Estes Scorpius 1375 clone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
I started on a clone of an Estes Scorpius last night. I cut the tubes, built the motor mount, and constructed the side pods. Pictures to come. The pod dowels are a lot fiddlier than I would have guessed to get straight and true, I can imagine that a lot of kids in the early '80s got frustrated with this one and either gave up or had results that were less than perfect.

I'm making a few changes over stock - first, due to availability, I'm using a balsa cone. Also, I'll use a ripstop parachute, since I want the recovery system to hold up (I have a feeling this model might be delicate). And I'm substituting basswood in for balsa for the fins - again, because I'd like it to be a little more rugged. I've created a Rocksim file for this one, based on the dimensions given by the part numbers rather than the specs in the catalog. The model is listed as being 15.25" long, however, the PNC-50X was 3.3" long, and the instructions state that the BT-50L is 12.7" long. That adds up to 16", at least it did the last time I checked. That's backed up by the Estes Tube Reference List, so I believe that the catalog was wrong on that front.

I've already purchased the decals for it from Excelsior, but I'm debating color/finish. Actually, I'll probably decide on that when the paint can is in my hand. In the meantime, I expect to start on the fins tonight. I have to stop and pick up 3/32" basswood; I have 1/8" and 1/16" on hand, but of course not that which I need. I hope to have this assembled prior to the next launch in 3 weeks...

After it was all together, I elected to reinforce the wind mounts, since surface mounting small finlets which support a fairly large structure seems marginal. I'm sure the glue joints will firm up as it cures, but still, there's not much contact area. So, I cut paper strips and laminated them wing to wing, across the fuselage, top and bottom. I think I may leave it visible, it sort of adds some panel line detail. But it should add some strength to the wing joints. I guess we'll see...

WP_003166.jpgWP_003165.jpg

I finished painting and decaling this over the weekend. I had some difficulty with the decals, they didn't seem to be the same grade of paper that Gord's stuff usually is, but rather took a long time to soak and were very fragile once loose. One of the larger segments on the side I put one upside down and tried to rotate it 180 degrees while still wet. It worked, but not cleanly. Still, its hard to tell without close inspection. I doubt anyone would look close enough. Pictures to come.

Well, that's unfortunate. I was in the process of working with him of a few other upscales that he didn't list yet. For a while now, when I ordered something from him, I'd hunt around for anything else I might want to build, just to spread out the shipping charge. So I have quite a few decal sets from him already that I haven't yet used, some that I inadvertently ordered twice. I guess its good that I got what I already have...

18730019344_1aa9e41f27_z.jpg

19166383509_ef60b9e0e4_z.jpg

19164917650_665cddfa60_z.jpg

19164950288_274e12d97e_z.jpg

19164943888_ce466917f2_z.jpg

That's the way I remember it... (Except the paint job... this is 1000% better than my stepbrother's job at it (at 12 years old))

Nice Job Rick!

Thanks. Someone actually flew an original Scorpius at LDRS on Friday, but it doesn't seem that anyone got any pictures of it so far. But it flew far straighter then I would've guessed (no cocking or rolling that I could see). Mine has a slight warp to one of the side pods, so I expect that it'll roll a little. Not that that's really a bad thing, it makes it go straighter... :D

Back