Dog barf

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djpaulys

Reaction score
This weekend will be my first time using dog barf
I have a Estes mammoth and wanted to know about how much to use in the rocket on a f motor
I'm guessing about a handful
Can you put too much in the rocket?

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

Wow- 9 views and no response?? C'mon guys-help out a fellow rocketeer! Paul-rule of thumb is 2-3 x the dia of your tube. Crumble it to break up any 'clods' while you load it. Don't cram it in and pack it down! If it's going higher than you are comfortable seeing, add a little carpenter's chalk or powdered tempra paint on top of it. (I use orange a lot!). Be careful because that stuff gets everywhere but leaves a nice tracking cloud at deployment. Anybody can launch a rocket, the trick is getting them back! Straight smoke and good chutes!

Thanks for the advice

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

+1 to the above. For bt60 tubes i sometimes put a sheet of wadding over the mouth of the tube, poke it down a pit, and put the dog barf in on top. It keeps it together instead of running down the tube.

For small rockets like bt20 ones be very careful not to over pack it.

Also +1 on tracking chalk. Cheap from home depot tool section used for making chalk lines.

I usually put a sheet or partial sheet of wadding under the barf as well. The blow test is a good check, pack the rocket and blow in to the motor mount if your lungs can move it the ejection charge can too.

Back