HPR stuff)

New from Aerotech!!!! :)
Acme+Rocket+Skates.png

Of course it is Jet Hitch. :) (and also some HPR stuff)

Ah yes, I was worried about that. But I know business is business and if that's profitable it makes sense. Just don't offer them to the random public off of a website anyone can access! I feel like anyone who gets their hands on an HPR motor, no matter what it's labeled as, should have to be certified or go through some sort of process to show they can be responsible and use it properly. That was a little scary when the website initially went up. Ok, I'm done...mini rant! I still loves me some AeroTech. Always has and will be my favorite motor manufacturer.

...and I can't wait to see the HPR stuff you referenced!!!

Thank you very much for your response Charlie. All is well and I'm sure PyroBob will be happy so I can stop bugging him. Take care.:cheers:

I can retract part of my last post just got a email the 3" Q2G2's are in and mine are saposed to be on the way.
Thanks

So, just to sum up the 29mm F's....
Is it that you guys at aerotech thought they were non-hazmat, but they really are?

Just a lot of back and forth on that, and I lost track of what the consensus was.

Anyone know what gauge wire are the new Firstfire mini's?
And the First fire Jr's as well?

I would like to know that as well. Also, are these minis being sold in individual packs?

EDIT: NVM, I checked and am very glad to see they are now available on valuerockets.com!

Last edited:
I'm not speaking on behalf of Aerotech, but here is what I recall:

All RMS model rocket motors were originally one single grain each.

For the 24mm casing, you could not get more than 30 grams of propellant inside, so the F motors were just a bit more than an E motor (in the low F range) and were under 30 grams.

For the 29/4-120 casing, you had full E motors, Full F motors and as much G motor as they could get with 62.5 grams of propellant. Reloads with more than 62.5 grams, like the old G33 were HPR per the regulations.

For that 29mm Model rocket casing, the full F motors had 80 N-s total impulse and more then 30 grams of propellant. The G motors were not full G motors and had 62.5 grams of propellant and THOSE were chosen to make "mailable" by cutting the propellant slightly to 60 grams and bifurcating into 2 30 gram segments. Total-impulse dropped slightly but costs to ship dropped MUCH more.

I guess they just did not want to bother with cutting the F grains into 2 segments (each of which would be well under 30 grams). Maybe they are considering it now. Maybe not.

Econojets were not all under 30 grams originally. They were re-engineered so that the F Econojets were 30 grams or less. That also reduced total-impulse. But they were shippable.

Is it that you guys at aerotech thought they were non-hazmat, but they really are?

Just a lot of back and forth on that, and I lost track of what the consensus was.

Ah yes, I was worried about that. But I know business is business and if that's profitable it makes sense. Just don't offer them to the random public off of a website anyone can access! I feel like anyone who gets their hands on an HPR motor, no matter what it's labeled as, should have to be certified or go through some sort of process to show they can be responsible and use it properly. That was a little scary when the website initially went up. Ok, I'm done...mini rant! I still loves me some AeroTech. Always has and will be my favorite motor manufacturer.

...and I can't wait to see the HPR stuff you referenced!!!

Get it all out...we're here for you.

Nope I spaced out on the single-grain F motors for the 29/40-120 case and I just now edited the post to reflect that. Sorry for the confusion.

Excellent summary, I think you covered it well. For those of you interested I am looking into the grain cutting, which we did on the G64 I believe.

I'm not speaking on behalf of Aerotech, but here is what I recall:

All RMS model rocket motors were originally one single grain each.

For the 24mm casing, you could not get more than 30 grams of propellant inside, so the F motors were just a bit more than an E motor (in the low F range) and were under 30 grams.

For the 29/4-120 casing, you had full E motors, Full F motors and as much G motor as they could get with 62.5 grams of propellant. Reloads with more than 62.5 grams, like the old G33 were HPR per the regulations.

For that 29mm Model rocket casing, the full F motors had 80 N-s total impulse and more then 30 grams of propellant. The G motors were not full G motors and had 62.5 grams of propellant and THOSE were chosen to make "mailable" by cutting the propellant slightly to 60 grams and bifurcating into 2 30 gram segments. Total-impulse dropped slightly but costs to ship dropped MUCH more.

I guess they just did not want to bother with cutting the F grains into 2 segments (each of which would be well under 30 grams). Maybe they are considering it now. Maybe not.

Econojets were not all under 30 grams originally. They were re-engineered so that the F Econojets were 30 grams or less. That also reduced total-impulse. But they were shippable.

I would rather break out my scotch tape like on the G motor reloads than pay HAZ fees on F motors ..

Kenny

I've done some searching but am unclear so I thought that I would ask. Does Aerotech still make the J350-medium delay, or does the J350-EZ replace that? I would like to get a J350-M. Some people sell it. Others sell the EZ. Thanks.

I've done some searching but am unclear so I thought that I would ask. Does Aerotech still make the J350-medium delay, or does the J350-EZ replace that? I would like to get a J350-M. Some people sell it. Others sell the EZ. Thanks.

The J350s are shipping as RMS Plus reloads and include a LONG delay which the user can drill down to the desired delay time. I hope that clears it up a bit for you, thanks for the question.

I understand the delays are X-ish seconds. As in approximately 10 seconds for an L.

The current Delay Drill Tool allows us to drill in 2 second intervals. So we have to choose 10, 8, or 6 but can never get 9, or 7.

The tool comes with a 1/16th washer. It would be nice to also have a 1/32nd washer. With that combo, we could drill 1 to 8 seconds off any delay. Is this possible?

I understand the delays are X-ish seconds. As in approximately 10 seconds for an L.

The current Delay Drill Tool allows us to drill in 2 second intervals. So we have to choose 10, 8, or 6 but can never get 9, or 7.

The tool comes with a 1/16th washer. It would be nice to also have a 1/32nd washer. With that combo, we could drill 1 to 8 seconds off any delay. Is this possible?

I've often thought of that, and I suppose one could use their own washer, but the delays are only accurate to +/- 2s, so drilling down to 1s resolution probably wouldn't result in much improvement, if I understand correctly.

Nate

L is 14 seconds. M is 10 seconds.

I've often thought of that, and I suppose one could use their own washer, but the delays are only accurate to +/- 2s, so drilling down to 1s resolution probably wouldn't result in much improvement, if I understand correctly.

Nate

This. +1

plus, you're never, ever going to sim that accurately. Or get that consistent results. And, if you really really want accuracy.... get some electronics in there and be done with it.

Sometimes it's hard for the hobby store I part time at to get a return call when we want to make an order. It can take a week and multiple phone calls to get an order placed.

kj

This. +1

plus, you're never, ever going to sim that accurately. Or get that consistent results. And, if you really really want accuracy.... get some electronics in there and be done with it.

Agreed. Electronics are the solution for flyers wanting that precise of a delay on every flight.

Hey Charlie. Hope you are well. Any word on the 54/2560 hardware/ I understand that the casings are at the anodizer now? Any estimated time frame on ship time? I have been waiting for one for over two months at this point. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks and have a good weekend. Oz

Sometimes it's hard for the hobby store I part time at to get a return call when we want to make an order. It can take a week and multiple phone calls to get an order placed.

kj
I email my orders and it is set by the next biz day

Latest posts

Back